1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"DC's Legends of Tomorrow" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Jan 21, 2016.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

"All your worlds are about to change." The series premiere of DC's Legends of Tomorrow is tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

'Like' Legends of Tomorrow on Facebook
    'Follow' Legends of Tomorrow on Twitter

[​IMG]

When heroes alone are not enough… the world needs legends. Having seen the future, one he will desperately try to prevent from happening, time-traveling rogue Rip Hunter is tasked with assembling a disparate group of both heroes and villains to confront an unstoppable threat — one in which not only is the planet at stake, but all of time itself. Can this ragtag team defeat an immortal threat unlike anything they have ever known? DC’S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW stars Victor Garber (“The Flash,” “Alias”); Brandon Routh (“Arrow,” “Superman Returns”); Arthur Darvill (“Doctor Who”); Caity Lotz (“Arrow”); Ciarra Renee (“Pippin”); Franz Drameh (“Edge of Tomorrow”); with Dominic Purcell (“The Flash,” “Prison Break”); and Wentworth Miller (“The Flash,” “Prison Break”). Based on the characters from DC Comics, DC’S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television, with executive producers Greg Berlanti (“Arrow,” “The Flash,” upcoming “Pan”), Marc Guggenheim (“Arrow,” “Eli Stone,” “Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters”), Andrew Kreisberg (“Arrow,” “The Flash,” “Eli Stone,” “Warehouse 13”) and Sarah Schechter (“Arrow,” “The Flash,” upcoming “Pan”).

Tonight's episode...

"Pilot, Part I" - Series Premiere
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    In the year 2166, the immortal villain Vandal Savage is on the verge of his final victory – total chaos and the utter destruction of humanity.

CWTV.com - Legends of Tomorrow

2. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Why does this feel like a Marvel show than a DC show? Hunter lied to the team. That is not the way this is supposed to go.

Aside from that quibble......

Sara flirting with Len? Oh, that's rich.

Nice 70's soundtrack w/Earth, Wind, & Fire and Captain & Tennille. Soundtrack CD would be nice.

One commercial used the Chambers Bros.' "Time Has Come Today". Meaning the prospect of a trip to the 60's. Sweet.

3. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

Because it has the same/similar level of camp, which I believe everyone was expecting given the marketing.

It was an okay first ep. Props to the visuals and action, which the ads already gave away the best ones.

4. Jordan Valdés

Based on last night's pilot, my prediction holds true that I wouldn't like this show as much as Arrow or The Flash. That being said, I didn't get hooked on The Flash until several episodes into S1, so it could improve. Even if it stays at the level of the pilot though, I'd still be very pleased. What I'm most eager for is seeing Green Arrow or Flash's futures, which would be like a live-action Batman Beyond-sort of thing, and I think that's the best thing this show has going for it. Other than that, seeing the Legends team in different eras in history will provide for great entertainment every week, so I'm definitely in for the ride. The team dynamic seemed to already be coming together in the pilot. Professor Stein and Jax are hilarious together, and I can tell that Heatwave and Captain Cold will be fun. Also, I love White Canary -- such a badass.

5. hobbyfan

Historically, shows built around time travel other than Doctor Who have not fared well. Time Tunnel comes to mind immediately. Something tells me that even with a Doctor Who alumnus aboard, Legends, unless it rights the ship and quickly, is fated to be another Time Tunnel or Voyagers!, each of which went 1 season. We'll see.

6. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the first episode and I'm glad it managed to pull in some really excellent ratings for The CW. I'm definitely looking forward to next week's episode. I can see how this show might be a bit too dense and hard for new viewers to get caught up on, given how it basically requires knowledge of the Arrow and Flash show but I still thought this first episode did a fine job getting things rolling. I also couldn't help but notice how much better this show looked than Flash and Arrow. It must have a crazy huge budget.

7. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Quantum Leap actually did very well. It was the network that killed it because it was so edgy. Racism, homosexuality, teen pregnancy, the mentally challenged; the series was (no pun intended) far ahead of its time.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

8. hobbyfan

Ah, yeah, forgot about that one. Still, Dr. Who's been around over 50 years, and that, friends, is the gold standard for time travel shows.

9. the greenman

Well, the Dr. Who allusions are inevitable. That's the European Star Trek in popularity.

I thought the pilot was just okay. Some of the characters depiction like Vandal Savage and the Hawks still don't sit well with me. The rushed way of doing this was a turn off, but I accepted it by the end. As first season's go, we'll expect them to pick up a style leading into a season 2. So I'll reserve final judgment till we get to tye end.

10. Action!

Action! Active Member

That show looks awesome. When's the next episode?

11. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

And historically speaking, TV shows about comic book characters never fared well either....... yet here we are. If Legends fails it wont because it tried its hand at time travel. If it fails it'll be because the showrunners never managed to pull off a show revovling around 9 DC characters. It'll fail because they miscast Crump as Savage (the Arrowverse has always been known for its amazing villains) or they wasted the potential of the amazing cast. Tbh with the shows built in audience I can't see why this isn't a guarantee hit. If your already a fan of Flash and Arrow, there's no reason not to watch this show. Even if it manages to just be average, the pure excitment of being able to time travel anywhere to meet other DC characters (you bet your ass there gonna be running into Jonah Hex in the Wild West) should carry the shows ratings at least in its first season.

• Like Like x 1
  12. hobbyfan

Jonah Hex is a given, since that's already been announced. The reference to Per Degaton in the opener would suggest that eventually he'll be cast as well, leading to a trip to World War II or somewhere else where he could turn up.

A comics retcon has Rip related to Booster Gold. Could Michael "Booster Gold" Carter turn up on this show? Possibly. But let's see where we go over the course of this first season, which is only 13 weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Pilot, Part II" January 28, 2016

Part II! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Pilot, Part II"
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    Tipped off to Vandal Savage’s (guest star Casper Crump) whereabouts, the team infiltrates a munitions deal with Professor Stein as their leader.

14. hobbyfan

This show's still finding its way. The fight scenes seem to be saving it from being totally lame.

15. Jordan Valdés

Thought Episode 2 was a good bit better than Episode 1, and I liked Episode 1. I was more emotionally invested in it and there were two epic fight scenes (the way they're filming them is terrific, so that all the members of the team get to shine). I was shocked by Hawkman's death. The conversations between Ray and Snart and between Martin and Jax were really great to see for the development of the team chemistry. A lot of humor mixed in, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

It's very happy to see Miller's Catpain Cold shine the way he has. I mean here was a guy who was easily the third best part of the Flash yet was so out of place anytime he was on the show that it would always take you out of the episode. Captain Cold centric episodes were never my favorite because the black & white world of the Flash needed evil villains not a grayish honorbound thief with a heart of gold. In a world of time traveling speedsters, metahumans and alternate earths, there was no role for someone like Snart which I figured alwasy bummed out the showrunners (Cold was shoehorned anytime they saw an opening so to speak). But his role in Legends is almost too perfect and utlizies his character to it's full potential. He's easily the best part of the show and I wouldn't hate if Legends turned into just him, Heatwave , Canary and Firestorm going around and having time traveling adventures.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. the greenman

Well, the death of Hawkman imho is an improvement. Too bad it more than likely won't be set in stone. I like Garber's Stein arrogant scientist against a team of rogue baddies, something that lacks in Marvel's GOTG.

Conviently staying in the 70's is clearly a budget issue. If Jonah Hex is slated to appear, then I look forward to a Western backdrop soon. Will break out my "Brisco County Jr." set for reused set pieces.

18. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Blood Ties" February 4, 2016

New Legends, right now! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Blood Ties"
    Thursday, February 4, 2016 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    Rip decides to weaken Vandal Savage by going after his financial assets. Rip and Sara infiltrate Savage’s bank, but are discovered by his men.

19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I have to say, I've been pleasantly surprised by how the show has characterized Rip. He's a lot different from what I was expecting given how they were portraying him in the previews for Legends and in interviews. In-spite of how his mission to stop Savage is primarily because of his own personal vendetta, and how he manipulated the rest of the team to join, Rip deep down is a good and honorable person who's still plagued by the loss of his family :(.

It's also tragically ironic that, in his attempts to stop Savage and save his family, Rip actually set Savage on the course to killing them since his attempts to kill Savage led to enough of an enmity between the two that Savage would want to kill Rip's family. It explains why Savage referred to Jonas' dad as "foolish" as if he knew Rip o_O.

I hope the team finally gets their act together after this. They're not going to stand a chance of toppling Savage if they're all too busy doing their own thing and possibly messing with the timeline which leaves them unavailable for the stuff that would require the full team. Compared to Team Arrow, which is basically a fine-tuned machine at this point, they still have a long ways to go :rolleyes:.

Poor Kendra had to bury her son and lover...which I guess might be a first for her, given she usually doesn't survive long after seeing Carter get killed :sweat:.

At least Jax was very resistant to the idea of transporting Snart and Mick to Central City just so they could carry out a robbery. It wouldn't have been very hero-like to just go along with it and help them without a fuss. And it was cool when he just busted in there, without even being Firestorm, and started punching dudes :cool:.

Happy to see Sara is making some genuine progress on her bloodlust, and she and Rip made a pretty good team in this episode :).

To be honest, I had completely forgotten Ray had a dead fiancee which motivated him to become a Superhero. It had been so long since it's come up, and he never really acts like it, that it was kinda surprising to hear it be brought up again :confused:.

It was interesting seeing the two super-smart guys on the team interact more, and it was also nice to see Professor Stein help Ray out of his funk in order to help Kendra, even if he had to lie about remembering Ray as a student to do it. And shrinking down to go into someones body in order to save them is so Atom :D.

So Lewis Snart wasn't always abusive to his family, it was only after he had gotten caught and sent to prison that it turned him into the dirtbag who'd wire his own daughter with an explosive. I guess I can't blame Cold for trying to prevent that from happening, saving both his father and his family from the unhappiness that it's ultimately going to bring (and maybe even saving his fathers life), even if events unfolded that kept the previous history intact.

And now it makes more sense why a seemingly innocent kid eventually became Captain Cold...not only the abuse, but because his future-self told him to always only care about himself and never let anyone hurt him. It's part of a coping mechanism, in some ways. Though I was surprised Snart never mentioned protecting Lisa, since she's one of the only things he seems to care about beyond money and himself, but apparently she still hadn't been born yet.

It also shows how close Snart and Mick are that Mick actually knows where he and Lisa used to live as kids.

So Savage has been cutting up the Hawks' dead bodies to fuel his own cult? Jeez :eek:...

#19 Frontier, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  20. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

As others have mentioned before, I kind of don't like Vandal Savage in this. I don't like how he's tied to the Hawks. I don't like how he's not a caveman.
    And I hope instead of trying to kill him each time, they'll consider other alternatives.
    Like, imprison him in cement, or kidnap him and place him into the far flung future long after the time period where he kills Rip's family. I know the heroes can't kill a kid, but they should consider kidnapping him as a child, and teach him to be good / place him in the future.

I just don't want this battle against him to be drawn out over the course of the whole series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1