1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"DC Extended Universe" Movie News & Discussion Part 2 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, Sep 8, 2016.

1. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I already made my opinion known several times on these boards. If the studio execs are running/ruining stuff, it will be more of the same. Expect Affleck to drop out after his contract is over. If they don't find someone to shepherd this connective universe, don't try anymore.

Now you see why JGL left Sandman (even though that was a bad idea), Del Toro left Dark Universe, and we never got stuff like Barry Sonenfelds Metal Men. This is a studio that should pride themselves in allowing creative freedom. I would be weirded out and upset that they never got a universe, but being a born and bred New Yorker, I don't cry about the Knicks every year.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, that headline made me think of Office Space when the Bobs meet Peter and McGinley's 'hypothetically' line and Peter's reply.

But joking aside, WB always leaned 'darker' in tone anyway. They've already experimented with those ultimate unrated cuts in home release. But instead of being reactionary and jumping on the band wagon when a Marvel movie does bank, they need to perfect their PG-13 titles first, imo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. the greenman

And two of them are remakes? Lobo is a huge no kidding.

5. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Suicide Squad 2 seems like the obvious choice to me, especially when David Ayer said he wanted the sequel to be R-rated when he was still tied to the project.

6. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

I would not remake any of the previous movies, but I would act as though the previous adaptations never existed and ignore them. I do agree with Greg that Suicide Squad 2 is an obvious suggestion. I would also add Swamp Thing to the list.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Squad 2 seems like a good guess, and the potential Justice League Dark film as well (especially since the recent DTV was R).

I just hope that they aren't taking the wrong lesson from Deadpool/Logan. Those two worked because both characters work very well with the rating, but you can't just slap an R rating to any hero (I never want to see an R rated Flash or Green Lantern film).

And in Logan's case, it wasn't just there for shock value. I think an R rated Squad film could work excellently, as long as there aren't a bunch of "shocking" scenes just added to say "See, we're hardcore!"

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

They already confirmed they're only doing that with appropriate movies and characters. “One hundred percent yes. With the right character(s),”

9. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Well, a Deathstroke film could work well as a R-rated DCEU film. Also, I'd love to see an R-rated MCU film though it's unlikely and due to the fact that the Netflix shows are the closest thing to an R-rated MCU film.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

10. the greenman

They just need to get Netflix films. A limited run in theatres, but at least we can get an unrated Blade film.

11. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I'm not sure if Disney would be up for an R-rated MCU movie.

As for a Deathstroke movie, maybe after the Batman movie, we'll see the response to the character.
    I was literally thinking about this either yesterday or earlier today, but I don't think Marvel will want movies on Netflix.

Since it's called the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the movies are the most important part of this universe and I'm thinking they want to keep these movies on the big screen.

A limited run in theatres could work but I'm still not sure how they want to use their more mature characters outside of Netflix (and S.H.I.E.L.D. for Ghost Rider).

In DC's case, they don't have any shows in the DCEU so the whole universe is just movies and their tone invite R-rated movies. I could definitely see DC having no problems in regards to TV shows or the film company (WB) being against the idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. the greenman

Well David Ayer is doing Bright with big Willy, Scorcese is doing The Irishman, and Brad Pitt has a new film as well. Marvel is just not focused on them enough to pay attention to what options they do have. It is a calculated risk, but right now a Marvel Netflix film could work. However, I feel Feige may not want to tether R-rated content to his MCU just yet. If number crunchers see it has a possibility of hampering the billionaire MCU franchise; they might steer clear of it.

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Hence my quote:
    Marvel has done comics aimed at an older audience like Marvel Max in addition to quitting the now-defunct Comics Code Authority in the early Noughties to do their own rating system and plus Disney did have a specific unit to release R-rated stuff, which was Touchstone.

When I said though it's unlikely, it's because of what Kevin Feige said a year ago in response to BVS getting an R-rated extended version.

Of course, Disney wouldn't do R-rated stuff unless they bring back Touchstone, which is now unlikely since that unit is most likely defunct as the joint partnership with Dreamworks was terminated last year when Dreamworks switched to Universal (with one exception being Ghost in the Shell, which will be released by Paramount) and Entertainment One (due to the fact that both DW and eOne are owned by Amblin Partners) at the same time as its animated division Dreamworks Animation became part of Universal and poor box office results of several films from the joint partnership.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

#74 AdrenalineRush1996, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  15. the greenman

Has no one mentioned Vaughn doing MoS sequel. One article suggested it as a reboot.

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Because there's a thread for it already. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  17. the greenman

No I understand that, but if that rumor holds water as being a little true, DC might be onto something. Even going so far to suggest that's why they're going back to square one on this too.

18. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Justin Kroll, film reporter for Variety, states WB might have plans for another movie in 2018 if they can get another one filming this year. The considered movies are Justice League Dark, The Flash, Green Lantern Corps, Gotham City Sirens, and Suicide Squad 2.
    Kroll Tweet 1
    Kroll Tweet 2
    Kroll Tweet 3

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Hopefully that doesn't rush any of these movies along. Out of those, JLD and Flash probably have a draft done already?

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

There are probably a few drafts for those two ready to be refurbished :rolleyes2:.

• Agree Agree x 2