1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"DC Showcase: The Spectre" Animated Short Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Feb 23, 2010.

?

Rate and Comment on This Feature

1. *****

58.5%
  2. ****1/2

31.7%
  3. ****

7.3%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

2.4%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Can't you be both:p

So I finally paid attention to the intro today and yea it's kinda silly but not super cheesy. I saw Bruce( can't mistake that forehead:D ) but I didn't catch anyone else. Still fun and still a cool short. Makes me wonder if part of the reason they made these was so fans wouldn't feel gipped when it came to bonus content.

2. Toddman

Toddman Hulk not good with words.

Yeah, that intro is awesome. I got a real HBO "Tales From the Crypt" intro vibe from it.

Toddman

3. Cabel

Cabel Member

I was pleasantly surprised by this. Hopefully they'll continue to add these showcases to future releases. With any luck we'll get a Question Showcase down the line.

4. Toddman

Toddman Hulk not good with words.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but it was great to watch a new piece of DC Animation that was directed by Joaquim Dos Santos. I didn't realize he had signed on as the director until I saw his name pop up in the opening credits.

I always loved the episodes of JLU that he directed and really enjoyed his work on G.I. Joe: Resolute as well. His talents were really on display with The Spectre and show that we seems to have no problem handling a project that branches away from his reputation as "Dr. Fight."

Of course now I guess we can call him "Dr. FRIGHT"... *rim shot*

I wonder if he'll have a chance to direct a full feature for the DCU line soon, or if he's been signed on to direct anymore of the "Showcase" shorts.

Toddman

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

He also co-produced, too, didn't he? I think that's the first time for a DC-related piece. I enjoyed this one a lot, but now that you mention it, when will we get a movie or short directed by Dos Santos with Richard Dragon, Bronze Tiger, and Lady Shiva in it? :D

6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I really loved all of the old horror references (Christine, Exorcist, Nosferatu, TCM, etc). I also kept picturing Tom Savini as the Special Effects guy.

It was pretty darned cool and there was a big 70s cop feel. I love that 70s cop music but I think it might have taken some of the scare out of the short. I think I might have liked something a little more sinister sounding. It's still a great short and nice sign of things to come. No, after watching it again, I think it's properly chilling where necessary.

Looks like Jamie Thomason, who casts for Marvel Animation, did the casting on this one.

#26 Rick Jones, Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2010
  7. Goodfellow

Goodfellow Active Member

I can honestly say I know next to nothing about the Spectre other than what he did to stop the Earths from crashing in Crisis on Multiple Earths Volume 1, but this feature was excellent. It was fast paced, brutal, and well told. Is the Spectre this violent in the comics?

8. Edgar

Edgar Member

regret?

...is it possible I bought a different (wrong) version of JL:CO2E DVD? ...It doesn't seem mine has The Specter short :( ...only a preview of Red Hood.

yes ...regret :(

...didn't realize The Specter only came with the 2-disc version ...guess I have to buy another copy :(

9. adoptedBatpuppy

adoptedBatpuppy Confidence is the Key

Yes it's possible. The Spectre short was only included in 2-disc version and Blu-Ray DVDs and not on single disc dvd.
    If you have your receipt,
    try to return the copy you already bought and see if the workers at the store can exchange your 1-disc to 2-disc DVD.

10. adoptedBatpuppy

adoptedBatpuppy Confidence is the Key

That would be Great! Let me know when this DTV will actually come out :)

11. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Chaos Yoshi Mage The Lonely Raven

I liked it, but I wish we could have got a little more in-depth with the characters of Jim Corrigan and The Spectre. Maybe if these were 20-so minutes...

12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Funny you should mention that. A bit of a minor spoiler but in terms of length, Alan Burnett revealed that the

13. DerekPowers

DerekPowers Ruler of Gotham City, 2049

Am I the only one here who didnt really care for this short? It was nothing terrible, but it just felt empty to me.

Plus, I didnt like The Spectre as a character in it. I have very limited knowledge of him from the comics, so I was surprised that I found him so unlikable. Why does he like torture and kill people so violently? I guess I wasnt into his whole "schtick" as a character.

And I found the glowing effects or lens flare stuff to be distracting and over-used, big time. And the animation overall I didnt care for, nor the designs. It looked like "Totally Spies" type of american anime.

It was better than "Chase Me", though. Anyway, hopefully the next one will be better. This felt like filler, to be honest. Just because its a "short", doesnt mean it can't be great.

14. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

yes.

it was great. especially for being just a short.

15. Robin2099

Robin2099 Active Member

Yes,because he's the spirit of vengeance brought forth from the dead. The entire point is punishes murderes in poetic justice sort of ways.

16. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

This was an excellent animated short. A+.
    Gary Cole gave a nice performance as Spectre/Jim Corrigan.
    Love the look and the feel and the 70's funk music.

The opener with Bruce Timm and all the Showcase comics was a Blast to view.

17. swarlock

swarlock Member

Yes. I collected it up till it stopped.

Oddly enough I did buy the single copy of CO2E recently expecting to find it.
    Guess it's on Blu-Ray only which is kind of a bummer. I'm not quite ready to upgrade to BR just yet.

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

The Spectre is on both the 2 Disc Special Edition for DVD and the Blu-Ray.

19. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I was originally expecting an origin story, but this was so good, that point took a back seat. It would have been nice, if that little intro had a very short explanation of who THE SPECTRE is. My coworker said, the same thing. It confused people who know nothing about this character.

Something DC execs may take advantage of it they combine these shorts on one dvd.

Can't wait for more.

20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I didn't know squat neither but when I sat down and focused on the dialogue and looked at his actions, I understood who the Spectre is. And to cover the bases, Corrigan says exactly what he does in the final line of the short. Maybe a line about "So I ended up bonded with the Spirit of Vengeance..." but still, it came across clear to me.