1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Entertainment announces new slate of Hanna-Barbera titles

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Jan 28, 2016.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

DC Comics has all the details and preview art:

More art can be found at the link above, but the revamp Scooby Gang can be seen below. Brace yourself.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

The Jonny Quest one looks okay, but the others just seem like parodies of themselves. What is with Shaggy's moustache?

3. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Scooby Apocalypse will be either the 3rd Scooby book @ DC or it replaces Scooby-Doo Team-Up. The promo image suggests the gang are adults here, hence, in particular, Shaggy with a handlebar mustache & full beard. It's DC's answer to Walking Dead and Afterlife With Archie, the latter of which is months late.

I'm stoked for Wacky Race Land and Future Quest especially. Just not feeling the Flintstones, since the designs look like they're taken from the 90's live-action movies (and Barney does look like a plumper Stephen Baldwin). Figure Future Quest & Flintstones as spin-offs from the Flintstones & Jonny appearing in Scooby-Doo Team-Up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

The Scooby ideas might be a bit too weird for their own good. Future Quest, I am unironically all in. Bizarre crossovers, prospects for adventure IN SPACE. Really, how do I not try that?

My hope is they mostly take a tone not unlike takes on Samurai Jack, Powerpuff Girls, & other toon adaptations. Updating is fine, even obligatory in the case of some decades-old stuff maybe, but I'm not sure the Herculoids are the Herculoids if the sword guy is talking like Conan. Keep it (relatively) smart, keep the content & writing at a level that's inviting to anyone, and maybe we have something here.

As I quipped on twitter....Space Ghost x Green Lantern when?

• Like Like x 1
  5. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

The Jonny Quest one looks cool but I'm not sure how I feel about the rest.

6. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

I was a bit surprised, for sure, but I kind of like it. Future Quest being my favorite. I like how it looks and I like the idea. Seeing Johnny and Hadji aiming at Space Ghost is... interesting. At least something is finally happening with some of these properties and it gives you an idea which of their action shows they're at least remotely interested in. If the response is good, they might bring back some of them as shows. Maybe it's part of a soft launch for that live Jonny Quest film. But yeah, kinda like Super Friends. The rest for me are a tie, can't pick one over another. They're good in a sense that they're different, especially Scooby Apocalypse, but at the same time they look a bit weird. Not that the visuals necessarily wouldn't fit, but I'm not really feeling it. Future Quest on the other hand looks natural.

7. Jonwo

Jonwo Member

I wonder if Blue Falcon will appear in FutureQuest? Teaming up the HB action heroes is something that I've wanted to see for ages.

Scooby Apocalypse and Wacky Race Land look interesting, Scooby have done well with reinvention but might be too much for fans. The Flintstones I assume will be keep the spirit of the original but updating it with modern references.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

I bet this DC Flintstones comic book reboot will be great, after Seth "Family Guy" McFarlane failed to reboot the cartoon series.

9. hobbyfan

I think that for now, they'll focus on the 60's first, since, in particular, Space Ghost, Frankenstein, Jr., and the Impossibles are turning 50 this year. So are the Space Kiddettes, but they're not included---yet.

10. popa

popa Member

What do you think of the new reimaginings of Scooby-Doo,The Flinstones,Johnny Quest and Space Ghost as DC comics?

11. hobbyfan

Late to the party, eh, Popa? The question should be posed to you. What do you think?

12. HEATXZ

HEATXZ Duck Knght

I really looking forward to Future Quest the most :D
    I will give Flintstones a chance

13. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

The Scooby Apocalypse reminds me of Ghostbusters which reminds me of Thirteen Ghosts of Scooby-Doo (they should really finish the series in comic format). The Scooby Gang look obviously modernized, so Hipster Shaggy is appropriate. That Future Quest comic looks cool too, and I don't mind the movie-ish designs of the Flintstones cast. Yogi Bear comic next, please?

14. hobbyfan

The New York Daily News ran an article today saying that fans voiced their displeasure on DC's Facebook page. It's Loonatics Unleashed haterizing all over again, 11 years later.

The problem people have with iconic characters like Scooby is that they're afraid to accept changes. I referenced Afterlife With Archie in an earlier post, and no one seemed to object to that series when it first came out in the fall of 2013. That Afterlife went on hiatus again last year because writer/creative director Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa has been in Hollywood when he should've had the current story arc completed speaks volumes to his lack of commitment. DC will pull the plug early if Scooby Apocalypse fails to please the hardcore Scooby fans. Come to think of it, it's probably just a miniseries anyway.

15. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Now why won't DC comics get the rights to do a new Tom and Jerry comic book series as a companion to its Looney Tunes comic book series?

16. hobbyfan

Either because they don't believe a T & J book will sell in 2016, though their videos do, or WB, which currently holds the rights, is skittish about a T & J book in 2016. Period.

17. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Rule one of the internet: Scooby-Doo fans hate everything past 1973.

18. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I am surprised no one has mentioned those tattoos on Fred's and Shaggy's arms yet :sweat:

#18 Red Arrow :D, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  19. hobbyfan

The less said, the better, I suppose.

20. Atomic tea bag

I like Jonny Quest, and "Future Quest" includes my favourites The Impossibles - so I'm interested, but I just hope they don't try to fix what was never broken! I'm already brassed off that they seem to have left off Multi Man's cape.....!!!!!!!