1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"DC Universe" Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 7 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Welcome to the "DC Universe" Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 7 (Spoilers), where you can talk about all of DC's upcoming Direct-to-Videos animated features! With a host of DC Comics DTVs on the way, stayed tuned for trailers, interviews, images, reviews, and so much more!

Justice League: War
    Coming February 4, 2014 to Blu-ray and DVD!

Son of Batman
    Coming
    May 6, 2014 to Blu-ray and DVD!

Batman: Assault on Arkham
    Coming Fall 2014 to Blu-ray and DVD!

To check out the newest information, look for the newest post in this thread for any updates. For more news and the latest information on what DC Animation is coming, check out the links below:

-The World's Finest News Page

Archived Threads:
    -"DC Comics Premiere Movie" Animated Features News & Discussion Thread, Part 6
    -The Official DC Animated DTV News & Speculation Thread, Part 5
    -The Official DC Animated DTV News & Speculation Thread, Part 4
    -The Official DC Animated DTV News & Speculation Thread, Part 3
    -The Official DC Animated DTV News & Speculation Thread, Part 2
    -The Official DC Animated DTV News & Speculation Thread, Part 1

Release History:
    Post Your Thoughts!

Related Thread:
    -The "DC Universe Animated Shorts" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Note: Once a DTV title is officially announced, it will be spun off into its own thread. Even if a title has been confirmed as in production, we will wait until an official announcement before creating a thread for said title.

Note #2: DC Universe Animated Original Movie line rebranded DC Comics Premiere Movie as of Superman vs. The Elite. It has been rebranded back to DC Universe Animated Original Movie as of The Dark Knight Returns.

Want to know what Marvel Animation DTVs are coming? Click here for more!

2. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan I Will Find Him!

Yes this is one of the best Superman stories of all-time, guess it'l be released when Man of Steel is out. I just wonder whether the designs will resemble the comics cause I'd love a more slimline Superman.

3. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

Superman: Brainiac sounds good to me. We already have The Dark Knight Returns two-parter and Flashpoint coming, so I'm wondering if this won't see release until later, about when The Man of Steel movie comes out. I just hope the animation is back up to standards for the next batch of films and not weak like Justice League: Doom and Superman vs. the Elite.

4. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

I actually have that storyline, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Still though, I haven't read something from Geoff Johns that I didn't like so I'm sure I'll like it. I hope they also try to adapt Gary Frank's art style the way did with McGuiness and Turner for the two Superman/Batman​ movies.

5. Hero Supreme

Hero Supreme Mr Jinx No More

Thank goodness for the news. It would have been a travesty for Comic Con to have come and gone without any news on upcoming movies. Having said that, I was really hoping for Sinestro Corps War... Oh well. Hopefully that territory will be covered in the animated series.

It looks like "Not another Superman / Batman title" folks will be up in arms. :) But as long as these movies keep selling well enough to continue their existence AND they maintain a level of quality, I can't complain. Hopefully someday they will get to Superman: Red Son.

I am not familiar with Superman: Brainiac but I do think its only fair after the abysmal Superman: Brainiac Attacks that they give the characters a chance for redemption. Anyways, is it safe to assume this is the description?

6. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan I Will Find Him!

Justice League Doom animation was superb, absolute top notch. I do agree Superman vs the Elite animation wasn't the best but it was actually pretty good when you watched it in action,

Its superb, I'd recommend it to anyone. Infact when I read it I read the Last Son story arc, then the Legion of Super-heroes story arc and then this one.

7. Bat-Fan Beyond

I've debated it before -- I just don't think the animation, or the story for that matter, is as good as most previous DC animated movies, including its predecessor, Crisis on Two Earths, which uses very similar designs.

8. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Molly Quinn is gret on 'Castle'

I'm sure she'll be an excellent choice to voice Supergirl.

9. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

Who would be up for an adaptation of Last Son?

10. dtemplar

dtemplar Old School Professor
    Reporter

A little reminder that both Geoff Johns and Gary Frank are also the same guys working on the red hot "Curse of Shazam!" backup story in the pages of Justice League. I still think that Warner and DC should do more animated movies with characters outside the big four. Captain Marvel (Shazam!) is one of those heroes, and either The Power of Shazam! or The Curse of Shazam! should be two perfect choices.

I loved both titles, I still believe that Justice League: Doom should've stick with the idea from Tower of Babel and using Ra's Al Ghul. And Superman Vs. The Elite had one of the best fight scenes I ever saw in a "DC Comics Premiere Movie", especially when Supes went a little cukoo!

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Found two tweets on Molly Quinn's Twitter account about Superman: Brainiac, here and here.

The Man of Steel comes out June 14, 2013. Stands to reason Superman: Brainiac will come out the same month. Green Lantern came out June 14, 2011. Green Lantern: Emerald Knights came out the week before June 7, 2011. I'm guessing Superman: Brainiac will come out June 4, 2013.

I'm pretty sure this Justice League: Flashpoint is a ways to go as Conroy said he just recorded for it (back in April). Looking back at an example of the production process, this Flashpoint movie probably won't be out until fall 2014.

The only mystery is what the fall 2013 movie will be. Fingers crossed but it could still be the Green Lantern project Alan Burnett and Geoff Johns alluded to be working on back in July 2011 (17:04 mark in podcast here).

Both is better. :D

:cool: That survey. Could be.

12. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

If we can get Gary Frank's designs into Animation (and have them look good) I will be all over this DTV! Who am I kidding I'll watch it either way. lol. Though I really do hope they stick with the comics art design closely along with having Superman's classic costume. ;) But aside from those few wishes this is probably the best news I have heard in a long time. I absolutely loved all of the Johns/Frank Superman stories/comics, (before Johns became not as cool, :( )
    While I may not be looking forward to "The Dark...er The Man Of Steel" ;) I am so pumped for "Superman: Brainiac."
    :D

D.

13. Lord Sidious

Lord Sidious Active Member

Wait, Flashpoint is a Justice League movie?????

Well most likely the 3rd movie for fall 2013 is Flashpoint.

14. supergirl's pal

supergirl's pal Give us a SBFF Animated Series

I am really excited that we will have another animated movie with Supergirl in it! I think Molly Quinn will do a great job as Kara. I wonder if the movie will include that scene between Supergirl and Cat Grant that involved X-ray vision and implants...

15. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

I have Johns' full run on Action Comics, it's just a matter of reading it at this point.

I think the colours in Doom looked more dull in comparison to CO2E, but the animation seemed fine to me.

16. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

Who would b up for a movie based on the Bugs Bunny Superman comic series

17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Uhh...so I guess there's no need to panic. We just won't see 'Warner Premiere' stamped all over the DVD covers.

Link: "Warner Bros. Shuts Down Warner Premiere"

18. Bat-Fan Beyond

I hope you're right. With Dark Knight Returns Part 1 coming out soon, it wouldn't be good for anyone without the promise of Part 2 to follow. Still, one has to wonder if this will effect any future DC Animated Movie releases.

19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

In theory, take how (except for this year) they had to finish a movie to air it on Comic Con. So that was 2-3 months before the release date. So for Part 2, it would be theoretically done by November... which is still 'fall.' I think the titles that are more in question would be the Superman: Brainiac and Flashpoint adaptations.

But the staff for these movies were primarily WBA and the article mentions the staff for WB Premiere were 'single digits'. So I'm thinking marketing, accounting, that sort of thing. Not the animation crew themselves. I have no clue what business structure that WB uses, so what Premiere did for the DC Universe line is a mystery, imo. Maybe they were the ones who set the annual budget for the three movies a year? And with 4 TV shows and all those shorts already being produced for WBA, they might be doing some guerrilla production work on TDKR Part 2 while all this shifting of units takes place.

I'm hoping an official press release comes out this week or next detailing the future of the DC Universe line.

20. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

To be honest... I've felt this coming for a while now. And the fact that they didn't have any announcements at Comic-Con was very telling.

Sure they can claim that the movie wasn't quite ready or they didn't book the panel in time (yet they had time and the foresight to book DC Nation?), but really... they just didn't want to spend the money or energy on it. Now I'm not saying that the DC Universe DVD line is coming to an end but it certainly leaves it on shaky ground.

- The budgets seem to have been pulled back. (This is just what I feel)
    - The marketing has been much quieter for these releases. A trailer, a few interviews and images.
    - No merchandise. Not that they ever did much before but since All Star Superman there has been nothing at all.
    - They seem ever more determined to stick to Batman/Superman/Justice League movies now.

Now The Dark Knight Returns Part One and Part Two is definitely safe... no need to worry about those. The article did say things will work into the fall.

And I think the other two titles next year (Superman: Brainiac and Justice League: Flashpoint) will be somewhat safe. After all, they are no doubt animating them now. Why waste all that energy and money (especially when one can act as a tie-in to Man of Steel next summer).

EDIT:

Seems like all is well... and things (for now) will continue as normal and be released under the ''Warner Home Video'' banner as usual.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/warner-premiere-direct-to-video-close/

http://moviehole.net/201256623warner-premiere-home-of-the-lost-boys-2-3-shuts-up-shop

#20 Pfeiffer-Pfan, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.