"DC's Legends of Tomorrow" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

DC's Legends Of Tomorrow "Phone Home"

A gem.

Nate is pretty much the worst friend ever to Ray for that. I cannot believe Ray isn't even mad. I was scowling during the whole thing, until it turned out to be the Dominator, then I hoped it would rip Nate's head off. And he's doing all that flirting in front of Amaya. What a creep.

I love Ray asking him why he'd ever think to tell Nate his Mom was hot. Why would that ever come up?

I love the end of the Legends stealing the candy from the bullies, and Rory pretty much proving he's got Ray's back and always has.

Gumball was so surprisingly cute. I love that little Ray was right about him all along, and that he made the Men in Black do Singing In The Rain. That was SO funny. I love that Rory likes musicals too.

And when Zari tells Ray at the end she'll maybe catch the movie with him next time, that's a perfect excuse to watch it with him when he gets back on-board the ship. Perfect.

I love that Stein's daughter named the kid Ronnie.

Young Ray is super cute and funny, and just about as earnest and clueless as Big Ray. I see where Big Ray comes from now.

The one thing in the episode I didn't like was Jax being convinced Stein was a traitor. He has a psychic link. He should always know that he isn't doing that. You can keep a secret from somebody without selling that person out. If Stein was actually planning to turn everybody over to the Time Bureau, Jax would have been able to tell that with the psychic link. Worst thought out subplot ever.

I don't even think there NEEDED to be a drama and mystery attached to Stein wanting to be with his daughter as she gave birth. The fact that this show thinks there needs to be shows everything that is wrong with television.

But other than that one thing, I absolutely loved it. ****1/2.

2. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

I'll watch it On Demand when it becomes available in a couple of days, but thanks for sharing that, again, the writers on this show are morons.

3. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]
    "Return of the Mack"
    Thursday, November 7, 2017 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on The CW
    When Nate thinks he has found a pattern to the anachronisms, it leads the Legends to London in 1897 to hunt down a time-traveling vampire.

4. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

Victor Garber must have had FUN playing two roles in this episode.
    Not sure how I feel bringing back an ARROWVERSE villain in this way.
    He has been overused these past couple of seasons.
    Rip was used well.

The Cult of the Blood Red Moon(I believe I heard that name correctly while watching) is from DC.
    They are lead by Mary: Queen of Blood who before she was turned into a vampire was Andrew Bennett's(I...Vampire) girlfriend.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Cult_of_the_Blood_Red_Moon

5. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

DC’s Legends Of Tomorrow “Return Of The Mack”

I liked that a lot. And maybe more than I should have.

The show has steadily been losing me for the past couple of seasons, and Damian Dahrk returning is definitely not something I had been clamoring for. And yet when Sara points out to Rip that he has went rogue and betrayed every single organization he has ever been a part of, the show holds my interest. Rip FOUNDED the Time Bureau and cannot stay loyal even to them.

Does Damian Darhk being resurrected mean there is hope for Leonard Snart? I really hope so. The franchise has been worse for him being gone.

It is a big point in Rip’s favor in that once he’s caught and there is no going back, he stops bargaining and seriously warns Sara about the threat Mollus is, and that she’ll have to be on her guard and her best self. Even after she betrays him back, he realizes that his goal is larger then both of their disintegrating friendship.

John Noble is gonna be Mollus. I recognize his voice anywhere.

Zari’s scenes with the soothsayer was beyond creepy. I’m not sure if that WAS her brother, but if it was, that was a horrible moment. It made my skin crawl.

We never found out if Rory finished the last page of Dracula. Seems like a bit of an oversight. He looks funny in reading glasses.

Not sure what benefit to the episode Stein’s ancestor played. They didn’t even point out that even though he was a villain, they couldn’t kill him for fear of Stein being erased from history.

I think Zari playing Mortal Kombat is funny, but I would actually be more tickled if it were Amara who was the Gamer. They are both displaced from time, but Zari always liked the idea of videogames and could never play them due to her crappy circumstances. It would be funnier to see a woman from the 1940’s getting hooked on future pop culture.

Why is Nate all of the sudden the crazy comic relief character? He wasn’t that last season. It’s a bit strange, to be honest.

The Firestorm drama was the one thing that wasn’t clicking for me. Fortunately, next week looks interesting in that regard.

A good week. ****.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. hobbyfan

Finally watched it On Demand today, as this week's ep isn't On Demand yet.

Why did I even bother?

Ok, I get the "ET" parody with the child Dominator. It dragged, however, and now I realize why my bro and his roommate gave up on this show.

The Blood Red Moon from this week's episode was introduced in House of Mystery (1st series) back in 1980, created by J. Marc DeMatteis.

Let's see now. A modern-day reimagining of Isis. Firestorm's about to be reconfigured. The Blood Red Moon shows up a week after Halloween (since "Phone Home" was the Halloween ep). Dare we hope some more concepts from the mid-to-late-70's-early-80's come a' callin'?

7. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

The face that launched a time ship! Tonight at 9 p.m. ET.

[​IMG]
    "Helen Hunt"
    Thursday, November 14, 2017 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on The CW
    When the Legends track down an anachronism in 1930s Hollywood, they discover it’s none other than a time-displaced Helen of Troy.

8. Road to Gotham

Boy, HUGE Easter Egg in the ending scene.
    An appropriate place to leave Helen of Troy.

Also glad to see Hedy Lamarr get alot of screen time.
    Not only she was an actress but also a an inventor.

http://www.women-inventors.com/Hedy-Lammar.asp

9. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

DC's Legends Of Tomorrow "Helen Hunt"

I kind of loved that. There were a couple of things worth complaining about, (and I will) but all things being equal, that was a great week.

I've never seen a Heddy Lammar movie, but she is one of my favorite actresses from back in the day, because she was a genius, and her backstory was so fascinating. Her telling Martin she preferred older men was laying it on a little thick, but it was a nice moment nonetheless.

For the record, "hall passes" are thought experiments, not an actual thing. You can theoretically give a spouse or loved one permission to cheat with one specific person, but you'd be right to be furious if your SO took you up on that. They are a fun game, but they have no real-world basis.

What's wrong with Stein's wife that she chose Jean-Claude Van Damme? Were I Stein, I'd be insulted she didn't choose somebody better.

Do you know what I wish? I kind of wish that Martin as Jax had to endure some of the racism of old Hollywood. It's like this is the ONE chance he had to make his dream come true, and he was stuck in the wrong body. And perhaps Jax's perspective should have been that that's his default setting as a black man who time travels to the past. I don't think they didn't explore this because it would bum the audience out. They've explored racism before. It's just, Martin grousing about temporary racism, as if he has something to actually complain about, is such a huge sounding issue, that they'd have to lose a ton of other stuff to properly explore it.

I love that the series' perspective is that none of this is Helen of Troy's fault. I was hoping they'd find a workaround at the end, and Themyscira is the perfect place for her. It's the first time we've seen it in the Arrowverse, and that was a heck of a time to introduce it. It strikes me as a bit odd that Sara herself, as a bisexual woman, is immune to Helen's charm, but I think there might be a magical explanation behind Helen's charm, and the magic could literally only effect men. It's a plothole, but one you can explain away.

I love this episode. ****1/2.

#29 Fone Bone, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017 at 1:08 PM
  10. hobbyfan

This isn't the first time Helen has been used as a sort of villain. You'd have to go back to 1974 and the original Night Stalker to find an evil Helen (Cathy Lee Crosby). As soon as Ray mentioned "Freaky Friday", I knew this was not my cup of tea. May still catch up, but I think they're getting all the silly stuff out of the way before Victor Garber leaves. Will watch On Demand or online before the week is over.

11. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a fun episode.
    I wish they didn’t have to get rid of the professor, I’d rather they take out Firestorm altogether than break up the duo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Helen is not a villain in this episode. That's one of the things I like about it.

Also, Victor Garber is leaving? Where did you hear that?

13. hobbyfan

It's been in the press that Garber will be leaving the show at some point. I've read he's going to be doing a Broadway show.

14. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

We are the people that can find whatever you may need! Tonight at 9 p.m. ET.

[​IMG]
    "Welcome to the Jungle"
    Thursday, November 21, 2017 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on The CW
    With Sara out of commission, the team finds a new Anachronism that leads them to the jungles of Vietnam and right in the middle of the war.

15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Grodd joining Darkh’s new Legion of Doom? I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Road to Gotham

Nice seeing Grodd again.
    Would have love to see more of a showdown between Grodd and Vixen. Guess his mind powers overwhelmed her.
    But did they ever say how Grodd got to 1967? Was it Darkh?

Also there seem to a lack of explanation of Sara's recovery. Maybe Grodd's mind control snap her out of it.

All in All I consider this another FUN episode. 'A'

17. hobbyfan

Damien Dahrk is back again as of last week?!? Why? He's already worn out his welcome.

18. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

DC's Legends Of Tomorrow "Welcome To The Jungle"

Seeing Grodd hanging off the Waverider will justify the future purchase of the Blu-Ray of the season for me.

Mick's stuff with his father is amazing on every level. First off, DICK Rory? For reals? Secondly, I love that Mick's biggest fear is having to face what a horrible person his father is head on, only to realize that he, Mick, is actually worse than he is. That's got to blow a kid as damaged as Rory's mind. He can no longer blame his father for turning him into a monster if his father isn't actually a monster. And I love that he prevents his father from becoming a murderer. He saves his life in a way he was unwilling to do when he burned his house down. And that is incredibly moving to me.

I love that Mick is so moved by the experience, that he actually shakes Nate's hand.

You never see LBJ portrayed in on-screen fiction. Ever. This is probably the first time I've seen it. As such, they did not have a huge roster of lookalikes to choose from. I can barely tell it's supposed to be him.

Here is a good complaint: Vancouver sucks as a shooting location. I get it's cheap, but it's just horrible on every level. You cannot do a scene of the hot jungle in Vancouver. You can actually see the chill in the air, and the lighting is darker than Vietnam should be. And this is not a problem when you shoot in L.A. The fact that Alias was able to shoot in L.A. and create convincing stand-ins for everywhere else in the world is not a coincidence. It's a good city for that. Vancouver? I always hear that the actors are miserable in the cold, and it never looks authentic to actual warm places. There has got to be a middle ground between that and L.A.. Because I'm starting to really notice how much Vancouver sucks as a film location, because it is used so much. And the projects that use it are always worse for it.

You do not reason with Grodd. That ship has sailed. He is no longer a misunderstood villain. He is evil incarnate, and a psychopath.

Speaking of which, when Zari becomes alarmed with the idea that Grodd will be brought back to Argus, her mortal enemy, that's Ray's winning argument right there. That "plus he's a gorilla" thing actually hurts his cause. He sounds completely insensitive and prejudiced, which is exactly Zari's problem with Argus in the first place. I'm surprised the show was dumb enough to have her go along with that argument, instead of pointing out the inherent monstrousness present at its core.

I liked Darhk recruiting Grodd at the end, but even if he didn't, I liked Grodd showing up. I love it whenever Flash and Arrow rogues show up on the show, and they has sadly only been saving those occasions for mythology based episodes. But if this was a standalone, and there was no larger arc for Grodd, I'd be totally cool with that too.

Pretty good episode that looks like it was filmed on a Canadian indoor set, instead of a Vietnam jungle. ***1/2.