1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"DC Showcase (Animated Shorts)" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Beginning in 2010, DC Comics characters will be bursting onto the screen in their own animated shorts, slated to appear on select home video releases (and possibly broadcast television). Keep an eye on this thread for the latest DC Universe Animated Shorts project updates!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    DC Showcase Original Shorts Collection - Now Available on Blu-ray and DVD!
    To check out the newest information, look for the newest post in this thread for any updates. For more news and the latest information on what DC Animation is coming, check out the links below:
    -The World's Finest News Page

Related Thread:
    -The DC Animated DTV News & Speculation Thread, Part 6 (Spoilers)

2. Toddman

Toddman Hulk not good with words.

DC Universe Animated Shorts - This sounds like it could develop into something very cool.

Internet rumor:

Toddman

3. Dayspring

Dayspring Active Member

Oh this sounds like an excellent idea. I remember posting a while back that I wish they'd make a show called "DC Showcase" consisting of an hour of shorts like these. These would be great bonus features on the DCU DVD line. I can't wait to hear more news about this series.

EDIT: I wonder if the Lobo webisodes and the Plastic Man pilot will be among these.

4. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

While Warner Bros. Animation currently has no comment, The World's Finest can confirm that the animation studio is producing a series of animated shorts based on DC Comics characters, including Jonah Hex and more. Click here for more.

5. GL's Light

GL's Light Keeper of the Green Flame

I also posted awhile ago that I'd like to see shorts done so that lesser known characters, who wouldn't necessarily get their own movie, could get a chance to get a little of the spotlight, so this is excellent news.

6. Christo

Christo Member

Wow, quite the bombshell that was. Awesomely exciting news, fraught with possibility. And while I'm dying to know what the other projects are, I'm betting that we get more news at SDCC in a few weeks, so I think I can wait.

These could be new projects like Jonah Hex, which would be wonderful. Or sequel-ish segments for the DTVs we already have, such as the Wonder Woman-Cheetah fight from the end of WW, or spin-off stories from the Green Lantern Corps. And I know some folks on this board would squeal with delight if the DCAU was revisited in some form.

Am I the only one that imagined the Jonah Hex short in front of the live action Jonah Hex movie in 2010? I mean, I am very old, and I actually remember when there were cartoons in front of movies instead of ten minutes of commercials. Man, I'd love it if WB would bring those back.

7. Dayspring

Dayspring Active Member

Oooh, I never thought of DTV sequels. Damn, this is exciting!

They should sell shorts like those to theaters for the time between movie showings. It'd be interesting to watch them instead of some sort of actor trivia nonsense.

8. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty cool idea. I thought they might try something like this with another DTV, ala Gotham Knight, or at least I hoped they would. I love shorts and there are some DC characters I'd love to see animated who I can't really imagine sitting through a 70 min. movie for. Hopefully these will be some great self-contained stories.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Teen Titans or Young Justice short, especially since it doesn't look like a full length will be in the works soon.

9. Dayspring

Dayspring Active Member

The three New Frontier shorts would be great, too. I think the GL issues with Cryb would make for a good, darker-themed short. Man the possibilities are endless! :D

10. SaBaWoJuLe

SaBaWoJuLe Active Member

There's one thing I don't under stand: are the shorts going to be in their own DTV, or one DTV collecting all of them? Or will they be featured in seperate DCUA DTVs?

11. GL's Light

It sounds like each DC Universe movie will include one short and then, when enough shorts have been produced, they'll be re-released in a compilation DTV, perhaps with some additional material.

12. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

I just wrote this in the DTV thread, but I'll say it again:

First Jonah Hex...next up? Catwoman in Darwin style. I'll betting on it.

13. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Does anyone else think that the project Paul Dini said he was working on will be one of the shorts ?

14. GL's Light

It's possible. It'd be cool if it was a Zatanna short.

15. young101

young101 Member

Didn't that end up having something to do with comics? Like after "the battle of the cowl"?

16. JeffBreakdown

JeffBreakdown Member

so are these shorts taking place in the dcau?

lolz

17. EmaHalJordan

EmaHalJordan Well-Known Member

I hope a The Atom/Ray Palmer short! :)

18. Munkiman

Munkiman Hail Hydra.

This is a really cool idea! They can show off all the coolness of the DCU in animated form without having to commit to an entire series. In fact, it might help get some of these lesser-known characters their own show.

Jonah Hex short sounds neat, although I'd be more interested in the larger superhero side of the DCU.

My wishlist for these shorts: the Atom, the Flash, Blue Beetle (any Blue Beetle), Captain Marvel, Black Canary, the New Gods (maybe with Mr. Miracle or Orion at the forefront), Firestorm, Animal Man, Adam Strange and maybe Aquaman.

19. SaBaWoJuLe

SaBaWoJuLe Active Member

Here we go: NO!

20. Dayspring

Dayspring Active Member

It was flamebait; note the "lolz" at the end.

But, to be fair, are these expressly mentioned to be part of the DCU line? If not, they can be from any continuity (though I doubt they'd go older than DCAU).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.