1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Entertainment announces new slate of Hanna-Barbera titles

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Jan 28, 2016.

1. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Actually, in re.: Space Ghost, Birdman, et al, they are trying to fix what was broken as it relates to rebooting the characters for left-handed satirical purposes, because an average kid on the street won't know unless you hand him/her a Space Ghost DVD covering the 1966 series (1981 revival is not on DVD yet, I think) that he was a hero before he was turned into a Letterman/Leno parody.

13 years ago, DC did a Space Ghost miniseries that actually gave SG a legitimate origin story and explained how he met and, ah, "adopted" Jan & Jace. I'd like to see them reissue that to tie into Future Quest.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Atomic tea bag

In fact - from what I've seen and heard up to now - they have REALLY messed up The Impossibles in "Future Quest"!! They, (and Franky Jr.), just do NOT fit in with the others here. Yes, I can see that they would need a more realistic appearance to fit in, (and there is some fan art where that is done well), but their story style is more light-hearted and I think should be kept that way - it would have been better, I think, to have them in a separate short story in each issue in their original style, (perhaps alternating with Franky Jr. - not a fan myself but lots are) as light relief. I can see their powers would be useful in the main story - but I just don't think it's right for them - and the fad of making stuff "Dark and Gritty" when it was never intended to be is no longer cool and "edgy", but old and tired). And - it seems they have added a forth, female member! I for one DON'T want her. This will surely take away attention from the original members and ruin the dynamic between them. I am NOT being sexist - I'm female myself and wouldn't want a new member of either sex and there are female characters in the comic from other cartoons anyway. They have also changed Buzz Conroy's ethnicity, (and possibly that of another character), and, while we certainly need ethnic diversity, changing the race of characters who have been the same for decades, (unless there is some sort of explanation in the stories such as the threat they are banded together to defeat affects DNA this way or whatever), just comes across as silly and defeats the object. And, (although it's hard to be sure yet), Multi Man looks as if he's been bulked up somewhat - if so, why? The different looks and body types of the Impossibles was very positive and a great example of diversity, especially as they were all considered heart-throbs! It's like; we MUST bow down to the PC extremists, just as happened when the Impossibles was taken off the air because the Mummy Mafia pressure-groups were whining about it being "too violent" by changing the race of characters which has been established for decades and sticking a token female in the Impossibles - but, oh, no, we can't have a skinny male super-hero"!! I was expecting better than this to celebrate the Impossible's 50th anniversary of airing this year - and who's to say those who are not familiar with their original form won't like it better than this?

#22 Atomic tea bag, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  3. hobbyfan

Don't know where you've seen a 4th, female Impossible, but Kenny McCall would be very, very happy. The Impossibles, Space Ghost, & Frankenstein, Jr. all turn 50 this year, so some upgrades apparently were in order to commemorate the occasion.

Looking forward to Future Quest myself.

4. Atomic tea bag

It's a girl in a blue outfit on the Impossimobile on a couple of the variant covers who it seems (from what I can gather), will be a member both on stage and crimefighting - wouldn't mind if she would just help out now and again, but I really think another permanent member is a BAD idea - for some teams, like DC's Legion of Super Heroes, (my fave comic until the seemingly endless reboots)! new members being added, (and occasionally one leaving), worked really well - but I really don't think it's right for the Impossibles! (Sorry Kenny)!! Hoping she will go into the future at some point in the comic and run off with one of Jonny Quest's descendants or something......

5. hobbyfan

For all we know she could be.....wait. I'm trying to picture in my mind the variant cover you are referring to, ATB. Could that actually be Space Ghost's ward, Jan (blue & yellow costume, black mask), as she figures into the first arc.

6. Atomic tea bag

Of course they will keep us guessing about the comic's contents until it's release - just give bits of previews here and there, (apparently there is a preview magazine for this series which will be free in comic shops on 11th MAY), but I'm really not hopeful that this will do the Impossibles justice. Especially with DC's track record of fixing what was never broken with their own titles! I've always thought the Impossibles is something really special and have been pleased to find so many like-minded folk in the last few years - but I just don't think including them in the main story in FQ is a good idea.

7. hobbyfan

Thanks for the heads up on the May 11 preview. That's one week before the series launches.

8. Atomic tea bag

You are welcome! Wasn't Kenny the one who had a notion of gender-flipping Multi into a "gorgeous blonde female"?! Even this is a better idea than THAT!!!!!!

#28 Atomic tea bag, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  9. hobbyfan

Yeah, he was. I was content with leaving the Impossibles as a trio, as they were originally envisioned.

10. Atomic tea bag

Yes, any more members would just ruin the balance, so to speak - if this is another the writers decided to put in, I hope she dosen't last long - I'm already thinking she's taking away attention from the others by people asking who she is! Us Impossibles fans have been short-charged all along.......!!!