"DC's Legends of Tomorrow" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Oct 10, 2017.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

Past, present, or future, it's time for season three of DC's Legends of Tomorrow! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

'Like' Legends of Tomorrow on Facebook
    'Follow' Legends of Tomorrow on Twitter

[​IMG]
    "Aruba-Con" - Season Premiere
    Thursday, October 10, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    When the Legends realize that they broke the timeline, Rip Hunter arrives with his new organization – the Time Bureau – to relieve them of duty.

Season One talkback
    Season Two talkback

CWTV.com - Legends of Tomorrow

2. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

Heatwave to Julius Caesar "Your Salad Sucks". :lol:

3. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I can't believe Rip would just fire the Legends like that. But I also can't believe the Legends didn't all try to be heroes in their own time period, or get better jobs based on their connections with Oliver and Barry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

DC’s Legends Of Tomorrow “Rubi-Con”

All things considered, I believe whatever this show’s future history, this episode will be considered the turning point. It’s the Grow The Beard moment. It’s not that the episode is outright great. It’s that is sort of finally nailed the entire concept of the series for the first time ever. And it did so in such a fashion that there will be no further confusion. Definitely not on my end.

The most annoying thing about the show’s first two seasons is that the Legends sucked at their job. Things kept getting worse due to their own foolish mistakes and it was sucking the air out of the room to watch a group of heroes lose week after week due to sheer incompetence. Instead, what this brilliant episode does is say, “That’s the point. They suck at this. They are losers.” The whole “Don’t call us heroes. Call us Legends,” thing always struck me as one of those meaningless catchphrases you always get in genre, that ultimately sound cool but mean nothing (“There is no try”). It’s just a cool thing to end each episode’s introduction on, but it’s stupid, and makes no sense. Until now. They want to be called Legends because they are literally NOT heroes. Because heroes save the day. The Legends tend to make things worse. Oftentimes they’ll improve history incidentally with their mistakes, (see Stein’s daughter) but generally speaking the misfits idea is not just something Rip Hunter misidentified these guys with. They are truly a group of screw-ups.

Even Sarah Lance, who has been portrayed as the stoic professional up to this point. Now she’s the hot mess, and it’s sort of hinted she’s ALWAYS been the hot mess, and we just never realized it. I thought it was incredibly cool that she tells Julius Caesar that conquering the world DOES sound fun. But she doesn’t need him to do it. Strangely enough, I believe her.

Second best Caesar moment was Rory telling him his salad sucks. Which immediately made me wonder when Rory started eating salad. He strikes me as the kind of guy who eat baby calves raw, right out of the veal pen. Without utensils. Funny joke though.

I don’t know what is more alarming. The fact that Rory never questioned why Caesar wasn’t speaking English, or why I didn’t. Seriously embarrassed there. In my defense, the show doesn’t usually bother to explain mistakes like that.

The episode did a ton of things to clarify the Legends’ role. With no higher authority out there, we were previously given no context to the Legends missions and screw-ups. We assume they are righteous, but we have no way to know. Now we see them as the chainsaw to perform brain surgery. We see them as the thing that accidentally makes things better. This show will now be much better for the Time Bureau in it, and someone holding (or not holding) the characters to account. Will I miss Rip Hunter every week, as Arthur Darvill is no longer a series regular? Honestly? No. Rip was getting insufferable by the end, and I couldn’t even stand him by the end of season 1. But his new role, is MUCH more fun, and I enjoy rooting against him, instead of having the show try to make me believe I should root for him. Less Rip will be a good thing if he is used in this capacity.

Game-changer of an episode. *****.

5. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Rip with shorter hair? Not really a good thing.

Time Bureau=Men in Black with the neurolizer guns. I kept waiting for an uncredited cameo by Will Smith, but.....!;)

If they decided to send, say, Ray & Sara back to Star City, then there'd have been teases of crossovers already with Arrow. Klemmer & Guggenheim are too stupid as writers to even consider the obvious possibilities. They're lacking originality (see above).

6. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

The greatest show on earth is not what it seems! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Freakshow"
    Thursday, October 17, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    The Legends find themselves in 1870 to fix the anachronism which happens to be at P.T. Barnum’s fledgling circus.

7. Road to Gotham

When is Bwana Beast not really Bwana Beast? This Episode.
    He looked like Bwana but didn't act like him.
    I guess who could say this way an earlier version of Bwana and Mike Maxwell doesn't become the Hero Bwana until modern times.

http://www.cbr.com/legends-of-tomorrow-bwana-beast/

Overall I did like the episode 'B-'. I just enjoy the 60's Comic feel, over the top, goofy FUN this show gives me.

8. hobbyfan

Too over the top, IMPO. Vixen rejoins the team, and we find that she's having some issues with the Tantu Totem. Don't need two women going on berserker rages on this show.

Billy Zane was fine as Barnum, but do we have to deal with the Time Bureau in every episode? Agent Sharpe seems to be an equal to Sara. Dare we think there's a familial link we don't know about yet?

9. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

DC's Legends Of Tomorrow "Freak Show"

Not great. That being said, I am trying to wrap my head around an episode where Stein complains that he'd never set foot on the Titantic where Billy Zane guest stars as P.T. Barnum. What does that mean? Is there hidden subtext there I'm missing? What is it? It would be SO cool if that weirdness was deliberate. Heh.

I wish the Big Bad were somebody I had heard of. I'm disappointed by the Thinker on The Flash for the same reason. The Arrowverse needs to save some of its major characters from stunts of the week, to Ultimate Evils. Gorilla Grodd or Mark Hamill's Trickster would make a MUCH better Big Bad than Savitar ever did.

The tough guy afraid of clown thing might have been funny had I not seen it a billion times already. Rory and the mini saber-tooth kitten however, was quite adorable.

I think Nate is stupid. Revealing your powers to P.T. Barnum means you are going to kidnapped. I saw that coming a mile away. How does a Historian not know that?

Is that an earlier version of B'wana Beast? Interesting.

Speaking of which. I can buy Barnum knocking the Legends unconscious by surprise and capturing them. But they shouldn't be staying captured for as long as they were. I almost was willing to buy Ray and Jax being forced to stay because both seem a bit useless out of costume, but Steel and Vixen shoulda made short work of thug clowns immediately.

I love that Sara and Sharon take a water break in the middle of the fight. Things were starting to get pointless, I think.

Ray biggest guilt is not returning library books. To me, that's endearing instead of insufferable, but I don't know how many fanboys would agree with me.

Average week. ***.

10. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

In Nate's defense, he was drunk. But no one in that cage could pick a lock?

11. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

Task to the future! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Zari"
    Thursday, October 24, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    When Sara receives a distress call from their “befriended” agent at the Time Bureau, she learns that they have been tasked with going to the future to capture a rogue time traveler.

12. Otaku-sempai

Spoilers for the Vixen animated series:
    Does anyone else think that the totem-bearer who Amaya is meant to connect with and help is her granddaughter Kuasa and not Zari?

#12 Otaku-sempai, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  13. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

DC's Legends Of Tomorrow "Zari"

"I love this show!"

I don't quite agree with Nate there. But I'm getting there.

Rory is all in for a Prison Break. Because of course he is. And he's the kind of guy who will roll with it when it turns into a heist. If anyone kills Haircut, it'll be him.

Zari telling him she wasn't a hero was perfect, because he's the one Legend who isn't either, and could tell her that.

Mick must REALLY trust Sarah's judgment. I was shocked he actually followed her orders to put his hands up and surrender. He is really treating her like his boss, and that this is his legit vocation, which I find interesting.

I have a feeling that Rip would have been none-too-pleased with Agent Sharpe's actions this episode. She's talking about how the kid gloves are now off without taking into consideration that Rip and the Legends are actually friends. I'm kind of thinking she did not have the actual authority to level the threat she did.

Metahumans are outlawed in 2021? Flash Season 8 is gonna suck. The Legends promised to fix it, but as of now, I'm worried about Lilah on Arrow. And for Rip, for the reasons Mick stated.

Good Nick Zano: his weird line reading upon him confirming that he was high. Bad Nick Zano: "I want your face!" Quirkly talk is less fun when there is a creeper subtext to it.

Watergirl, aside from tasting terrible, raises more questions for Amaya to me than Zari does. Watergirl is willing to kill Zari, so that they aren't related. But she seems unwilling to kill Amaya, and says she might as well be killing herself. This leads me to two different conclusions:

1. She is a direct descendant of Amaya, and Mari's kid or grandkid.

2. She is an alternate descendant of Mari, and was created when Amaya agreed to stay on the Warerider a second time. She might be Nate's grandkid. Perhaps that was the reason her first appearance was right after she agreed to do that. She might be a time aberration that occurred due to Amaya and Nate refusing to let the Vixen history play out as it should.

In all likelihood, it's probably the second thing. Because it is something they can fix. I do not like the idea of Amaya being forced to kill one of her descendants, and wiping out her entire bloodline. But the time travel premise itself, with aberrations built into the concept, means it probably won't come to that.

Ray is just as dumb and gullible as a kid as he is an adult. Next week will be fun.

Good week. ****.

14. Otaku-sempai

Watch the Vixen animated series, particularly the second season, and all should be made clear! But for the fast-and-dirty explanation, see my last post above.

Zari is an update of The Mighty Isis, isn't that correct? Did we catch her brother's name? Was it, by any chance, Aadam (as in Black Adam)?

• Like Like x 1
    #14 Otaku-sempai, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  15. hobbyfan

When Isis was rebooted by DC, they made her Black Adam's wife. She was later killed off.

16. Otaku-sempai

Yes, and it seems that she did have a brother in the comics where his name was Amon. Granted a portion of Black Adam's powers, he took on the identity of Osiris. Amon was even a Teen Titan for a while. Death finds him more than once in the comics.

17. hobbyfan

Amon was a DC creation, not sure about any other source material. That was in an era when the Marvel Family's powers were not individual, but rather a case of Mary & CMJr getting some of Cap's powers for whatever reason. (Renaming Captain Marvel as Shazam @ DC wasn't smart, but only because Marvel owns the copyright to Captain Marvel was this done. SMH.)

18. hobbyfan

Finally watched the episode On Demand, a few hours before the next episode.

Looks like WB was able to duplicate the original design of the Isis amulet from 1975. Sweet. Now, if they can get around to releasing The Secrets of Isis on DVD, and not as a MOD release, which would suck.

So Ray was bullied as a kid. Please. This show is all about social/political commentaries and inconsistent comedy. I'll wait and watch this On Demand, as I'll flip to the World Series after Flash.

19. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

Save Ray! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Phone Home"
    Thursday, October 31, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    The Legends learn that Ray Palmer will die because they broke time, causing them to race back to 1988 to try and save his life.

20. Road to Gotham

Nice seeing the Dominators again.
    Poor Nate getting tricked. :eek:
    ET and Back to Future references. :cool:

I wonder if Martin Stein's Grandson, Ronnie will end up fused with Jax to form Firestorm.

This is my favorite CW DC series.
    Just plain ole GOOFY Silver age DC Comics FUN!

Interview with Brandon Routh about the current episode.

https://www.cbr.com/legends-of-tomorrow-season-3-brandon-routh-interview/

#20 Road to Gotham, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017