1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"DC Showcase: The Spectre" Animated Short Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Feb 23, 2010.

?

Rate and Comment on This Feature

1. *****

58.5%
  2. ****1/2

31.7%
  3. ****

7.3%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

2.4%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Wag

Wag Member

I quite enjoyed this short.

Anyone else find it ironic (and and a bit sad) that this "extra" was better produced/animated than the main story?

2. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Seeing as I didn't find this better than the main movie, no I don't find it sad.

3. mr.happy

mr.happy Active Member

Nope, I didn't like it either.

In the more "modern" incarnation of the character, he's generally been someone who dealt with otherworldly or supernatural matters affecting other heroes. As a stand-alone character, there just isn't really much to get excited about, although some of his own comics tried to add deeper moral themes to his whole vengeance obsession, but this short had all the depth and sophistication of an 80s revenge flick. I got bored with it quite quickly and fast forwarded to the end.

I thought it was very well done in terms of animation and directing, but it's not a style I'm a big fan of.

I would even settle for moderately entertaining, but I'm so tired of getting ripped off by these decidedly unspecial "special editions", that I'll just stick with the regular releases from now on.

4. Wag

Wag Member

To me it seemed heavily influenced by Chinatown, and not "'80s revenge flick" at all. I suppose it would have been better if we had some idea behind Jim Corrigan's/The Spectre's motive of killing, but I guess they were limited by the amount of time available.

#44 Wag, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2010
  5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought it was surprsingly good. I was expecting it too be super-boring, but I was pleasently corrected. I wouldn't mind a sequel. The Spectre is a very interesting character. Kind of like a ghost Batman.

6. mr.happy

mr.happy Active Member

Yes, but I meant in terms of sophistication, not style or inspiration.

But that's the challenge of the short. Telling a tight story in a short amount of time is a bit of an art form, which whomever wrote this obviously hasn't mastered.

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty interesting insight from Joaquim Dos Santos oh his blog a few days ago.

Link: 2-Cents November 1, 2010

That was pretty amazing making an homage to a late 70's John Carpenter thriller (not the meh 2005 remake). With The Spectre as the first DC Showcase, it's been enjoyable watching Dos Santos' style and trademark as a producer/director emerge as more shorts came out.

8. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

I totally felt the same way. From the cheesy POV camera to the music. I couldn't think of anything else but TFtC. I loved it!

I would hope so. It's my favorite of the shorts so far. I loved every second of it.

Are you kidding? I loved the animation. And I didn't get he "Totally Spies" (which is French by the way) or american anime vibe at all. As a HUGE anime fan, I think I'd notice when an american show is going for an anime feel. I didn't get that here.

I cant agree more. I loved the main story. Thought it was great.
    But I felt that the spectre short is the best thing I've seen come out of DC/WB in a long time. I liked it more than most of the DC DTVs thus far.

Furthermore....

Anyone else totally love the soundtrack?!
    Not just the retro 70s rock/funk.
    But the incidental, background stuff? My favorite part of the whole short is the music that plays during the stunt driver night-time getaway. That music was awesome.

Everything about this short was great.
    If I had any complaint at all, it's that it made me want way more Spectre. I'd love a series like this one. Or a movie in this style.
    But something. I want more Spectre, and definitely more with this feel and this style.

BTW, in answer to the original question over best death....
    My favorite part of the movie was the stuff with the car, but overall I'd have to say the best death was the woman getting cut to shreds by her own blood-money. Great stuff.

9. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Available exclusively on the DC Showcase Animated Shorts Collection - Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam home video release (Feature Talkback, Blu-ray/DVD Talkback), discuss the extended version of this animated short!

[​IMG]
    DC Showcase: The Spectre
    Producer: Bruce Timm
    Written by: Steve Niles
    Directed by: Joaquim Dos Santos

Synopsis: A detective story with an ethereal twist, The Spectre is driven to solve a murder.

Comments?

Please post all discussions and comments about the The Spectre animated short in this thread! Please discuss the other aspects of the home video release of DC Showcase Animated Original Shorts in the proper talkback, as linked below.