1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"DC Super Hero Girls" News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Yojimbo, Apr 7, 2017.

1. juan1193

juan1193 Member

Probably because this is a DC show highlighting the females of the DCU and with that premise in mind it'd be stupid to not include Diana. As for Jessica, well she not only brings diversity to the table but she is probably the 2nd or 3rd most prominent GL in current DC lore.

Also Diana and Jessica > Donna and Arisia.

2. Eldorado

Eldorado Active Member

You know, I was hoping that with this announcement we'd get pictures on what the characters look like.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's good to see Lauren Faust work on this. It'll be guaranteed to be good. But will it become a success like MLP? Hopefully, but I'm doubtful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. WebMasterSage

WebMasterSage Obey the Pecking Order.

So this is gonna be DC's answer to FIM. If it replaces TTGo the i'm cool with it.

5. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

Wait a second, their is a new show on Cartoon Network for the girl demographic on the so called boys network?

That is huge, I guess the warner acquisition has made big changes.

#45 bigdaddy313, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
  6. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

MLP FiM was lightning in a bottle for a wide variety of reasons, it's biggest being absolutely no-one having faith or hype pre-hand. MLP was one of those franchises that was the butt of the joke on all sides, and in retrospect unfairly. The simple fact it was good exploded expectations and generated hype practically unheard of for the franchise. DC Super Hero Girls doesn't have any of that against or for it, DC is a very respected brand, a few recent examples notwithstanding. Even if it does become a hit and CN's new golden child (which I really hope for), it won't be anywhere near the hit MLP has become because not much actually can at this point.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think DC Super Hero Girls really needs to match My Little Pony when it's already brought in some major revenue for WB/DC by this point ;).

I just hope this cartoon reboot doesn't mean we're doing away with the current incarnation of DC Super Hero Girls and all the work Shea Fontana has put into the franchise :(.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

That announcement made a vein pop up on my forehead. Eh... so now, four different continuities for DCSHG now - everything Fontana does, Yee's novels, the LEGO material, and now this show.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

And they say DC doesn't offer variety :rolleyes2:.

I do hope this doesn't effect anything Fontana is doing. At least Yee and the Lego material is pretty much based on what she's done, but this seems like it might be a completely different thing altogether...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, agreed. I hope not either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

And this new series will diverge from the webseries too.

I've followed (not too closely, mind you), other Mattel shows about gimmicky high schools and teens that go to them (Monster High, Ever After High), and this is par the course.

Another factor concerning how well this show does is how well CN treats it. They might give it the same treatment as Justice League Action and go almost completely unnoticed for the most part.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SuperBumbleB

SuperBumbleB New Member

Someone on Twitter asked if it was a continuation of the web series or if it's a complete reboot.

Lauren Faust repeated by saying it's a "complete reboot"

13. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

The series is only two years old and already it's getting a reboot?!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

^^^More like multiversal expansion to be politically correct. :p

Shea Fontana confirmed she's still working on her DCSHG material. She knows right now that the shorts/movies/graphic novels she's working on are coming out through 2018.

That's a valid concern. Ever since Justice League. I'd be happy with it not being on Saturday morning. I'd be okay, if they make a block out of the two. Perhaps this could signal Teen Titans Go! could end late this year, early next.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. TheGreatOne2

TheGreatOne2 Active Member

CN/WB should bring back DC Nation with TTG, Justice League Action, Young Justice Season 3 and DC super hero girls

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm, it would kinda be neat to see the Fontana and Faust series cross over. Maybe some mishap with the Boom Tube room in SHH.

Not to go on a tangent, but Eh... I'd like Kids WB! to be resurrected and DC Nation brought back on that channel. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm really happy to know that Fontana is still working on DC Super Hero Girls and there's still plenty we can expect from the main series in 2018 :D.

As far as CN...well, I hope it gets better promotion and timeslot then JLA was given, but when it comes to CN's handling of their cartoons, especially DC-related, my expectations are fairly low :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #57 Frontier, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
  18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm impressed you still have expectations. :p

• Like Like x 1
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I am curious to see how similar or different this new cartoon is from Fontana's DCSHG.

As far as the cast, all the main girls except Ivy are covered, though I'd be surprised if Ivy isn't in it in some form. The characters are also all still operating out of Metropolis apparently.

It sounds like the characters still go to school, but from the description it seems like they might go to a normal school, requiring secret identities, rather then Super Hero High.

And they mention Harley as a "teen-fiend" which sounds a little more villainous then normal DCSHG Harley, so I am wondering if that might mean the villainous girls who are good in Fontana's work, like Harley, Ivy, Catwoman, Frost, and such, might conversely be back to being bad girls of a sort here...

I'm actually kind of curious if Fontana has her own plans for Zatanna and Jessica Cruz. Maybe she and Lauren can compare notes at some point :anime:?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

On Twitter, I recall Fontana was coy about Zatanna appearing. She has confirmed a lot of new characters in season 3 plus we've yet to see Raven.

• Agree Agree x 1