1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

'"DC Nation" Programming Block' News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

I was happy about the new YJ footage but I was a little disappointed there was absolutely nothing about Beware the Batman at the panel. :{

2. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

3. Srebak

Srebak Member

I wasn't able to catch Young Justice this week, so could someone here fill me in on the DC Nation commercials and shorts for "Image" please?

4. EmaHalJordan

EmaHalJordan Well-Known Member

yesss!!! :D I hope for Ray Palmer, my second favorite hero after Hal Jordan!

#464 EmaHalJordan, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

So for the weekend of the 24th-25th, the shorts we're getting will be
    1. DC's World's Funnest (03)
    2. Plastic Man "The Many and The Fowl"

Also one of the shorts for the 31st will the second one for Superman of Tokyo. No listing for the second short, yet.

Source: Here's the thumbnail from YJ's schedule on its CN subsite (clicking will lead to a bigger version of it)

[​IMG]

And according to the WonderCon panel recording from YouTube, we'll be seeing more of the weapon testing interstitials. More Batman gadgets, some of Robin's, and one of Cyborg's.

That reminds me. For the sake of reference, I'll be updating the first post of this thread with a list of what shorts and interstitial is aired every week. Your answer is there, Srebak.

6. Hero Supreme

Hero Supreme Mr Jinx No More

Yojimbo, you are amazing! Don't forget the New Teen Titans (Burp) and DC's World's Funnest that aired on Nov 11, 2011

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

It's no big deal but thanks! I totally forgot about those two from the GL preview last year. Thanks!

EDIT: Teaser image for Doom Patrol and Animal Man shorts were posted today!

8. the greenman

I was under the assumption Animal Man was a Vertigo book. I thought that's why he hasn't been used in animation yet.

9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I think he had titles under both DC Comics and Vertigo. Nonetheless, his first appearance was in Strange Adventures and he's appeared throughout other titles so I think he's fair game.

10. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

Animal Man's current book is published by DC and always was. Along with Swamp-Thing and Doom Patrol they were DC books at the start, but when DC founded Vertigo they moved those books over there. So being a Vertigo book wouldn't be the reason he hasn't been used in cartoons yet.

11. the greenman

That certainly wasn't always true cause creators could not use Swamp Thing sometimes back.

12. RoryWilliams

I was under the impression that Animal Man simply wasn't used in animation because the two venues where it was most logical for him to show up (JLU and Brave and the Bold) were both already using Vixen, who has virtually the same exact power set. In-story it's even pointed out that the two have extremely similar abilities. It could just have been a matter of redundancy.

Though it likely didn't apply to Animal Man, I do think there was some sort of issue with Vertigo-related properties. I know Ben Jones said they definitely weren't allowed to use Swamp Thing on the Brave and the Bold. On the other hand they did use Black Orchid, but it was definitely the original 70's version and not the Neil Gaiman revamp.

#472 RoryWilliams, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2012
  13. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

Very curious how these Animal Man shorts will turn out. The Grant Morrison run could potentially make a great adaptation for Adult Swim or a DTV.

14. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Cartoon Network has passed along video clips from two new animated shorts scheduled to air this weekend as part of the DC Nation programming block. Click here or on the image below for more.

[​IMG]

15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Hey, Lady Granite from the pilot! Ha ha, I'd love to see the Plastic Man shorts get to be a full series.

16. byron lomax

byron lomax Member

In regard to DC not using Vertigo characters in their animations, this definitely seems to have changed, at least for some of these DC Nation shorts. In the preview commercial a few weeks back, there's a clip of Shade the Changing Man; and although the character was originally created by Ditko in the 70s, the version onscreen is definitely the 90s Milligan/Bachalo Shade, which was one of the "mature readers" DC titles that made the switch to Vertigo on its launching.

Interestingly, this Shade originally had no connection to the DC universe, like a lot of the later Vertigo titles, although that changed with "Flashpoint". I'm really excited to see it, as Shade is one of my favourite comic series and I never expected this to happen!

17. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Chaos Yoshi Mage The Lonely Raven

Animal Man awesome! I loved the issue I read of him.

18. RoryWilliams

It looks like the DC Nation guys are doing their homework. Apparently Lady Granite from the Plastic Man short is an obscure Golden Age villainess!

19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yup, they just flipped her name around from Granite Lady. A couple more of the villains from the pilot look like they're from the comics but I'm not up to snuff on Golden Age Plastic Man so there may be more:
    1. The Human Puddle is based on Mister Aqua who appeared in Plastic Man #25 (1960)
    2. Grasshopper is from Plastic Man #6 (1947)

EDIT: According to an interview with Rich Webber, there are 10 DC's World's Funnest shorts. He also talked about the casting process.

#479 Yojimbo, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2012
  20. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It's been awesome that Cartoon Network was updating their DC Nation site with all of the shorts and interstitial material but they seem to have not gotten back to the practice since the week before last. I was really counting on going there to rewatch them rather than keeping the programs stored on the DVR,.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.