"DC Nation" Programming Block Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Mar 3, 2012.

?

Rate and Comment - DC Nation Programming Block!

1. *****

35.5%
  2. ****1/2

16.1%
  3. ****

12.9%
  4. ***1/2

9.7%
  5. ***

3.2%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

6.5%
  8. *1/2

3.2%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

12.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Tune into DC Nation every Saturday at 10am (ET/PT) on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    DC Nation
    Saturdays at 10am (ET/PT) on Cartoon Network. Encores Sundays at 10am (ET/PT).

Description: DC Nation is the Home of the World's Greatest Superheroes, with new shows like Green Lantern: The Animated Series and Young Justice. It also includes amazing shorts starring Batman, Superman, Teen Titans, Plastic Man and more of your favorites! Go behind the scenes with both the creators and fans of DC Comics. Get ready to join the DC Nation, only on Cartoon Network!

Discuss Week One of DC Nation! Comments?

Remember: Discuss 'Young Justice' and 'Green Lantern: The Animated Series' in their respective talkback threads!

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. The Talon

The Talon New Member

And HERE WE GO! DC Nation has launched! :D

3. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme

Anyone see the Green Arrow Mythbusters program? They just showed a design for YJ Riddler.

4. The Talon

The Talon New Member

^Nice. Wonder if he'll appear in the last 8 episodes of the season, or if he;ll premiere in season 2.

What if he's a member of the Light? :eek:

5. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Would that boxing glove arrow really work?

6. The Talon

The Talon New Member

Good premiere as a whole for DC Nation. Can't wait to see the return of Teen Titans next week.

Also: I CALLED IT! :anime:

7. HEATXZ

HEATXZ Duck Knght

DC Nation is awesome :anime:
    The Plasticman short was hilarious XD

8. SF4Ever

SF4Ever New Member

I just watched D.C. Nation on Cartoon Network, especially the new Green Lantern series and the new episode of Young Justice, and I absolutely liked it, but of course, as we all know, there's still more to come, so let's watch again, next Saturday morning.

9. Robert McSantos

Robert McSantos New Member

I suppose that if the archer compensated for the extra weight, there's no reason those boxing glove arrows wouldn't work at a short distance. Of course, the entire idea is absurd, since the main purpose of a boxing glove is to protect the wearer's hands, and arrows wouldn't need any such protection. It would be an especially poor weapon for knocking people unconscious, just by virtue of being padded and therefore hitting softer than it otherwise would.

The Aardman shorts are just an animated version of Kids Say the Darndest Things. I'll admit that "they both fly and eat insects" made me laugh though.

The Plastic Man gag was straight out of Looney Tunes. Funniest part was that the criminal didn't actually look anything like what the lady had described, but Plastic Man still somehow managed to figure out who it was.

10. ToonsLover

ToonsLover Lover of Toons

The Plastic Man short was pure awesomeness! And I loved the fact that they made it feel like an actual block on Cartoon Network, something CN REALLY needs.

But that first short was just awful, IMO.

11. AvatarBlues

AvatarBlues Writting comix with heavy eyes

Yeah. I hated the Armand short too.

12. Harlequinn

Harlequinn Joker's Henchman

I really despised the first short. I actually really liked the Plastic Man one, which surprised me, considering I wasn't all that excited for it.

13. spartanx54

spartanx54 New Member

I found the Plastic Man hilarious. I too didn't like the aaradman short.

14. Riddler

Riddler Member

The Plastic Man short was GREAT! :D

I wonder if there's any chance that they might spin-off any of these shorts into their own series at some point? It would be cool to mix up the block with a comedic show like Plastic Man.

If the block brings in good ratings, is there any chance they might consider expanding it to two hours?

15. Robert McSantos

Robert McSantos New Member

Some of them do feel like stealth pilots, eh? But the shorts would probably have to be phenomenally well received to justify the cost of making an entire show.

You mean, with reruns of old DC series?

It'll be a moot point by 2013 anyway. Beware the Batman will obviously be joining the block, and unless either of them bombs in a major way, Green Lantern will probably return for its second season and Young Justice will get probably get one more 19 episode season to finish off its 65 episode run.

16. Jiggle-Bot

Jiggle-Bot New Member

Was the DC Nation block broad-casted in HD or will I have to wait for an encore to catch the shorts, YJ and GL in HD?

17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

I loved the Puddle Trouble pilot and knew I'd enjoy the Plastic Man shorts. Shaggy's cameo had me rolling. Breadhead fits in with all those other wacky villains from the pilot. Best lines had to be "Is Martian Manhunter available?" and "I bet this never happens to Batman!"

18. bla2772

bla2772 Member

this was only the frist day but i loved it it is great to cn bring back blocks it was my fav part of old cn expessially toonami:tom: i just hope they exend the block

19. Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo Chill. It's only an opinion.

Pretty bad start.

The live-action weapons test short seemed like it was something thrown together at the last second. I like the concept of it but it just came off as a cheap ripoff of a Nerf commercial, I would much rather them have a recurring cast to it and make it a more exciting feature.

The claymation short... I'm torn on. On one hand, I don't care for the voices and the dragging pace of it. But, on the other, I like the idea of a more subtle type of short that takes its time since the others are certain to be a bit more energetic. It would probably be vastly improved by not being by itself, though. I think as an appropriate contrast there should always be a Teen Titans short right after it.

As for Plastic Man, I mostly found it annoying and it made me miss Brave and the Bold's superior writing for him. I'm willing to give it a few more shots, though.

Overall, the shorts shown were pretty mediocre and the "DC Nation" block is very underwhelming. I was expecting the block to have more shorts to it rather than a couple animated ones and a slapped together live-action feature. There just needs to be more to it. It was also underwhelming due to the placement of the shorts. They seemed tacked on to the schedule rather than really being an integrated part of it. The Plastic Man short showing during a break from YJ felt somewhat integrated, obviously, but it was distracting to watch that and then go to the climatic end of YJ's episode. It completely throws off the anticipation.

Hopefully things change up next week. Otherwise I think this will fail pretty quickly.

20. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Chaos Yoshi Mage The Lonely Raven

I too felt the block was kinda underwhelming, but I'm mostly fine with it. That Green Arrow segment did seem cheap, but it was semi-amusing. I found both animated shorts semi-amusing as well. Curious that they're only doing two a week, since they have a ton lined up. I guess they won't be running out of content anytime soon then. I do wonder what they'll be doing short wise when the main shows are in repeats.

Also, I figured we'd see at least one of those "behind the scenes" things like they mentioned awhile back. I understand the need for air time, but I was expecting a block with a little more extra content akin to Toonami.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.