1. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

"DC Super Hero Girls" Animated Webisodes Talkback (Spoiler)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Oct 1, 2015.

?

Discuss and Rate this Animated Series!

1. *****

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. **1/2

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

Time to get furious!

• Like Like x 3
    #321 SweetShop209, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2017
  2. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

I am a little surprised that Babs didn't think to call in reinforcements to deal with the escaping Furies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SweetShop209

She saw her father get poisoned right in front of her unexpectedly. You can't exactly think straight when something like that happens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked the teamwork between Batgirl & Hawkgirl, and the more dramatic scene with Gordon, but I think the most interesting part was solving Lashina's riddle. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It was cool seeing Batgirl and Hawkgirl team-up like this, since they're both good detectives and upholders of the law in their own right ;).

Though kind of poor form on the girls' parts that they apparently didn't check to see if their prisoner was really who they thought she was or had any weapons on her...I mean, at least have her in handcuffs or something o_O.

So is Jim like the warden for Belle Reve or does he just handle the criminal processing :ack:?

Lashina is certainly proving that she's a very cunning and sadistic villain, coming up with a different approach to freeing the Furies and actually succeeding compared to her last attempt. Which I guess makes her perfect as leader of the Furies :evil:.

So I guess, with all the Furies busted out of Belle Reve, we have an explanation for why they were all back together in Intergalactic Games...

Wow, Jim getting poisoned was a pretty serious turn of events :eek:.

Y'know, with Hawkgirl being Latina in this cartoon and calling Jim "Commish" I can't help but but be reminded of Renee Montoya :anime:.

Pretty cool seeing the girls successfully solve Lashina's riddle, especially considering the stakes. Though not altogether surprising given who we're talking about :cool:.

I was wondering how Hawkgirl managed to get Batgirl out of the tar pits...looks like they'll both need a good wash for both themselves and their uniforms :sweat:.

I guess crime-fighting is a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it :rolleyes2:.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Ha ha, the return of Brian the security guard.

That's why they're going to SHH. To learn. But yeah, a plot device. :p

I'd guess the latter. I guess they relocated Belle Reve to be very close to Metropolis in this canon.

That's what I think as well. With each new webisode, we get a clearer picture and some set up for Intergalactic. Lena's been left out for awhile though in the webisodes...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. SweetShop209

• Like Like x 2
    #327 SweetShop209, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2017
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Nice to see some continuity going with Jim still in the hospital :).

Seeing Thunder and Lightning really take the spotlight was pretty awesome, from seeing them in action with their powers to coming together as sisters to help save the day. Cool and heartwarming at the same time :D.

Also cool that they mentioned their Dad (AKA Black Lightning) :cool:.

I kinda feel bad for Giganta. I mean, okay, once she found her sunglasses she probably should have just let things be rather then try and hurt Cyborg, but not only did she electrocute herself but they had to physically airlift her to jail using a rope tied to a helicopter (I guess she can't shrink back to normal size?). That's gotta be uncomfortable :eek:.

Though I guess given she didn't seem to feel any guilt about causing the blackout, she kind of deserved it :sweat:.

Cyborg running out of power reminded me of the Batgirl DCSHG novel where he needed Babs to tune him up in practically all his appearances :rolleyes2:.

Hey, a Silver St. Cloud cameo :anime:.

Feels like it's been a while since we got a Hero of the Month episode. Maybe the next recipients will be Thunder and Lightning ;)?

It's not easy when you've got sisters who can bench-press far above their weight :p.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It was cool having some continuity from the last webisode, and seeing more from Thunder and Lightning. Pretty nice teamwork between the two sisters. The bit with Giganta was a little silly but it did get the story to move along. I liked the background gag with her being carried away by a helicopter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't have much to add except this felt like a 'fuller' story so I enjoyed it a little more. Bonus that it featured Thunder and Lightning. Hope to see more of them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SweetShop209

They should've called this Techless Thursday. Also, theme song at 2:20. The short reminds me of that one from September where she's trapped in the jungle, but I like how this one focuses on her technology addictions

• Like Like x 2
    #331 SweetShop209, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2017
  12. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This was pretty good. I was hoping we'd actually get to meet Mr. Clayface this time, but the fight between Mrs. Clayface and Batgirl was nice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Batgirl obviously relies on tech a lot, so it's not surprising that we get episodes where she has to manage without them and overcome her weakness in that area ;).

Nice seeing Wildcat and Red Tornado. Feels like it's been a while since they've had lines :).

So what exactly is the distinction between Arkham and Belle Reve when it comes to holding criminals? Is Arkham for adult Supervillains while Belle Reve is basically a souped-up juvie? Are there other prisons in this universe, like Blackgate or Iron heights with their own distinctions regarding what kind of prisoners they hold o_O?

It's kind of sad when you think about it...Mrs. Clayface was introduced distinctly as not being a criminal like her husband was, but here she turns to crime because she just can't be without him anymore. And then the bitter irony that they're going to be reunited in jail :crying:.

Though it was cool to see a Bat take on a Clayface, particularly in a hair-raising adventure like this one :cool:.

I also kind of wanted to see Mrs. Clayface succeed, if only to finally see Mr. Clayface in the flesh...or clay, rather :rolleyes2:.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

How did Babs manage to kick down that lamppost?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

She found it's structural weakness :rolleyes2:?

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Man, lot of Batgirl focus. That was 5 weeks in a row?

Probably the same - Arkham is for nutcases and Belle Reve is for standard villains. It's both since the full name is 'Penitentiary and Juvenile Detention Center'. Guys like Grundy and King Shark get shipped to the Penitentiary while others like the Female Furies are in the Juvenile Detention Center.

Their lampposts are made of rubber. :p

I think they could've animated that strike of Mrs. Clayface differently and have it both shatter the glass and compromise the integrity of the pole.

• Like Like x 2
  17. SweetShop209

Oh, naughty Catwoman.

• Like Like x 2
    #337 SweetShop209, Jul 20, 2017 at 11:09 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2017 at 2:58 PM
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's always felt off that Catwoman, being as big and iconic a DC character as she is, has faded into the background of the show as much as she has, not even getting in a line since (I believe) season 1. So having her take the spotlight and get a good showcase in this episode was really great :D.

I mean, what's more Catwoman-like then seeing something she wants, no matter how valuable or important, and orchestrating a successful heist to get it :anime:?

And now that we can hear her actually get to say multiple complete sentences, we can finally get a better read on Cristina Pucelli's Catwoman. Just from this episode alone I feel like she did a great job of conveying Catwoman's personality and natural charisma, showing that even the "bad girls" can sound and act classy :proud:.

Ares with the Amulet of Harmonia is just hilarious. It's like so out-of-character, but that and seeing him pal around with the girls is just so funny because of it :p.

Catwoman roping in Harley and Ivy into helping her was a nice nod to the Gotham City Sirens, and a good showing of how easily Selina can get people to do what she wants, and with that "Gotham girls have to stick together" line, it seems they all still hail from the home of the Caped Crusader :cool:.

"That's no siren, that's my Mom!" I hope Hera didn't hear you say that Ares :eek:.

I wonder how much trouble Catwoman is going to be in for this. I mean, on-top of being partially responsible for Ares going on a rampage and the likely ensuing property damage, she might be resistant to the idea of giving the amulet back :ack:.

I wonder if this is "expelled from Super Hero High" level of trouble or "getting arrested and sent to Belle Reve" level of trouble? Though maybe if she helps save the day to make up for it she'll get let off with a slap on the wrist and maybe a detention :rolleyes2:.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Golden Fleece was another neat nod. In the myth, Phrixus hung the Golden Fleece on an oak in a grove sacred to Ares. Hence, his line about being a treasured possession of his.

But yes, the meat of the webisode, finally a feature on Catwoman and expanding on her website bio and Yearbook entry about her more mischievous side. Loved the scene between her and Ivy. heh. "I want something." lol. Only gripe I guess was the abrupt ending.

The "shiny" line was a bit too Magpie, imo.

Yep, confirmed in the Yearbook.

Well, the likes of Ivy, Harley, and Riddler are still students. Most likely, detention.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked seeing Star Sapphire hanging out with Green Lantern in the cafe at the beginning :anime:.
    Well, they're both pretty ladies in tight, black leather, outfits who like pretty things. There's bound to be some overlap ;).

I did like how they made the line into a cat pun though :p.

True. Though any way you slice it she broke the law, so it'll be interesting to see how that's addressed once the girls discover what she's done :ack:.

I just wonder if the resolution of the next episode will be Catwoman helping out and learning a moral lesson or someone slapping the cuffs on her. Or both :sweat:.

If this were earlier into the series I would expect this sudden spotlight to lead to a Hero of the Month episode, especially since Catwoman still hasn't had one yet, but it's been so long since we've had one that it's probably not likely o_O.