1. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

"DC Super Hero Girls" Animated Webisodes Talkback (Spoiler)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Oct 1, 2015.

?

Discuss and Rate this Animated Series!

1. *****

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. **1/2

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RazerTheGhostling

RazerTheGhostling New Member

Maybe ran out of money??

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm, I think Blackfire's line about the Tamaran Sovereignty Day is setting up when Starfire leaves Earth for Tamaran at the start of the Summer Olympus GN.

Anyone else find it amusing how Blackfire's English is way better than Starfire's - not just DCSHG?

Looking at the production numbers. This one was 320. The Wild Side ones were 309 to 310 so they jumped ahead. This is definitely after Intergalactic Games.This day of fun-ship was if Starfire won the bet in the movie. As for the nursery rhymes, at least they sang this one in English...

In the absence of credits, I think there's either two teams or two studios doing animation. The animation one this one reminds of some from season 2 in a vague sense.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I think that's been an aspect of Hynden Walch's take on Blackfire since the original Teen Titans cartoon ;).

I think the leading theory as to why her English is so better is because she's probably kissed more people to get the hang of it :p.

I guess I understand them jumping around like this with Intergalactic Games out right now, though I guess we're going to have to play catch-up now :sweat:.

That makes sense. I guess I had just gotten so used to the other team coming back for this was pretty jarring :ack:.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I never thought of it like that. lol.

I'm no expert at telling it apart but like any show you can watch several in a row and kind of tell different teams/studios are doing them. In this case, when Starfire rams at King Shark is the most glaring example, imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Frost2016

Frost2016 New Member

After reading the 1st chapter of Out Of The Bottle, I would love to see more Ms. Moon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ares Up There/Webisode 312/DC Super Hero Girls

• Like Like x 3
  7. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty funny that Harley saved the day. Ares was cool. Both his normal version and the calmer one seen towards the end. Namaste, friend. :p

The ending with all the girls laughing at Diana was a little too silly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm guessing this takes place during "Summer Olympus" with the girls spending Summer at Themyscira ;).

I guess one of the benefits of going with the "Daughter of Zeus" origin for Wonder Woman is that you can have Diana become more easily embroiled in the family drama of the Greek pantheon, because she's technically part of them :sweat:.

I wonder what Zeus gets up to with Dionysus :rolleyes2:?

It was fun seeing Ares pop up as the villain here, and timely too with the release of the movie, and I appreciated that, despite the cutesty art style of DCSHG, he was still depicted as a pretty powerful and intimidating threat and giving the girls a real fight :cool:.

Also 90% sure that's Fred Tatasciore as Ares :evil:.

Oh look, it's all of Diana's trophies :anime:.

That conclusion with mellow Ares was hilarious. "Namaste" :p.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

51 The Ares Up There

Hun. A follow up to the Summer Olympus graphic novel before it even releases. Good thing those two free comics came out and revealed the part Ares is Wonder Woman's half brother and one of Zeus' sons. Also, wow! The webisodes are officially the 'most present' in the timeline and finally caught up to the graphic novels.

Neat to see the Amazons, Master Alchemist, and the Hall of Honors again after the Hero of the Year DTV. Ares, yeah sounded like DiMaggio especially when he fell prey to the Amulet's powers. But man, family drama indeed. Lot's of great action and animating. Dug that little bit when Ares ducks the heat vision, swats the Batarang that hits Supergirl, flames Batgirl then tosses Wonder Woman overhead. Looks basic to us peons but that probably took some doing to animate carefully, imo.

Dionysus reference was amusing since he's basically a party god. The "Harmonia" in Amulet of Harmonia was interesting since in some versions of Greek myth, she's a daughter of Ares and Aphrodite (but obviously not here in DCSHG since they're brother and sister) and there's one story that when she wed Cadmus, some jealous god gave her a cursed necklace and as a result they were turned into snakes.

EDIT: Fontana thinks Tatasciore voiced Ares.

EDIT2: So the Amulet of Harmonia is a thing from the comics, too. It discerned Ares' weaknesses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #309 Yojimbo, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  10. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

A Batgirl and Ivy team up is pretty fun

• Like Like x 2
    #310 SweetShop209, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2017
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

You'd never expect Crazy Quilt to be the one to teach students about stealth given the out there ensemble he's usually sporting :rolleyes2:.

Nice to see Katana getting her ninja on :cool:.

We don't really see Ivy interact with the rest of the main cast that much, especially compared to Bumblebee or Harley, so it was nice seeing her paired with Batgirl here. It was also kind of funny seeing Tara Strong partnered with Batgirl :p.

I would never expect this version of Ivy to call someone "colorless" and "boring," unless she was comparing them to a plant (though I think she was more referring to Batgirl's utilitarian fashion sense), though I also don't think she's ever been depicated as "frivolous" :sweat:.

I liked all of Ivy's flamboyant plant outfits and how they proved more effective then Batgirl's stealth suit :anime:.

It was cool seeing the girls square off against Grundy, Croc, Trigon, Firefly, and Giganta :evil:.

I quit liked the designs for Babs and Ivy's stealth suits. Functional and visually appealing ;).

I got a good chuckle at Batgirl being all devious for a second over letting Killer Moth get away with kidnapping Crazy Quilt so she wouldn't have to worry about her grade. I actually wonder if that's a common occurrence at Super Hero High :eek:?

Looking forward to the next part as the girls test out their stealth suits against Killer Moth :D.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #311 Frontier, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  12. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Yes, though I could argue that Katana should thematically be more samurai than ninja. But I won't quibble.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm, noticed Ivy was working/deciding on a dress before Crazy Quilt assigned her to work with Batgirl. Hm, that could imply this 52nd webisode (in terms of production # 313) takes place before Intergalactic Games -- when everyone wore formal wear at the start (but webisode 50 (#320) is set after the games). And the 51st (#312) was post Olympus because of Ares. Nice to start to get a sense of when Summer Olympus and Intergalactic Games take place in the canon.

Ivy's stealth outfit in the Giganta sense was hilarious. Just a construction worker with a 'stache.

Batgirl's stealth suit, first revealed in the Yearbook, fyi.

• Like Like x 2
  14. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's cool we're getting more multi-part stories. Batgirl's and Ivy's first reactions when learning they have to work together were pretty amusing. I also liked how many villains they managed to squeeze into this episode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

Here's today's episode

• Like Like x 2
    #315 SweetShop209, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2017
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Crazy Quilt may have fudged his resume? Total signs of a former Supervillain :rolleyes2:.

The sad thing is that Crazy Quilt probably would have given Killer Moth a new costume for free if he'd just asked him. But then I guess we wouldn't need our heroine's to beat him up :p.

Not really sure where the "stealth" in these stealth suits come from aside from the more muted, darker, colors compared to the girls' normal outfits. It seemed like the girls were just generally acting more stealthy rather then their suits serving in that function, though maybe that was the point....

I was expecting Batgirl's would at least have like a cloaking mode or something but I guess it also gave Ivy her own utility belt of sorts for her plants ;).

Poor Killer Moth. Zapped by his own bug zapper :sweat:.

Batgirl has her own personal paddy wagon? How does she afford all these vehicles? Did she build them in Will Magnus' shop class? I doubt Jim's salary covers it o_O.

I really liked what we saw of the Ivy/Batgirl team in this two-parter. They both have surprisingly a lot in common when you think about it, both being smart, resourceful, girls with red hair, on-top of being voiced by VA's who've voiced Batgirl in other cartoons :proud:.

"Jumpin' Geraniums!" Okay, let's never say that again :sweat:.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty nice stuff. I found Batgirl & Ivy sneaking around hiding behind those plants, and the Batty-Wagon hilarious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't know who they got to board and animate this websisode, but it's one of the better looking ones yet (even if a lot of shorts were animated on 3s).
    Still it does look better than the one that followed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

How did Killer Moth not get a stroke from that zap? j/k Must have been set on low. But eh, predictable. Kind of like when Crazy Quilt aced Wonder Woman on her suit in season one.

Oh yeah. This appeared in one of those LEGO shorts I think. I asked Fontana about that in terms of the Batjet and she said Batgirl's into upcycling or something so she cobbles whatever parts she finds around the city I guess to build vehicles and Batbunkers... yeah.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Wendy Long

Wendy Long New Member

Thanks for sharing about DC Super Hero Girls, actually I also like some hero girl like wonder woman, Harley Quinn,...

• Like Like x 1