1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"DC: The New Frontier" Mini-Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by Marc, Jan 21, 2004.

?

Rate and Comment on This Comic Series!

1. *****

87.5%
  2. ****1/2

12.5%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Clayface

Clayface Molecularly Malleable Mod

The thrilling miniseries continues to build to an awesome conclusion!

DC: THE NEW FRONTIER #5 (of 6)

[​IMG]

Written by: Darwyn Cooke
    Art and cover by: Cooke

An immense, unstoppable force lands on America’s doorstep, ravaging everything in its path! The DC Universe’s greatest heroes are called into action — but even their combined efforts may be no match for this deadly new foe. Enter: the new champions of the Silver Age!

Comments?

2. Jor-El

Jor-El Krypton is doomed.

Finally! Hal in the GL suit, albeit only for a handful of pages. But for those precious few pages, I was in complete ecstasy. Darwin Cooke is a God amount comic book creators. 5 stars.

3. TwoPossums

TwoPossums Knows when ta hold 'em

Ooooooo. Good stuff. I just love Darwyn's artwork. And we finally get to see Hal Jordan with The Ring.

4. Clayface

Clayface Molecularly Malleable Mod

DC: THE NEW FRONTIER #6 (of 6)

[​IMG]

Art and cover by: Cooke

Darwyn Cooke’s epic miniseries concludes as post-war America faces a monstrous threat older than Vandal Savage! Will this challenge bring America and its heroes back together or tear them apart? Featuring Green Lantern, The Flash, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and more!

Comments?

5. Jor-El

Jor-El Krypton is doomed.

One day, maybe DC will make some of those last few pages posters. I would kill for them, especially that two page splash and the final page of the rendering of Starro from Brave and the Bold #28. I'll miss this book. A+ Let's hope that Cooke does more work for DC (and especiall GL) soon

6. Krypton710

Krypton710 LOOK!!! BEHIND YOU!!!

I just recently picked this up from a local bookstore and absoultley loved it. On to the point does any one know when volume two will be released? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in adavance. :D

7. The Detective

The Detective Active Member

I got this last Friday myself and was planning on making a topic about it. :p Guess you beat me to it. Anyway, I loved it. The artwork is simply gorgeos, I could stare at it all day. Love the story too. Especially how we originally got all these unrelated plots going on, and now they are all colliding together. I can't wait to pick up Vol. 2.

</The Detective>

8. Damien

Damien Watching

Wasn't it only six parts? If the collection has been released and that's what you have, I think that's all there is, unless Vol. 1 is only the first three.
    But yeah, it's awesome, although I still think there could have been a more practical enemy than a living, floating island with a bunch of monsters flying around it.

9. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Howdy,

Volume 1 is only the first 3 issues. Volume 2 is due in April.

Darwyn Cooke commented specifically why it's 2 volumes rather than just one. It was on Millarworld, but it's gone now, so I'll lift a chunk of his comments now in case the blog above goes away, too:

It's a tough call -- while I'd like a single NF volume, it'd end up being one hefty volume that'd probably be pushing a $30 price point, which would mean the casual reader won't touch it. Cooke does comment that he has lots of extra stuff, so it's possible that an "Absolute" hardcover edition will be made for the hardcore collector audience.

-- Ed/Ace

10. Krypton710

Krypton710 LOOK!!! BEHIND YOU!!!

Thanks for the help all, looking foward to the next volume since i missed the series first time around :)

11. Ed Liu

Howdy,

For those who don't read TZ News, Darwyn Cooke was just interviewed at length about DC: The New Frontier on the Silver Bullet Comic Books website. Good stuff, even if some of it is kind of depressing (a Darwyn Cooke Batman arc that would have introduced six new villains with no ties to past continuity in the hope that one of them will stick with Batman being Batman without the 18 other Gotham crimefighters hanging around, and it got blown off? For "War Games"???).

For those who DO read TZ News and are here because of the Talkback link, um, "Hi!"

While we're all here, I figured I'd hijack this thread as the Official DC: The New Frontier talkback thread. I recall it got a lot of attention when it debuted, but the bimonthly schedule and the obvious Grand Scheme structure of the book made discussing it kind of difficult. Now that it's all out and half of it is taking up bookshelf space now, whaddya think?

-- Ed/Ace

12. The Detective

The Detective Active Member

It won't load for me....my PC keeps getting stuck on some animation that is trying to load. Which is odd......

</The Detective>

13. Hatter

Hatter Active Member

Good interview, although he's gone down a couple of pegs in my mind for badmouthing Kevin Smith like that.

14. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

With the release of Justice League: The New Frontier (feature talkback, DVD talkback), let's look back at the classic comic series that inspired it!

DC: THE NEW FRONTIER

[​IMG]

Art and Cover by: Darwyn Cooke

World War II is over. The Cold War has begun. The Age of the Superhero is in decline. But where are the heroes of tomorrow? The New Frontier recounts the dawning of the DCU's Silver Age from the perspective of those brave individuals who made it happen. Encounter "keepers of the flame" including Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman, who survived the anti-hero sentiment of the Cold War, as well as eager newcomers like test pilot Hal Jordan and scientist Barry Allen, poised to become the next generation of crimefighters. Cooke, a master storyteller, writes and illustrates this landmark tale, a must-have for fans of the DCU and all lovers of powerful tales of heroism!

Comments?

15. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

After watching the Justice League: The New Frontier movie I had to revisit this comic and the other Darwyn Cooke book I have, Batman: Ego.

I always thought The New Frontier was a bit slow to start but then after re-reading it a few times I remembered that this needed it. It needed to show alot of what happened before we get to the main story and I'm surprised that DC let Cooke make this huge build toward the main story which doesn't really kick in until the second book in the series. If anything this book also gives a nicve punch to DC's heroes. This brings a new look to them and sort of reinvents a couple of them too. Wonder Woman is now a really savvy character and Superman is pushed into a sort of life that conflicts with his own morals. And Batman? Well Batman is just amazing here. His role is small but it's really effective. If anything this book made me appreciate the characters of Hal Jordan, Barry Allen and Martian Manhunter. I didn't know alot about these heroes before reading this but this bookr eally gave them a new perspective.

There's alot of great moments, like the whole back story with John Henry and the Dinosaur fight in the first issue. Cooke really knows how to make everything really jump off the page. I always liked his style and it really comes out here. As a comic book fan and a fan of history in general this book really is a must own.

16. Ed Liu

I busted out the Absolute edition and re-read it cover-to-cover in preparation for the DVD and my review for Toon Zone News. It's the first time I've ever read the whole thing in one sitting, and I seem to enjoy it more and more each time I do. Some moments are amazing, even when you know they're coming (the closing pages of the Losers sequence still gets me every time), but it's really surprising to see how well the whole thing holds together and is a real, serious long-form story. All kinds of little things introduced at the start pay off at the end in surprising ways.

That being said, there are a few moments when I think Cooke does go overboard a bit. The scene early in the book where Ace Morgan pulls the insane mid-air rescue is a bit too much. I'm also not fond of King Faraday's sacrifice at the end, especially since it seems like it came way out of nowhere and existed more as a plot hammer to get J'onn good and mad rather than as a real organic addition to the story. He never seemed to have any psychic sensitivity before, so why did he have enough to take the Center away from J'onn? Makes no sense.

I also get a kind of squicky vibe in the prize fight between Wildcat Grant and Cassius Clay (who would later become known as Muhammad Ali). I understand what's being said and done there in context, but the way Grant says at the end that "This is my fight. These are my people. And for one last time, I am their champion" seems like it'd be REALLY easy to misread into a racial statement. I am not even suggesting that this is what Darwyn Cooke intended -- just that it's a bit easy to read it that way if you're so inclined. I was glad that they not only removed the scene for the movie, but also changed "Clay" to "Cooke," even if it means poor Darwyn ends up eating canvas at the end of the fight we don't get to see ;).

Cooke also really knows how to deploy splashes. Pages like "...And I take flight" and Hal Jordan saying goodbye to Carol Ferris are awesome no matter how many times you see them.

Long story short -- it's a great book and I'm even happier that I spent the money to get the Absolute edition. Only thing better would be to own original art, but THAT ain't gonna happen for a good, long time.

-- Ed

17. FightingDreamer

FightingDreamer Mutant on the Rise

I don't read a lot of comics, so it takes a lot to impress me. When the announcement for the New Frontier movie came out, the storyline intrigued me, and I eventually got both of the TPBs made for the series this past Christmas.

And this is one of the best comics I've ever read. The art is simply magnificent, while the characters and their stories are deeply compelling. I like that the overarching plot of the Centre doesn't overwhelm things; Cooke hints at the alien being's powers and plan subtly, which makes the full reveal even more awesome, and it allows Cooke to focus more on the characters than a traditional story structure.

I think I like Faraday's sacrifice a little more than you, Ed Liu. I suppose it's pretty unsubtle, but the panel of J'onn reaching out towards Faraday's body ("KING!") makes me choke up every time.

18. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Without a Doubt, A Modern Classic

Last night, I received both volumes of DC: New Frontier as an early Christmas gift, which was something that I openly asked for.

It is the first graphic novel I have ever owned for an American comic. More importantly than that, it was amazing. Truly excellent. Just like that, Darwyn Cooke has become the subject of my great admiration. Everything that made Justice League: New Frontier such a treat to me was amplified. It honestly recalled that concept of the superhero as a heroic ideal while showing us a realistic, honest view of post-WWII American society.

That such honest forms of both idealism and realism can exist in the same story with both being believable is stunning to me. Writers everywhere should look at this story and take notes. You don't need to write superheroes as morally ambiguous, angsty figures to do a story that is mature or deep or complex.

Those John Henry Irons scenes...they were powerful and sobering and brilliant. I could discuss them at length, but I feel as though saying any more would just distract from that simple truth.

After that, my favorite parts probably belong to J'onn. He gets around and interacts with lots of characters, and I loved seeing his efforts to assimilate into our society. And he drove home the prejudice issue so well, I loved seeing his character arc tied into what happens to John Henry and The Flash.

The ending I certainly enjoyed, though I was familiar with it thanks to JL: New Frontier. I did notice that in the comic Batman isn't a presence in the big battle, but to me this is fine since that just let other heroes get some more attention. What really hit me though was the epilogue. Mostly, I was stunned at how faithfully JL: New Frontier recreated it. Seeing the original art that inspired that was something else, and it really just brings home to me how powerful the whole thing is. In the comic, it's good. In the animation, to me it's simply stunning.

I love this. I adore this. Everyone should read it.

Also, I love that Cooke interview that was posted much earlier. I think he's absolutely dead on right in just about everything he says. Especially about how comics don't try hard enough to have mass appeal, and about the illusion that somehow the times of today are so much more complex and difficult than they were 50-60 years ago. That is, as he says, absolute BS in my opinion.

19. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've owned the two graphic novels since May or June and they are spectacular. It's one of my favorite stories and Darwyn is a great talent, for writing and drawing. I dont think I can add much more to the discussion except my admiration for it. 5 stars.

20. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

One of the best DC Comics stories ever published! Now available in a new over-sized Deluxe Edition hardcover release!

DC: THE NEW FRONTIER

[​IMG]

Art and Cover by: Darwyn Cooke

World War II is over. The Cold War has begun. The Age of the Superhero is in decline. But where are the heroes of tomorrow? The New Frontier recounts the dawning of the DCU's Silver Age from the perspective of those brave individuals who made it happen. Encounter "keepers of the flame" including Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman, who survived the anti-hero sentiment of the Cold War, as well as eager newcomers like test pilot Hal Jordan and scientist Barry Allen, poised to become the next generation of crimefighters. Cooke, a master storyteller, writes and illustrates this landmark tale, a must-have for fans of the DCU and all lovers of powerful tales of heroism!

Comments? Discuss this classic comic series!
    (Believe me - this series is worth discussing again!)