1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"DC Showcase: The Spectre" Animated Short Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Feb 23, 2010.

?

Rate and Comment on This Feature

1. *****

58.5%
  2. ****1/2

31.7%
  3. ****

7.3%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

2.4%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

From the creative forces behind the DC Universe Animated Original Movie line, DC Showcase puts the spotlight on favorite characters from throughout the annals of DC Comics in fascinating, short-form tales sure to entertain longtime and new fans alike. DC Showcase Presents...The Spectre!

[​IMG]
    The Spectre
    Release Date: February 23rd, 2010
    (Available on the Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths home video release)

Producer: Bruce Timm
    Written by: Steve Niles
    Directed by: Joaquim Dos Santos

Synopsis: A detective story with an ethereal twist, The Spectre is driven to solve a murder.

Comments?

Please post all discussions and comments about the The Spectre animated short in this thread! Please discuss the other aspects of the home video release of Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths in the proper talkback, as linked below.

Related Threads:
    -Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths Blu-ray/DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths Feature Review (Spoilers)
    -Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: Remember, this talkback thread is for discussion of the animated short only. If you wish to talk about the home video release or feature film, please click on the appropriate link above. We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Loved Mr. Timm's cameo in the Showcase intro. :cool:

So what's the worst death? Exploding swimming pool, giant gorilla, a possessed car, or hundreds of paper cuts.

The short was better than I thought, the feel of it was like Dirty Harry gets superpowers.

#2 Yojimbo, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2010
  3. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

Sadly, I didn't see the ending nor credits on the short. My DVD went out.

4. Simpler Simon

Simpler Simon Always in Style

I thought the hundreds of paper cuts best employed the cruel irony that the Spectre is known for. Also helps that its victim had the personal connection to Corrigan.

A beautifully animated and well-produced short all around, though it was missing something for me. Maybe I needed more focus on The Spectre - why he brings vengeance, the connection to the divine, etc. There was a chance to show why this character is such a unique part of DC's tapestry, and the end result was a by-the-numbers murder mystery.

Still, have high hopes for this line of shorts, even if the intro is a little cheesy :p

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

lmao. I think it'd be cheesier if they keep adding one more person to the intro each release. In the Jonah Hex, one maybe we'll see Timm and Burnett, too. :D

6. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought it was a nice little short. Spectre looked cool and the animation was nice. The daughter had a very....nice design;). I felt the paper cut death was the best one too as it seemed more creative than the others. I didn't pay attention to the intro so I can't say how cheesy it was:p

7. Callonme

Callonme Member

Absolutely excellent short. Can't wait to see more from this initiative.

8. dtemplar

dtemplar Old School Professor
    Reporter

My thoughts:

1. There seems to be a feel like it came out of Dirty Harry, Jim Corrigan acted more like the Clint Eastwood of the DC Universe. Instead of using a .44 Magnum, he basically scares the heck out of his victims.

2. Nobody remembers that Superman co-creator Jerry Siegel also co-created The Spectre.

3. The possessed car reminds me of Christine.

4. The sickest part of the film is when he gave the girl like a lot of paper cuts with the money.

OVERALL: Timm should do more Showcases, better yet, give The Spectre his own movie.

**** 1/2

9. Weibart

Weibart Intercept Now!
    Reporter

Great film!

I was surprised that this didn't feel short and came together on the whole really well. I really enjoyed all the film doctoring and atmosphere... great visual touches all around.

Anyone else get a Left 4 Dead vibe from the monsters? The zombie obviously, but also the little guy that spit the green goo and the blobby heavy set creature had the vibe of that game...

10. theRedDeath

theRedDeath Active Member

Great short. Beautiful animation, and I thought it was a nice touch to not give the Specter legs. It was a smart way to get around the "Green underpants, or just naked" dilemma that the character has had in the past.

And it seems like everyone missed that both Bruce Timm AND Geoff Johns were in the intro. I can't be 100% sure of course, but the man who walks in front of the camera, with his back turned, i'm almost positive was Geoff Johns.

Not only did it look like him from the back, but he's wearing the same T-shirt Johns was wearing in the other interviews on the DVD. So was Bruce Timm for that matter. They probably did all that filming on the same day.

---

11. Furious Nick

Furious Nick Maniacal Final Boss

Nicely Executed

This was a nice surprise. I did not have any real expectations for this, but it was so very good once I watched it. Beautiful animation, designs and story (for a short that is). The only reason I did not give it a perfect score was because there is still room to improve, albeit not very much room, but the potential is still there.

I did not care for the intro, but I did not think it was too cheesy. I just thought it did not really fit into the theme. Also, it was a little long for me as well. However, if that is the only set back to getting awesome shorts in the future, then bring on the cheese!

I really liked the Tarantino like feel to the short, as well. The entire time I was watching this I was thinking about how much it reminded me of Pulp Fiction. It even had that grainy film texture to it.

Very nicely done.

12. ashleesmach1

ashleesmach1 Banned

this

Short was really good. It made me wanting more of the Spectre. Can't wait for more!

13. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

I absolutely loved this! It had a cool 70's grindhouse feel, with that scratchy-looking film print and that groovy funky opening music like something out of an exploitation film. I really loved the whole gumshoe detective narration from Jim Corrigan and the moments of classic 70's Horror right down to the lens flares and the John Carpenter-like score. The animation was also more like the dark, gritty anime of the 70's and 80's, instead of most of the stuff you see coming out of Japan anymore. I'm really glad they cut loose with the violence in this, too. The death at the end with the money was friggin' great! I've never been a big follower of The Spectre, but this rendition of the character had an almost Spawn-like edge and mystique that really appealed to me. Excellent stuff!

14. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The World's Finest has posted a new studio-conducted interview from Warner Home Video featuring Steve Niles, the writer behind the The Spectre DC Showcase animated short. The The Spectre DC Showcase animated short included on the Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths home video release (DVD Talkback, Feature Talkback). Click here or on the image below for more.
    [​IMG]
    A new video clip from the The Spectre animated short is also available at The World's Finest. Please note the video clip is hosted in the Quicktime format.

Comments on The Spectre?

15. Toddman

Toddman Hulk not good with words.

Looks like most people have picked up a 70's vibe from this piece (which it definitely has, what with the homicidal muscle car, Linda Blair vomitting pea soup and all the giant moustaches), but the voice over and character dynamics were pure hardboiled Mickey Spillane P.I. story.

I thought the "aged film print" treatment over the picture was an interesting choice and probably helped to define the mood in a subconscious way. To me it seemed to also mute the color palette somewhat, which was a good thing as I thought overall the colors were a little too vibrant for such a dark and grim story.

Has that ever been a dilemma for anyone other than Alex Ross?:p

Toddman

16. Dayspring

Dayspring Active Member

I was completely blown away by how ridiculously good this was. I was expecting "just another Gotham Knight short" in regards to the quality of everything, but this was amazing storytelling, cinematography and art. I noticed people are referencing Christine and The Exorcist; just in case you didn't know, those parallels were done intentionally, what with this being the movie industry and all.

By the by, what's the deal with The Specter? I know he's the Spirit of Vengeance working for God, but is he like one of the 4 Horsemen Of The Apocalypse in that sense, or what?

17. adoptedBatpuppy

adoptedBatpuppy Confidence is the Key

Spectre short was not bad. I liked the designs and the acting. Animation was top notch too, but the fighting was a little creepy for my liking. Something about the short seemed a bit silly as well in the beginning, maybe the music. I can't wrap my mind around this. Hopefully, the next set of shorts will be even better.

18. LadyInque

LadyInque Member

This is probably just my lack of familiarity with the character, but watching the short left me confused about Corrigan. Is he actually dead? Does he still work for the police department? And… what's he pulling down, after taxes?

Seriously, I thought it was a gorgeous short, but at the end, I wasn't sure what to make of the main character.

Excellent death of a thousand cuts, I agree.

19. Dorko

Dorko Member

As per the comics, he died but was immediately ressurected to be the Specter's host. As such, no one ever knew he died (save for the mobsters who killed him but they didn't live much longer anyhow). He just continued on his work with the police department.

As for the short: it was amazing. They should work on slapping one of these things onto new DC Comics live action flicks.

20. Replikon Xum

Replikon Xum Member

So does the fact that I own the same "B'wana Beast" comic that Mr. Timm was reading make me cool? Or still a geek?

Xum