1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"DC Super Hero Girls: Hero of the Year" Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Yojimbo, Aug 9, 2016.

?

Rate this movie

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Discuss the first direct to video movie of the DC Super Hero Girls initiative .

[​IMG]

Digital Release
    August 9, 2016
    Physical Release: August 23, 2016 on DVD

Synopsis: At Super Hero High, iconic Super Heroes like Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl, Harley Quinn, Bumblebee, Poison Ivy, and Katana navigate all the twists and turns of high school in their formative years. United by friendship, the DC Super Hero Girls empower kids to shine with confidence and courage, especially while they combat those overwhelming, exciting, and awesomely awkward moments of growing up (sometimes super powers can be super stressful!).

Aspiring Super Heroes can check out our exclusive web series for the full scoop on what life is like inside the walls of Super Hero High School. In the spring of 2016, the DC Super Hero Girls will come to life with a line of action dolls, figures and accessories, books, play sets and so much more. If that doesn’t have you bursting at the seams of your cape, remember that the world of Metropolis is at your fingertips here on the website - play, explore, read and....Get Your Cape On! It’s time to meet the DC Super Hero Girls!

Movie #1 "Hero of the Year"
    It's time for the annual Hero of the Year ceremony and the students of Super Hero High compete for the top prize. But the festivities take a turn when Dark Opal targets the heroes and steals some of their most valued possessions to form the ultimate weapon! It's up to the students at Super Hero High to spring into action! But can Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl and Bumblebee stop Dark Opal - and his mysterious partner-in-crime - to save the day?

Discuss this Movie!

See Also
    *News Thread
    *Webisode Talkback
    *Novel Talkback
    *TV Special Talkback
    *FCBD Comic Talkback
    *Graphic Novel Talkback

2. Jason M

Jason M New Member

I'm sure this will be a fun movie!
    Hope the second DVD comes out
    Before the year is over!

3. Lonewolf36

Lonewolf36 Active Member

8/13: Great movie i enjoyed the TV special but this one was really good.

8/14: Voice cast.

Mod Note: Double Post Merged.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #3 Lonewolf36, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2016
  4. WebMasterSage

WebMasterSage Obey the Pecking Order.

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 3
  6. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

In less than one year, DC Superhero Girls has managed to improve and evolve quite a bit perfectly mixing together superhero quirkiness with the complex stories of most action cartoons, as evidenced with DC Superhero Girls: Hero Of The Year, their first movie. This movie involves the upcoming Hero Of The Year ceremony, which is dedicated to whoever was the best hero of the year. However, two villains by the names of Eclipso and Dark Opal need Supergirl's Crystal and various other artifacts on campus to complete a special scepter that will give them unlimited power. This movie really manages to subvert the common cliches (not that cliches are bad) you'd find in other movies, with the biggest one being that this film doesn't involve the girls competing against each other for the prize, but rather its about the girls themselves, and how they evolve as characters. Here's what I mean.

1. One of the big plot points of the movie involves Supergirl trying to reunite with her parents when she thinks they might be alive. Considering her background as being one of the last survivors of Krypton and her natural curiosity, she's quite likable.

2. Another subplot of the movie involves Wonder Woman being told by her mother that she'll win the Hero Of The Year award. In this show, she has an inferiority complex, and it's done quite well here since she wants to make a good impression for her mother while said mother merely acts a bit pushy instead of pushing her aggressively, so they're both likable.

3. Despite not being a main character, we get another plot of Hawkgirl trying to shape up Beast Boy so he can be a proper hero. Seeing as how Beast Boy never goes too far in being goofy and he genuinely wants to be seen as a hero, he's also likable along with Hawkgirl due to her well meaning take charge attitude.

4. Our next plot point involves Big Barda being enrolled as a student, and Lady Shiva is suspicious of her. It's actually smart that they chose her to be suspicious instead of the main girls because even though they have enough reason to doubt Barda, they genuinely give her a chance and both she and Shiva are likable since we saw in "Super Hero High" that she has good in her which carries over here and Shiva actually does have concern for the students.

5. Our last major plot point involves Bumblebee being stuck in tiny mode because of the fight with Dark Opal, and her power is continually drained. One thing I like about her is her spunk and determination, and it pays off in the end when she saves Batgirl, Wonder Woman, SuperGirl, and their parents.

As you can see, we get five well executed morals in one movie.

1. Your family is not just composed of your biological relatives, but also people who care for you.

2. You should be always be proud of your child no matter if they have a lot of accomplishments or not.

3. There's a time and place for being composed and a time for being wild. You just have to know when.

4. Just because someone doesn't have a good background doesn't mean they're not good people. You just need to be more open to others.

5. Size is not important when it comes to battle. It's about determination and strategy.

The morals can apply to everyone and kids can at least understand the basic idea behind them. When you take into account the intense action, clever humor, and the world building, you get (in my opinion) one of the best movies of the year.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It looked like TMS did some of the animation during the climactic battle.
    Checked the credits, but they weren't listed. The Answer Studio might've done it instead, I dunno.

Anyway, the movie was pretty nice. I've watched movies Monster High and Ever After High movies, and I gotta say, I do enjoy how, non-surprisingly, it's more action oriented. I also love how it doesn't feel like one big toy commercial like the other franchises.
    In a time when Monster High is getting a lackluster reboot, and EAH's sort of meandering now that the main plot is resolved, DC Superhero Girls is shaping up to be a fun series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    #7 Dudley, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Almost every student appeared (haven't spotted Riddler or Scorch yet) and there's one more in the mix, Gizmo.

Dug the Gemworld cameo. I didn't know Eclipso had ties to Gemworld in the New 52 until after watching this movie and looking it up. Always great to see Amethyst again.

'Booster's Gold Mine' made me chuckle. As did Harley's pajamas and Parasite.

Nice to get a bit of spotlight back on Wonder Woman since Supergirl's had her arc in the TV special and this movie. Her trophy room, lol.

Yeah, I think it was them, too. Out of the studios in the credits, they seem the most likely. Maybe digital eMation. You can definitely see the shift in animation for that fight. I was a little taken aback to see five animation studios were involved. Score was lacking though, imo.

• Like Like x 2
  9. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty great movie, overall. I liked how much more action it had than the stuff we've had so far, but still managed to find a decent balance between action, comedy and even some drama. Neat how they added plots for just about all of the main characters. Some thoughts about the movie:

- Supergirl probably had the biggest role again but I didn't really mind. I was surprised how emotional it got at times with her remembering her family and hoping they're still alive. Her finding her place on Earth with her new family was a nice way to end her story.
    - Wonder Woman had a pretty great outing as well. Her relationship with her mother was an interesting angle and I liked how she was portrayed here. Not to mention, all the action scenes she took part in.
    - Lois Lane was fun. Her interactions with Grodd were probably my favorite scenes with her.
    - Big Barda was pretty cool. Trying to get the others to trust her was pretty difficult following the events of the TV Special but it got a decent conclusion and I'm looking forward to seeing more of her.
    - Bumblebee probably got the most satisfying conclusion in the movie, a pretty surprising but pleasant turn of events. I like how big of a role she's playing in this series.
    - The villains were pretty good, I liked the connection to Gemworld and how the two interacted with each other throughout the movie. Dark Opal was more entertaining though.
    - The fight scenes with all those shadows were cool, I thought they had some neat and pretty creative choreography. It was great seeing all the heroes in action, each with their unique ways of fighting.
    - Lots of neat moments and gags spread throughout, like Crazy Quilt's plans for the festivities, or James Gordon being an over-protective father, to name only a few. Plus a cameo from Amethyst herself, pretty cool stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  10. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The movie airs today on Cartoon Network, starting at 3:45PM ET! Check it out!

[​IMG]
    DC Super Hero Girls - "Hero of the Year"
    Air Date - October 22nd, 2016 (Cartoon Network - Network Premiere)
    Directed by - Cecilia Aranovich Hamilton
    Written by - Shea Fontana

Synopsis - It's time for the annual Hero of the Year ceremony and the students of Super Hero High compete for the top prize. But the festivities take a turn when Dark Opal targets the heroes and steals some of their most valued possessions to form the ultimate weapon! It's up to the students at Super Hero High to spring into action! But can Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl and Bumblebee stop Dark Opal - and his mysterious partner-in-crime - to save the day?

Scheduled re-runs - October 23rd at 1:00PM ET (Cartoon Network)
    October 29th at 9:00AM ET (Boomerang)

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

• Like Like x 1
  11. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Well it was okay. I wish more of the characters didn't get push to the sidelines with no plots for them like Haley, Ivy, Sapphire etc.

And they actually had a Superhero of the Year, I thought they weren't actual going to cancel the award because of the situation. And Bumblebee won, what an upset.

We had the Hawkgirl / Beastboy plot, after watching so much Teen Titans Go, nice to see Beastboy be his old self, though he still calls women "ma ma" which I think is a TTG thing.

Big Barba enrolling, well it was hinted in the special, and great to see a butch seen in a positive light, that is one of the things I hear complain about lately, even in the Steven Universe fandom who I call impatient but if nothing happens I agree with them, they have not one but two butch characters they have as villains, but that is another story for another day. And is she and Shiva BBFs now? I am glad though they just had Shiva be the mistrusting one, and drop our main characters mistrusting Barba after the first act.

As for the villains, they seemed very genetic, not bad but nothing special, Dark Opal using Supergirl's mother like that, that was a nasty thing to do, but that is what you expect out of villains.

Anyway okay movie.

12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Tom Kenny voiced Zor-El, Yvette Nicole Brown voiced Mrs. Beecher, and Khary Payton voiced Mr. Beecher.

13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's the second Superhero dad Tom Kenny's played in this series ;).