1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"DC Super Hero Girls" News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoryWilliams, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

DC is launching a line of figures aimed at young girls. It's mentioned that TV specials will also be airing in 2016.

[​IMG]

Mod Note: Image resized to fit screen. Full press release found in Post #3.

Dates to Remember

October 1, 2015: First webisode aired, start of season one
    February 25, 2016: 13th webisode aired, end of season one
    February 28, 2016: Mattel Action Dolls, Action Figures, Dress-up Kits, Batgirl Utility Belt, Wonder Woman Shield, and Slingshot Flying Batgirl and Supergirl at Target
    March 1, 2016: Random House Novel #1 "Wonder Woman at Super Hero High"
    March 11, 2016: DC Comics' smartphone and tablet app. Includes videos, games, and character bios
    March 19, 2016 at 10 am on Boomerang: TV Special #1
    March 25, 2016 at 6 pm on Boomerang: TV Special #1 encore
    March 28, 2016 at 8 pm on Boomerang: TV Special #1 encore
    April 21, 2016: 14th webisode aired, start of season two
    May 7, 2016: Issue #1 FCBD 2016 Special Edition
    May 30, 2016 at 8 am on Cartoon Network: TV Special #1 encore
    June 17-26, 2016: Preorder Mattel Katana Action Doll at MattyCollector.com
    June 29, 2016: Graphic Novel #1 "Finals Crisis" at Local Comic Book Shops
    July 2016: New action dolls, including Supergirl
    July 5, 2016: Random House Novel #2 "Supergirl at Super Hero High"
    July 5, 2016: Graphic Novel #1 "Finals Crisis" wide release
    July 14, 2016: Global launch of action figures, dolls, costumes and more
    July 18, 2016: Loot Crate Fan Girls
    July 20-24, 2016: Mattel Katana Action Doll for sale at SDCC
    August 15-25, 2016: Mattel Katana Action Doll for sale on MattyCollector.com
    August 9, 2016: Direct to Video Movie #1: "Hero of the Year" Digital Release
    August 23, 2016: Direct to Video Movie #1: "Hero of the Year"
    September 2, 2016: Training Action figures
    September 7, 2016: Random House "Super Hero High Yearbook!"
    September 20, 2016: McDonalds Happy Meal toys start
    October 6, 2016: Digital Comic #1: Past Times at Super Hero High Issue #1 releases
    October 8, 2016: Invisible Jet toy
    Mid-October 2016: McDonalds Happy Meal toys ends
    October 19, 2016: Past Times at Super Hero High Issue #2
    October 20, 2016: Batgirl and her Jet
    October 20, 2016: Wonder Woman and her Motorcycle
    October 22, 2016: Hero of Year airs on CN 2:45-4:30 pm
    October 25, 2016: Mission Gear Batgirl and Supergirl figures
    October 26, 2016: Graphic Novel #2 "Hits and Myths"
    October 27, 2016: Action Training Pack: Batgirl, Wonder Woman, Bumblebee, Supergirl
    October 29, 2016: Issue #1 HCF 2016 Special Edition
    October 29, 2016: Katana action figure
    November 2, 2016: Graphic Novel #2 "Hits and Myths"
    November 2, 2016: Past Times at Super Hero High Issue #3
    November 16, 2016: Past Times at Super Hero High Issue #4
    Fall 2016: Starfire action doll
    Fall 2016: Wonder Woman plush
    Fall 2016: Wonder Woman Power Action Mattel figure
    Fall 2016: Hot Wheels cars
    Fall 2016: Wonder Woman Vinyl figure
    November 27, 2016: LEGO 41230 Batgirl Batjet ($24.99), 41231 Harley Quinn to the Rescue ($29.99), 41232 Super Hero High School ($79.99)
    November 30, 2016: Past Times at Super Hero High Issue #5
    December 14, 2016: Past Times at Super Hero High Issue #6
    December 28, 2016: Past Times at Super Hero High Issue #7

January 3, 2017: Random House Novel #3 "Batgirl at Super Hero High"
    January 2017: LEGO 41233 Lashina Tank ($14.99), 41234 Bumblebee Helicopter ($14.99), 41235 Wonder Woman Dorm Room ($19.99)
    January 2017: LEGO global launch
    January 18, 2017: Past Times at Super Hero High Issue #8
    January 26, 2017: Season Three begins
    February 1, 2017: Past Times at Super Hero High Issue #9
    February 15, 2017: Past Times at Super Hero High Issue #10
    March 1, 2017: Past Times at Super Hero High Issue #11
    March 15, 2017: Past Times at Super Hero High Issue #12
    March 31, 2017: Funko Rock Candy Wonder Woman, Harley, Bumblebee, Poison Ivy
    April 12, 2017: Out of the Bottle Issue #1
    April 15, 2017: Katana doll general release
    May 6, 2017: FCBD 2017 Special Edition
    June 3, 2017: Wonder Woman Day Special Edition Free Comic
    June 13, 2017: Direct to Video Movie #2: "Intergalactic Games" Digital Release
    June 21, 2017: Graphic Novel #3 Summer Olympus
    June 27, 2017: Direct to Video Movie #2: "Intergalactic Games" DVD Release
    July 4, 2017: Random House Novel #4 "Katana at Super Hero High"
    August 2017: LEGO
    September 13, 2017*: Past Times at Super Hero High TPB
    September 26, 2017: Past Times at Super Hero High TPB (Amazon)
    December 12, 2017: Out of the Bottle TPB
    TBA: LEGO TV Special
    TBA: LEGO 6 Three Minute Shorts

* indicates release date not officially confirmed yet

Threads
    *Webisode Talkback
    *Novel Talkback
    *TV Special Talkback
    *Comic Talkback
    *Graphic Novel Talkback
    *Hero of the Year Talkback
    *Yearbook Talkback

#1 RoryWilliams, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2017
  2. TheGreatOne2

TheGreatOne2 Active Member

There might be a chance of a full series of Super Best Friends Forever with this

3. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The official press release for the "DC Super Hero Girls" initiative can be found at The World's Finest. Click here or on the image below to read all the details.

[​IMG]

4. Eldorado

Eldorado Active Member

You know at first I thought this meant there would NEVER be a series because of this but now I know that it could show Warner Brothers and DC that girls can be fans of superheroes too which could increase the chance of a full-length series.

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

If this were to become a series, under current circumstances said show would likely be an online exclusive. I don't see Cartoon Network being interested in a DC cartoon unless it was going to be Teen Titans GO! goofy, not to mention that DC and CN are kind of on the outs right now after what happened with DC Nation and CN may not be all that keen on acquiring a girl-centric show. No way in Helsinki is Disney going to air a DC show, and I just don't see Discovery Family having any interest; the only animated shows they have are the leftovers from Hasbro's reign, and they don't seem to be in a hurry to pick up any more cartoons.

The only one of the Big 3 kids' networks I could see showing any interest in airing this would be Nickelodeon, since the toys are made by Mattel and Nick has aired some specials based on Mattel properties before such as Monster High and some Barbie specials. Mattel has been putting adaptations of a lot of their products on the web (MH, Ever After High, Barbie, Polly Pocket, etc.), so overall, I'd say the internet would be the most likely outlet for this should Mattel and DC decide to turn this into a series.

6. Eldorado

Eldorado Active Member

I was actually talking about Super Best Friends Forever becoming a show but yeah I see your point. However I don't know if Nickelodeon is allowed to air Warner Brothers shows anymore.

7. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Something about the designs look too "Disney-Ish" I don't know maybe it's the shadowing... Anyway I'm kind'a into this concept, just so long as it can also appeal to boys to.

8. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

That would be a bit of a miracle

It really seems they are going the Monster High route here

9. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

There's not going to be a Super Best Friends Forever show. That ship has sailed. If anything, this project only decreases the chances of that happening. Why would DC need or want to resurrect some shorts from like 2 years ago when they now have this new property initiative with multiple platforms to mack on? That would be like if Warner Brothers Animation launched a new property called HB Racers or something like that, and they had all the bells and whistles planned for it: toys, T-shirts, video games, DTVs, the whole 9 yards, and somebody said, "Hey, maybe now that they're doing this we'll finally get that Wacky Races Forever series that was a failed pilot that CN didn't want back in 2004!".

#9 Silverstar, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2015
  10. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

This is a Warner Brothers property sure, but WB is teaming up with Mattel for this (no doubt WB is planning to launch a line of dolls) and Nickelodeon airs animated specials from other Mattel properties such as Monster High, so I can see DC Super Girls airing on Nick before the boy-skewing Cartoon Network. The main (if not only) reason why The Hub got to air the reruns of Batman Beyond and The Super Hero Squad Show was because the toy lines for both shows were manufactured by Hasbro.

11. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

There's certainly an opening for SBFF to continue in spirit, if not in name. It's a savvy and overdue expansion from DC and clearly a very broad and long-term effort to deliver stuff unambiguously for girls. On the animation front I expect we'll at least see more DTVs in the vein of Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts. That film was billed as a work aimed directly at younger audiences, and it has its own associated toyline and merchandise. When I was reading about DC Super Hero Girls one of the first things I thought was that this and that had more than a bit in common.

12. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

I am curious about what direction DC, Warner Brothers, and Mattel are going to go with this. Is it going to be action figures or barbie dolls? Is it going to be action cartoons or cartoons that are a little more girly?

13. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Replace Katana with someone who isn't a painful cultural stereotype and we're in business.

Also, keep it away from CN, because if the toy line isn't a resounding success it will die.

14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, this is quite interesting. It's great that DC is using their female heroes to appeal more to the female demographic and particularly little girls, though I hope there are parts of the initiative that can appeal to boys as well, and I'm looking forward to whatever animated might come out of this :).

I think the designs for the girls are pretty good for the most part, though I think Batgirl could use a cape, particularly Wonder Woman and Supergirl. It's also cool that they're pushing Bumblebee and Katana in this as well :cool:.

Hopefully other DC heroines get to be a part of this, like Black Canary, Zatanna, Hawkgirl, and Vixen ;).

Though surprised to see Harley and Ivy are a part of this, since they're traditionally villains. I guess even being related to Batman as a Supervillain makes you more likely to get into something DC related :sweat:.

15. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

The problem is DC has very few East Asian heroines of any notoriety. It's basically Katana, Doctor Light and Cassandra Cain (who obviously like Stephanie Brown isn't gonna be used when Barbara Gordon is around). And then Katana trumps pretty much all of them by virtue of having been in a few Batman cartoons and now Arrow.

16. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Well, we did have Dr. Light in Justice League Unlimited, for whatever that's worth.

I just hope we don't get into the vicious cycle of, "Well, we used Katana last time, so people know who she is, so let's use her instead of Dr. Light," lather, rinse, repeat.

Yeah, my rational dislike for the character is almost irrationally intense. :)

17. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

The DC heroines have to have villains to stop. Harley and Ivy are the two most recognizable villainesses. I would expect several others to make it into the show eventually.

18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

At least Stephanie has her Spoiler identity to fall back on...when creators would actually want to use her in something that is :sweat:.

At least Artemis on YJ was half-Asian for prominent representation on that front, though it would be nice to see Dr. Light in animation again. Especially because the male Supervillain version is probably more well-known at this point :sad:.

19. Eldorado

Eldorado Active Member

From the description this new franchise will focus on the characters individually. If an SBFF series came to pass because of this then we'd be able to see a team aspect (like a Justice League cartoon for girls).

20. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

The thing that bugs me about this project is that Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy are going to be portrayed as heroic characters. They are definitely not heroes. Harley especially is a terrible role model in all shapes and forms. They are evil and sociopathic and Harley throws in sadistic, psychopathic tendencies on top of that.

Other than that I have no problem with this project other than it will make Marvel put out a half-assed imitation of it a year from now. This is something that definitely injects variety and brings in an audience that's mostly been ignored for the last decade or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.