1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"DC: The New Frontier" Mini-Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by Marc, Jan 21, 2004.

?

Rate and Comment on This Comic Series!

1. *****

87.5%
  2. ****1/2

12.5%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Marc

Marc Friend from another star?

Before they put on costumes, they were already heroes…

DC: THE NEW FRONTIER #1

[​IMG]

Written by: Darwyn Cooke
    Art and Cover by: Darwyn Cooke

World War II is over. The Cold War has begun. The Age of the Superhero is in decline. But where are the heroes of tomorrow? The New Frontier recounts the dawning of the DCU's Silver Age from the perspective of those brave individuals who made it happen. Encounter "keepers of the flame" including Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman, who survived the anti-hero sentiment of the Cold War, as well as eager newcomers like test pilot Hal Jordan and scientist Barry Allen, poised to become the next generation of crimefighters. Cooke, a master storyteller, writes and illustrates this landmark tale, a must-have for fans of the DCU and all lovers of powerful tales of heroism!

Cooke, a master storyteller, writes and illustrates this landmark tale, a must-have not only for fans of the DC Universe, but for all lovers of powerful tales of heroism!

Comments?

2. Jor-El

Jor-El Krypton is doomed.

When I first flipped through the book, I was disappointed that none of the costumed heroes really appeared in #1, (aside from the brief cameos of Hourman, the JSA, and Superman and "Bat-Man,) but after I read all through it, I pose the following question: Who cares? Best comic book I've read in months. I cannot wait for #2. This book was worth every last penny of the $6.95 it cost. A++

3. Damien

Damien Watching

Can't wait for Book 2, although I was disappointed to find that only part of the preview in Wizard's Dec. issue (the segment on kid Hal Jordan) appeared in the comic. Still, an epic in the making.

4. Clayface

Clayface Molecularly Malleable Mod

After his work on Batman: Ego I think this title will be a huge hit for DC!

5. Fernus

Fernus Abraham Sapien

Has anyone read the new DC New Frontier comics? I heard issue number one is already out, and number two is on its way soon. What are these about, exactly?

6. randomguy

randomguy Came, liked Ike, and left.

It's a retelling of DC's Silver Age, giving us a new perspective on the emergence of the new Green Lantern, Flash, Atom, Hawkman, and the introduction of the Martian Manhunter. It's being told in a very interesting context- it takes place concurrently to when these heroes first debuted in print (so it's set primarily in the late 50's). There's a heavy emphasis on the historical- McCarthyism, WWII, Eisenhower (my man), and the Korean War all play a role. It's a neat idea, thankfully done very well.

Slight spoilers ahead... the first issue focuses primarily on the last mission of the Losers, and then later on Hal Jordan's experiences in the Korean War, specifically, the first time he was forced to kill a man. Few superheroes actually appear in this issue (one of its foremost charms), but there are DC references a-plenty. The Red Scare has targeted the heroes, with bad results. The Hourman is revealed to be deceased. The JSA is the subject of an article (written by Iris West, natch) which reveals their dissapearance to be the result of McCarthy. Batman, we are told, has managed to evade the authorities. Only two heroes are still operating (both have pledged their loyalty to the state): Wonder Woman and Superman. Am I the only one who's a little annoyed that Superman is always the one that sells out in these sorts of things? Oh, and Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen play supporting roles (Lois, thankfully, is written exactly as she was in the 50's, or close to it).

The art's fantastic. It has a simple, Bruce Timm-ish quality, but it's very atmospheric, and superb at conveying emotion. The panel layouts are great... after so many cluttered pages, it's nice to see a layout that has such a simple, open, airy kind of feel. Several pages in the middle are actually a mock magazine article, which is a neat trick.

You could wait for the hardcover, I suppose (I'm sure there will be one), but I find myself enjoying this series so much that I just can't do that.

7. Jor-El

Jor-El Krypton is doomed.

I have to be nitpicky here.

The New Frontier is not a "retelling." It's simply a telling. It's almost Elseworldish, actually. Unless I am mistaken, this series being set when the heroes actually appeared historically will not affect when the heroes debuted in the mainstream DCU universe; i.e., Hal Jordan will not become Green Lantern in 1960 when we open the pages of Green Lantern and hear a Hal Jordan reference.

I guess what you could say with certainty is that this is a retelling of the pre-Crisis DCU. That works out perfectly, with the way that Superman and Batman were around in the late 1930's and everything.

But this is not a retelling of the current post-Crisis DCU the way that some of the "Times Past" issues of Starman and Sandman Mystery Theatre were retellings of the past of the current post-Crisis DCU.

But boy oh boy, that doesn't make this any less great. I am naming #1 the best comic I have read this year so far, and I don't see anything beating it. Except maybe #2. :)

8. Eddie G.

Eddie G. Former Wolf/Writer.

Yeah but I think Frank Miller explained it very well in DKR. Superman likes helping people and as he became a pawn in DKR to the U.S. it was only because he felt it was the only way he could continue to help humanity.

9. randomguy

That's what I meant, actually. Sorry.

After all, that is the real DCU.

*ducks*

10. The_NewCatwoman

The_NewCatwoman Oh you've got to be kidding me

I bought the first issue the week before last and loved it. Darwyn Cooke never ceases to amaze me. It was a bit longer than I expected, and the price was a little high all things considering, but it was well worth it. The art, story and general feel of it was everything I've come to expect from Cooke. I'm so glad that I have this in my collection.

tNC

11. kid_flash

kid_flash Speedy Teen

Cooke's really outdoing himself here, and considering BATMAN: EGO and SELINA'S BIG SCORE, that's saying something. The first issue was almost nothing like what I expected, but in a good way. A very, very good way. Can't wait for the rest of this series...then the hardcover....then...the world.

12. Damien

Damien Watching

Totally digging the first issue. But I'm glad someone made a new thread for this. The closest comic book store is about an hour's drive through turnpikes and/or bumper-to-bumper traffic, and none of the bookstores around me carry it. I was going to try and order it, and if I can't just make the drive. But when is Book 2 supposed to come out? The first one says March, so is it every two months? I kinda have to save gas, so I don't want to waste a trip out there.

13. Marc

Marc Friend from another star?

DC: THE NEW FRONTIER #2 (of 6)

[​IMG]

Written by Darwyn Cooke
    Art and cover by Cooke

The sprawling miniseries chronicling the dawn of the DC Universe’s Silver Age continues! It’s the birth of a whole new breed of super-hero as the careers of the Flash, the Challengers of the Unknown, Black Canary, Martian Manhunter, and the future Green Lantern begin their dazzling ascent. Meanwhile, Batman comes face-to-face with a mysterious new enemy who will tie them together!

Comments?

14. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

SPOILER
    Every Time I see "The Losers" in action they die.
    Crisis, Losers Special, and now New Frontier.
    But I really like this send off. It was a honorable death for Captain Storm, Johnny Cloud, Sarge, Gunner, and Pooch. Dinosaur Island back in play. Wish we would have saw more variety in the Dinos.

The one thing I didn't like was the death of Hourman. Would have better to pick a lesser hero like the Original Robotman or Airwave.

Story=A. Art=B

15. randomguy

I've decided to wait for the (inevitable) hardcover on this one. I really like this series, but part of me really wants to read it in a big chunk. Besides, at $6.95 an issue, I'll probably save money this way.

16. Damien

Damien Watching

Seriously guys, when is Book 2 being released? How are these issues spaced out? Like I said, I can't just keep taking an hour's drive just to check.

17. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Howdy,

According to the New Comic Book Release List, New Frontier #2 came out last week. According to DC Comics, #3 is due out on March 17, and the comic is going bi-monthly after that, with #4 being solicited for release on May 26.

Your mileage, literally and figuratively, may vary. Is there a reason why you can't just call your comic book store to ask?

-- Ed/Ace

18. Venom

Venom Member

Book #2 is already out, cause I saw it last time I was at the comic store. The Flash's symbol was calling to me, but I'm going to wait for a hardcover collection.

19. Nick K.

Nick K. Active Member

I got:

UFF # 4
    Cap & Wolverine #3 & #4
    New Frontier #2

20. Damien

Damien Watching

Because just asking on here is free. The store is long distance.

P.S. Thanks for the site.