1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Super Heroes vs. Eagle Talon comedy anime

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Otaku-sempai, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #1 Otaku-sempai, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  2. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Well... this is... interesting

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Actually, it might be that you accidentally pasted the link twice in a row.

Anyway, this sounds like a crazy idea with plenty of inside jokes. I wonder if this will be sneaked in as a featurette lead-in to "Justice League".....

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well...this certainly isn't what I expected whenever I wondered what a DC anime would be like :sweat:.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. WebMasterSage

WebMasterSage Obey the Pecking Order.

Fun fact: This is the same Studio that worked on the Q Transformers mystery of Convoy series.

But dont expect it to get dubbed though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Otaku-sempai

Thanks! That seems to have been the case.

That seems doubtful, especially since this seems to be a feature-length anime. However, I have not seen any confirmation of a running time.

Actually, Batman: Gotham Knight would give you a better idea as that actually was a DC Universe anthology anime film.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I've never even heard of Eagle Talon, but apparently it's been running for years. :O

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. WebMasterSage

In the form of Comedy? Yes. Though if DC wanna get to the eyes of the Japanese, I like to see they work on a Anime series that pretty much Showcases the DC Universe like the Pokemon Generation Shorts did last year. Only this time it's a Full Fledged series which episodes are half hour long. Course for Comedy still they can do however. Omakes.

9. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Anime News Network has some more details about this, including a longer synopsis:

I've never heard of Eagle Talon either until now. I'm not really sure what to think about all this. It could be pretty funny I guess but we'll see how it turns out.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bestmand902

Bestmand902 Active Member

*Groan*, this is NOT what I had in mind with "DC" and "Anime" in the same sentence.

#10 Bestmand902, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  11. WebMasterSage

It's Comedy. The Studio has a nack of doing this.

Though I wouldn't mind it getting abriged.

12. Bestmand902

Bestmand902 Active Member

I know it's a comedy, I apologize for being unfair to it.

13. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

The shots where Batman and Superman are animated in detail seem to be key animated by Korean animator Sunghoo Park. Park lives and works in Japan and has quickly become one of the Japanese animation industries most prominent foreign animators. Pokemon Generations Episode #14, which was storyboarded, directed and had its animation supervised by Park can be viewed on YouTube officially. It's a gorgeous work.

If this turns out to be a real project and Park remains involved...he'll definitely turn in the best animation for a DC animated project ever.

EDIT: The narration for this commercial is misinformation, though. Budget doesn't decide quality, the staff involved does.

14. Otaku-sempai

15. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

...this movie is going to spread so much misinformation about the Japanese animation industry's production process, it's not even funny. I wish it wasn't using the gag of "bad animation is funny", too. The focus should be on "good animation is funny".

16. TFormersMarvel

TFormersMarvel Active Member

Calm down with the pedestal worship; your point is exaggerating the impact of a simple crossover movie between DC Comics and a gag-based prized property from Toyko-based animation studio that clearly knows what they're good at. Using "bad animation as a joke" is nothing new for animation, specifically Japanese animation. If done well, it can add another flavor of hilarious humor.

Which is the whole point: this is suppose to taken as a [subjective] comedy, not a godsend from the medium of specfic culture.

#16 TFormersMarvel, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
  17. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

...Is it bad I'm more excited for this than the Justice League movie?

18. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Naw, I won't. People are extraordinarily gullible and it's terrible seeing a trailer outright lie with the context of reality about how quality works, especially as if it's some sort of actually funny joke based in fact. We don't need more misinformation running around. This is the sort of nonsense Fox's animated series' audiences allow it to get away with and it's awful to see here.

What's worse, it implies that the quality comes from 'budget' and not the skill of the staff involved, like Sunghoo Park. That's the most devastating lie to propagate of all.

19. TFormersMarvel

TFormersMarvel Active Member

I understand your point, but considering that this gag film will most likely not see a US release (or really, any international release outside of Japan), I'm pretty sure the "budget joke" was supposed to be taken as a self-deprecating joke from the get-go to the audience (my goodness, our guest animators are ACTUALLY animating with our increased budget!). It would be the equivalent of believing a non-educational sci-fi show's spouts of simplified or nonsensical technobabble: they just trying to tell stories/jokes, not becoming PBS's NOVA.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the general people of Japan seem to have a better understanding and appreciation of the basic forms of animation and the industry than, say, some parts of Western Animation (like the US) where the animation age ghetto still exists. They'll catch on quickly, compared to Chris Rock spouting out a similar joke about voice acting during the Oscars, with a group of Oscar voters having this mindset. Even then, that doesn't reflect ever Western Animation viewer in the audience, just the ignorant. I could say that Family Guy or Teen Titans Go! reflects all of Western Animation, but that's obviously not true.

Besides, there's no harm in informing those who want to genuinely be corrected or learn more. If they don't, that's on them for taking a parody too literal (which, can be argued, as being the best element of a parody). In my honest opinion, I highly doubt that this film is actively trying to create some poor man's negative propaganda about the Japanese industry.

20. Otaku-sempai

May 28th:
    Probably. But I, at least, forgive you. As pointed out elsewhere, there's a fair chance that this might never see a release outside of Japan.

July 5th:
    Anime News Network reports: DC Super Heroes vs. Eagle Talon Comedy Anime Film Reveals Cast

[​IMG]

Mod Note: Double Post merged,

#20 Otaku-sempai, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2017