1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"DC Universe" Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 5 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Welcome to the The Official Upcoming DC Animated DTV News & Speculation Thread, Part 5, where you can talk about all of DC's upcoming Direct-to-Videos animated features! With a host of DC DTVs on the way, stayed tuned for trailers, interviews, images, reviews, and so much more!

Batman: Under the Hood
    Coming July 27th, 2010 to Blu-ray and DVD!

Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
    Coming Fall 2010 to Blu-ray and DVD!

Untitled Green Lantern Animated Feature
    Coming Summer 2011 to Blu-ray and DVD!

To check out the newest information, look for the newest post in this thread for any updates. For more news and the latest information on what DC Animation is coming, check out the links below:

-The World's Finest News Page

Current Upcoming DTVs Officially Officially Scheduled For Release:
    -Batman: Under the Red Hood (Discussion Thread)
    -Superman/Batman: Apocalypse (Discussion Thread)
    -Untitled Green Lantern Animated Feature (Discussion Thread)

Archived Threads:
    -The Official DC Animated DTV News & Speculation Thread, Part 4
    -The Official DC Animated DTV News & Speculation Thread, Part 3
    -The Official DC Animated DTV News & Speculation Thread, Part 2
    -The Official DC Animated DTV News & Speculation Thread, Part 1

Post Your Thoughts!

Related Thread:
    -The "DC Universe Animated Shorts" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Note: Once a DTV title is officially announced, it will be spun off into its own thread. Even if a title has been confirmed as in production, we will wait until an official announcement before creating a thread for said title.

Want to know what Marvel Animation DTVs are coming? Click here for more!

2. dtemplar

dtemplar Old School Professor
    Reporter

Warner has updated their DC Universe DVD site by adding Green Lantern: First Flight.

3. charles At NC

charles At NC Member

I like to see them send hawkgirl and the JUL to thenagar

and a Harley and ivy DTV would be nice too :harley:

4. DerekPowers

DerekPowers Ruler of Gotham City, 2049

I think a Flash DTV is a given, but lets not jinx it...

The Bruce Timm interview for GL: First Flight was good, and insightful on his level of involvement. Although he isnt as involved as past projects, I do think his influence is strongly on the DTVs, not just in design, but perhaps, for example, in WW, more so in like pacing and how fights and action are staged and stuff. I do still see some-what of a progression from where JLU left off and WW, and its evident that his genius is at work.

Having said that, I still am patiently waiting for a DTV project where Bruce Timm is "behind the wheel". It could be absolutely anything, as long as he is at the helm the same way he was in BTAS through JLU. I'd kind of perfer a non-DCAU dtv, having seen the great possibilities it allows, but down the line, wouldnt a JLU dtv be the perfect project :) ?

Anyway, how about a DTV SERIES, an original project perhaps? Or something other than DC? I think there is actually a demand for that out there, not just original DTV animated series, but more importantly, for a Bruce Timm project, one where its HIS project. I'd love to see that coming up. It would sell itself, for years to come.

That would be what I'd like to see from the DTV line.

#4 DerekPowers, Jun 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2009
  5. Dayspring

Dayspring Active Member

According to another thread:

For more news, check out the "DC Universe Animated Shorts" thread (though there obviously isn't much yet).

6. SaBaWoJuLe

SaBaWoJuLe Active Member

I was thinking this recently; since they've been talking sequels for both Wonder Woman and Green Lantern: First Flight, I would love to see a sequel(s) to Superman Doomsday as well. As for what the story would be for a sequel to that Superman movie, well the clue to what kind is in that movie already. Doomsday was inspired on "The Death and Return of Superman", an event. Well, there are more events of Superman, why not adapt those as the sequels? That's a nice idea. We could have a DTV of "Superman Blue/Superman Red", to even "Our Worlds at War", and more. Hell, even John Bryne's "The Man of Steel" was an event of sorts, so maybe that. Ther was even a Superman event prior to "Death" called "Panic in the Sky", on Warworld, Mongul and I believe Brainiac. So Timm and co. could do that.

On Wonder Woman; they had a Diana and a story similar to Perez' run, so continue from there. I would love to see (and DC should release a trade of this) the Perez Wonder Woman event "War of the Gods" as a DTV. Rucka's run is a good source for great stories (main one being "Eyes of the Gorgon"). For Green Lantern; obviously "Sinestro Corps War", Hal's fall to and rise out from being Parallax would be a powerful story (Kyle would probably be the main character that Hal trains when it happens). And of course, there's Superman/Batman. They've adapted the first arc of an ongoing series, and there is alot more great stories that came after. From Loeb/Turner's "Supergirl", to even "K" and the stories that came after by the current creative team.

Basically, that's my idea. Pretty cool one, too.

#6 SaBaWoJuLe, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2009
  7. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

The World's Finest update from yesterday here that had info on the new animated shorts coming also mentioned this:
    So this means we have at least four DC DTVs in the work. It's amazing they have so many going at once. Any ideas what they could be? I know there were rumors of a Batman solo one and a maybe a Flash one?

8. Goof Troop

Goof Troop Member

Perhaps that number includes the four DTVs that have already been released. (?)

9. GL's Light

GL's Light Keeper of the Green Flame

No, it would be forthcoming releases. Past releases wouldn't be termed to be "in production".

10. Dayspring

Dayspring Active Member

4 to 6 shorts? Not bad.

To answer your question, we know one of them is a Jonah Hex short. I'd guess you're right about the Batman one since it's too soon to have a Batman solo project when he's starred in the previous DCU, the only cartoon, and the only live-action movie, yet we know a Bat-script has recently been made and heavy rumors say the next DTV is Bat-related. If Superman/Batman's trailer isn't for Flash, I'd guess it's a short as well.

EDIT: Maybe the Wonder Woman sequel will be one of the shorts as well.

11. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

Perhaps these shorts are intended to test the waters for potential full-length DTVS? Jonah is a character Timm and co clearly like, but perhaps WB is nervous about centering an entire film around him. By making a 6 minute short and tossing it onto a Green Lantern DVD, they can judge from public reaction whether or not there's an opportunity to move forward with a full movie.

I would rather not see a WW short. There's already a set-up in place for a full-length sequel (Princess Diana balances a real life in downtown New York with boyfriend Steve Trevor, while fighting the Cheetah) and I don't want to see it reduced to a short. The original film's running time was packed enough. Let's make the sequel a full film. The premise (vague as it might be at the moment) seems just big enough to fill the running time without packing everything in too tightly.

A Catwoman short? Yeah. THAT would work just fine. I suspect she might be next up after Jonah, and in Darwin's style. She's as recognizable a DC character as there is, and works very well in small doses (as "Chase Me" proved).

12. Dayspring

Dayspring Active Member

That's a great idea for a short! Plausible too, since b.t. expressed interest in wanting to do a Catwoman project of some kind.

13. GL's Light

GL's Light Keeper of the Green Flame

The Question is a character who'll never get a full-length DTV of his own, but could well get a short, especially knowing how much Bruce Timm & Co like the character.

Plastic Man is another character who's made-to-order for animated shorts.

14. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

15. Weibart

Weibart Intercept Now!
    Reporter

I can understand why The Killing Joke has the rep that it does, but I have some pretty big reservations about it so I'm not dying to see that adapted:

[xspoiler=Thoughts on The Killing Joke (Spoilers!)]My big problems with it are Joker's humanising flashbacks and the laugh Joker and Batman share at the end. The latter galls me, because Batman would never share a moment like that with him and its such a nonsensical punctuation to the story.[/xspoiler]It presents some interesting ideas and certain emotional weight but I think we saw the best parts of it were used in The Dark Knight. I think much better stories could be told between Batman and Joker and I don't think this should be one of them...

16. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

17. dtemplar

dtemplar Old School Professor
    Reporter

My thoughts for Killing Joke:

1. Get Paul Dini to write the script.
    2. Get Bruce Timm to direct it.
    3. Get Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill to reprise the roles of Batman and the Joker, respectively.
    4. Make both PG13 and R Rated versions.
    5. Buy the darn thing!

18. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I like Killing Joke and I'm not rushing to see that turned into a movie just yet. My favorite part of the book is the Brian Bolland artwork. To see that transferred to animation one day would be incredible. I hope if or when they do make it that it will come close to blowing my mind.

19. Joker1238

Joker1238 Active Member

Would loved to see a movie, mostly in the comic art forum.

20. Christo

Christo Member

Is there another DC Animation Panel sometime this weekend at SDCC? I have to say I'm stunned that we have no confirmation of what is to come after Public Enemies (Will it even have a preview of the next feature?).

Only thing for sure seems to be the Jonah Hex short and a lot of rumors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.