1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"DC: The New Frontier" Mini-Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by Marc, Jan 21, 2004.

?

Rate and Comment on This Comic Series!

1. *****

87.5%
  2. ****1/2

12.5%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nick K.

Nick K. Active Member

Hey I read #s 1 & 2. Great story going and great collaboration of characters, Definitely worth reading, can't wait for the rest of the series. A+ all the way, must read!!! Pick it up now!!!

2. The Xenos

The Xenos Creature of the Night

Gaaargh... belive it or not, I passed on this. I was very very much looking forward to it as I love Cooke's work... but then I saw the price tag and decided to wait for a trade. $7 and it wasn't even swaure bound in that prestige format format. It kileld me not to get it... but I still may cave in if my small local store still has it.. but I just felt DC was ripping us off at that price.

The thing that I ehar is that Cooke wanted it staple bound.. but at like $5 o6 $6. But DC screwed over him and US. I heard this at Lying in the Gutters at CBR.

Bah.. I'm likely gonna cave because it looks simply amazing and it's killing me not reading it.. bah. PLus one of my comic guys said he doubts the trade will come out too soon. What do you think? I know the book's wonderful.. but is it worth the steep price right now or is it worth waiting for a nice collected edition?

-Xenos

3. Damien

Damien Watching

I'm trying to get every issue just to have each one, like with my Untold Legend of the Batman and Man of Steel mini-series. I didn't want to chance waiting on a trade of The New Frontier. Just think, Man of Steel just came out in TPB, and the series is from '86.

4. Jor-El

Jor-El Krypton is doomed.

Actually, I have the fourth printing of the TPB and it looks like it's from 1993. I honestly don't know when the first printing of the TPB was, but take solace in the fact that it didn't take this series until 2003 to get published in TPB. :)

In response to myself earlier, where I said that only #2 could beat the greatness of #1, I was right: #2 was definitely the coolest comic I've read in I-don't-know-how-long.

5. Damien

Damien Watching

Oh, that's good. I was wondering why it took so long.

6. The_NewCatwoman

The_NewCatwoman Oh you've got to be kidding me

I'm one of those people who was impressed by #1 mostly because it was just a good story and it was by my favorite writer/artist, but #2 blew me away. It was just simply unbelievable. I really can't describe what makes it so good, but it just... was. It's well, I guess it's just classic.

tNC

7. Fernus

Fernus Abraham Sapien

I just recived issue three today, and I am enjoying these more and more as they come out.

I hear it's supposed to be an overall Hal Jordan story, but I think it's doing well in using many other characters. We've seen Carol Ferris (Star Sapphire. Irony. ) date Hal Jordan in the recent issue. Last issue, Barry Allen was introduced as Flash and fought, who I am really assuming, is Captain Cold (I don't remember him being named). The tension between Wonder Woman and Superman in issue two is one of my favorite parts, where she helped the women hold a revolution against the men, which led to all the men's slaughter. Then, Superman being upset and shocked Wonder Woman did nothing to stop the murders.

Superman: I'm going to have to report this to the undersecretary. What you've done is in strict violation of our protocol.
    Wonder Woman: Of course, Kal. The rules are the rules. We can't get involved, unless it's some dirty act of sabotage that our government sanctions. Take a good look around. There are no rules here. Just suffering and madness. I want you to go back and tell your undersecretary that. There's the door, Superman.

I've also liked how Martian Manhunter has been introduced and used. Arriving in issue two, first page where Professor Erdel dies was strong. But, what I really liked was how he used the television to learn what Earth culture was all about. Needless to say when he went into the world as John Jones, he was, to quote his partner "corny as a comic book". But, number three was better. After busting out laughing at "Invaders From Mars" (AKA: War of the Worlds), he and Batman probably had the best part in the book. How Batman figured it out, I still don't know. I know he's Batman and all, but how do you put that together?

Looking forward to issue four in May, needless to say.

8. Damien

Damien Watching

Hooray! Found that the Colessium has a store about 20 min. closer to me than the other one. So yeah, I got issue 3, had to order 2 and go back for it, but I've finally read them.
    I'm not quite sure where it's going. I don't get the great feeling I got reading the preview in Dec.'s Wizard Mag. Still, I find it to be pretty darn awesome. Not really into the "Superman = Government Tool" that alot of story arcs seem to take, but hey.
    Can't wait for issue 4. And 5. And heck, 6 too.

9. Marc

Marc Friend from another star?

DC: THE NEW FRONTIER #3 (of 6)

[​IMG]

Written by Darwyn Cooke
    Art and cover by Cooke

The sprawling 6-part miniseries chronicling the DC Universe’s Silver Age continues! Revisit the dawn of the Silver Age as the Challengers of the Unknown are assembled in response to a mysterious evil. Meanwhile, Hal Jordan travels one step closer to Destiny. Plus: Batman, Martian Manhunter, and the Suicide Squad!

Comments?

10. The_NewCatwoman

I managed to get my hands on this super-sold out issue by the kind graces of my local Comic Book shop dude holding over one for me. Too good! While I absolutely loved the last issue, this one was definitely worth the money. I loved the technical aspect of everything, and Batman and MM's little confrontation of sorts was great. The art was nothing short of spectacular in my opinion, phenomenal in its simplicity. Worth every penny as usual. Darwyn is the man!

****1/2

11. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

I like the way Darwin draws Bat-Man.
    The 1939 look but set in the 50's.

Nice to see the Challs in action. Even it was only in a newsreel.

Right now the Superman and WW plots are holding no interest for me.
    Just find it boring.

Also HATE the smoking that some of the characters are doing. Carol Ferris, King Faraday, and Red Ryan. DOn't like it and its unhealthly.

Overall the first 3 issues gets a 'B+' from me.

12. The_NewCatwoman

To be fair, almost everyone smoked in the fifties, this was back when the government was swearing left and right that smoking was okay. I mean, women even smoked and drank while they were pregnant! It's a little jarring, but given the times I find it more authentic that way.

Tiny little edit, she said "Space man." not "Superman" at the end.

tNC

13. Jade_GL

Jade_GL An Aperture Science Original

This series is one of my favorites coming out right now, over miniseries and monthly titles.

About the smoking. Sure, we all know it's unhealthy NOW, but if you watch any old movie, people are smoking, and smoking alot. It was just the times. Women did it, men did it, old and young. Some examples are many scenes in Citizen Kane where not one, but whole groups of people smoke, and it's just like drinking a glass of water or any other activity. Just watch a movie made in the 30s, 40s or 50s and you'll see more smoking than you can shake a stick at.

The smoking in this mini just adds that layer of authenicity to the work. If no one smoked and people were being all critical of it, then that would make the comic be completely unrealistic. We may not be happy that so many people smoke, but this comic takes place during a time when it was seen as something that was not a danger to health and was socially acceptable.

Just as I would not want people editing old movies or TV shows to remove the smoking I would not want anything made in this era glossing over a social norm of that era.

14. DR.MID-NITE

DR.MID-NITE The Original

What is the story behind "New Frontier"? Can anyone give me an explanation as to what "New Frontiers" is about?

Thanks!

15. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Howdy,

Darwyn Cooke can. Short version: the rise of the Silver Age Justice League presented in a 1950's period piece. Decidedly not in continuity.

-- Ed/Ace

16. Emerald Archer

Emerald Archer From the Inner Sanctum

Elsewise

I think it's safe to say that this is an Elseworlds title.

That said, it is interesting just how much play DC is giving to the Silver Age lately. Is their a message here?

EA

17. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

I think there is. Everything old is new again and such. I wouldn't be surprised if this Identity Crisis thing puts everything back the way it was in 1984. And then in another 20 years there'll be a new event that makes things post-Crisis again.

Say what you will about Marvel, but at least they're sticking to the continuity/history and not totally rewriting it every few years or so. DC really just needs to leave it go. Yeah, some people miss the old days. But you decided to change it, so just deal with it. Going back is just going to upset even more people.

....I'm still bitter about the end of the first Superman/Batman story arc, and the current one, and basically anything Jeph Loeb has done in the past few years....

18. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Howdy,

Sure they are. They're just being quieter about it. "Heroes Reborn" was a Crisis-level reboot -- it just didn't LOOK like one. There have been lots of other "soft" reboots along the way, and lots of stories where one creator does not rely at all on what happened before (Bruce Jones' "Hulk" is the easiest example, and Mark Waid's "Fantastic Four" is, too).

The only thing that Marvel continuity has over DC is that didn't do as much with the "multiple Earths" concept. The major exception is the X-books, which are a continuity nightmare that's probably only rivaled by the pre-Geoff-Johns Hawkman.

New Frontier is another really insular book, which is beautifully drawn and wonderfully well written, but almost totally incomprehensible to anybody who's not a serious DC comic geek.

-- Ed/Ace

19. Clayface

Clayface Molecularly Malleable Mod

Darwyn Cooke’s sprawling history of the DCU continues, now shipping bimonthly!

DC: THE NEW FRONTIER #4 (of 6)

[​IMG]

Written by: Darwyn Cooke
    Art and cover by: Cooke

It’s a mystery in space as Superman, the Suicide Squad, and the Challengers of the Unknown encounter a frightening extraterrestrial lifeform. Could this hideous creature have anything to do with the sense of impending doom all the heroes are experiencing? Plus, Hal Jordan is grounded!

20. Nick K.

Nick K. Active Member

I haven't read the new issue but I am still behind. But will read #3 & this one by the end of the week to give my feedback.