1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Comics to relaunch books with "Rebirth," new #1s in Summer 2016

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by Wonder Woman, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Details are starting to come out. All titles will be going to $2.99 price point, Action Comics and Detective Comics will return to their original numbering, all other titles will get a new #1 and some core titles will go bi-monthly. A bunch of news will be released today at ComicPro:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...h-plan-seeks-to-restore-legacy-to-dc-universe

They even have a promotional video for it:

Update: The line-up:

June:

Rebirth Specials:

• AQUAMAN REBIRTH #1
    • BATMAN REBIRTH #1
    • THE FLASH REBIRTH #1
    • GREEN ARROW REBIRTH #1
    • GREEN LANTERNS REBIRTH #1
    • SUPERMAN REBIRTH #1
    • TITANS REBIRTH #1
    • WONDER WOMAN REBIRTH #1
    New #1 Issues (Shipping twice monthly):
    • AQUAMAN #1
    • BATMAN #1
    • THE FLASH #1
    • GREEN ARROW #1
    • GREEN LANTERNS #1
    • SUPERMAN #1
    • WONDER WOMAN #1
    New Issues (Shipping twice monthly):
    • ACTION COMICS #957
    • DETECTIVE COMICS #934
    July
    Rebirth Specials:

• BATGIRL & THE BIRDS OF PREY REBIRTH #1
    • HAL JORDAN & THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS REBIRTH #1
    • THE HELLBLAZER REBIRTH #1
    • JUSTICE LEAGUE REBIRTH #1
    • NIGHTWING REBIRTH #1
    • RED HOOD & THE OUTLAWS REBIRTH #1
    • HAL JORDAN & THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS #1
    • JUSTICE LEAGUE #1
    • NIGHTWING #1
    New #1 Issues (Shipping monthly):
    • BATGIRL #1
    • BATGIRL & THE BIRDS OF PREY #1
    • THE HELLBLAZER #1
    • RED HOOD & THE OUTLAWS #1
    • THE SUPER-MAN #1
    • TITANS #1
    Fall
    Rebirth Specials:

• BATMAN BEYOND REBIRTH #1
    • BLUE BEETLE REBIRTH #1
    • CYBORG REBIRTH #1
    • DEATHSTROKE REBIRTH #1
    • EARTH 2 REBIRTH #1
    • SUICIDE SQUAD REBIRTH #1
    • SUPERGIRL REBIRTH #1
    • TEEN TITANS REBIRTH #1
    • TRINITY REBIRTH #1
    • CYBORG #1
    • DEATHSTROKE #1
    • HARLEY QUINN #1
    • JUSTICE LEAGUE AMERICA #1
    • SUICIDE SQUAD #1
    New #1 Issues (Shipping monthly):
    • BATMAN BEYOND #1
    • BLUE BEETLE #1
    • EARTH 2 #1
    • GOTHAM ACADEMY: NEXT SEMESTER #1
    • SUPERGIRL #1
    • SUPERWOMAN #1
    • SUPER SONS #1
    • TEEN TITANS #1
    • TRINITY #1

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...-line-twice-monthly-books-lowered-price-point

2. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Super Sons? OMG! That was an old, occasional escape from reality, if you will, in World's Finest.

Now, will someone throw us a bone and, since Starfire's series has been cancelled (she rejoins Red Hood & Arsenal, I take it), another alien hottie can get some attention (if you can't tell by the text color used who I refer to, I'm embarrassed for you).

3. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

What if Supersons is about Damian Wayne and Jonathon Kent?

Also Catwoman finally got cancelled, called it!

4. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Hmmm. I'm still feeling like I didn't get anything from the video or list of titles. I'm wondering if the approach for Rebirth is a more "straight up" approach to the characters/stories. Beginning with the Johns/Romita to current Superman run, and Bryan Hitch's JLA, I've considered those "straight up" stories. Despite it being the new 52 and remembering previous incarnations of the characters, I've been always feeling "now THIS is Superman (or Justice League)" as I read the debut issue and through the arc.

I hope the creative teams are pretty impressive. I wish we got some short summaries for the titles that aren't obvious just by the titles (The Super-Man, Green Lanterns, Superwoman, Super Sons). I was surprised to see Batman Beyond, it has to be getting close to being one of the most relaunched titles ever.

5. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

1. That's a distinct possibility, the best kind of call back to the original Super Sons concept.

2. My bro is going to be pissed, because he reads Catwoman, and was digging Frank Tieri's writing on the book. Tieri gets one story arc, and it's over in May.

#25 hobbyfan, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Rebirth Creative Teams revealed:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...ium=internal_links&utm_source=breaking_banner

- Batman by Tom King and David Finch.

- Detective Comics by James Tynion and Eddy Barrows.

- Nightwing by Tim Seeley, Javi Fernandez, and Marcus To.

- Batgirl by Hope Larson and Rafael Albuquerque.

- Batgirl and the Birds of Prey by Julie Benson and Shawna Benson.

- All-Star Batman by Scott Snyder and various artists including John Romita Jr.,Tula Lotay, and Afua Richardson.

- Action Comics by Dan Jurgens, Partick Zircher, Tyler Krikham, and Stephen Segovia.

- New Superman by Gene Luen Yang.

- Supergirl by Steven Orlando.

- Trinity by Francis Manapul and Clay Mann.

- Superwoman by Phil Jimenez and Emanuela Luppachino.

- Superman by Peter Tomasi, Patrick Gleason, and Doug Mahnke.

- Wonder Woman by Greg Rucka, Liam Sharp, and Nicola Scott.

- Justice League by Brian Hitch, Tony Daniel, and Fernando Pasarin.

- Flash by Joshua Williamson, Carmine Di Giandomenico, and Neil Googe.

- Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. by Robert Venditti, Ethan Van Sciver, and Rafa Sandoval.

- Green Lanterns by Sam Humphries, Robson Rocha, and Ardian Syaf.

- Cyborg by John Semper, Will Conrad, and Paul Pelletier.

- Aquaman by Dan Abnett and Brad Walker.

- Titans by Dan Abnett and Brett Booth.

- Harley Quinn by Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner, Chad Hardin, and John Timms.

- Suicide Squad by Rob Williams, Jim Lee, and Philip Tan.

- Green Arrow by Ben Percy, Otto Schmidt, and Juan Ferreya.

- Red Hood and the Outlaws by Scott Lobdell and Dexter Soy.

- Hellblazer by Simon Oliver and Moritat.

- Deathstroke by Christopher Priest, Carlo Pagulayan, Igor Vitorino and Felipe Watanabe

- Batman Beyond by Dan Jurgens and Bernard Chang.

- Blue Beetle by Keith Giffen and Scott Kollins.

- Teen Titans by Ben Percy and Jonboy Meyers.

7. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

The June 2016 solicits are out, with the full details of the Rebirth or whatever they're calling it now.

My favorite bit is probably this in the solicit for the main title:

"Brings back what has been lost." I'm forced to ask who has been minding the store for at least a decade, and would therefore be responsible for losing it?

Anyway, more from DC to confirm that they have very little to offer me in the regular monthly comics. I see this whole thing as more of the fundamentally flawed thinking that all you really need to win back readers and score some of that sweet sweet general-audience that's going to the movies is the right Origin Story. Or just another one.

8. rggkjg1

Hmmm. Rebirth is sounding more and more like that "straight up" approach I've been feeling from Justice League Of America and Superman (Johns/Romita and "Before Truth").

Most interesting for me is that the Post Crisis Lois and Clark are going to be around. I just wish I was seeing the REAL Superman costume in the solicits. Post Crisis/"real" Superman can wear that and the new 52 can wear his so we can tell the difference if both of them are going to be around.

Other than the default titles I was most likely going to get (every Batman & Superman and Wonder Woman), I'm not too impressed with the creative teams since I'm unfamiliar with them. I'll be looking into The Flash since I'm hoping it will be a good jumping on point due to the TV show. I just don't know why I'll be going with The Flash and right now looking to pass on Green Arrow.

Looking forward to seeing "wave 2" of DC Rebirth in the July Solicitations.

9. Ed Liu

Why would there be a "wave 2?" By July, we're going to be looking at "DC Revival" or "DC Resurrection" or "DC Repeat Ad Infinitum," to bring back the love and glory of DC and define these iconic characters for a new era.

10. Ed Liu

Comics Alliance has big time spoilers on what's coming in Rebirth #1. Which sure sounds like it's going to "bring back what has been lost" by doing the same convoluted nonsense that they've been doing for years now, but with new #1 issues to make it look like it's a fresh start. It sounds like a reboot that's not a reboot and a streamlining of continuity that requires an advanced doctoral degree on the past 10 years of comic book superhero history to understand what happened when and where, all done by tying things together that did not need to be tied together and answering questions that nobody was asking.

And...

So I'll definitely be sitting this one out and hoping none of this pollutes the animated films. Wake me when they reboot again in the next few months.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think it sounds that convoluted, personally, or at least anymore then what I'm used to in comics. Granted I've just read spoilers and haven't actually seen the physical book :sweat:.

It actually sound like an interesting way for DC to not reboot again while still bringing in elements from the past that were lost with Flashpoint and re-focusing the brand in a way that acknowledges past mistakes, seeks to correct them, and moves the universe forward in a more positive direction while honoring its history :).

I think the way they're going about it, and the identity of the person who's been messing with the DCU, is a big gamble, but one I'm interested to see play out ;).

And there's admittedly a lot I'm looking forward to now:

12. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ed Liu

Interesting take on what's coming. One that I think I'd be willing to put more stock in if it weren't for the fact that, as I said above, nobody at senior levels of DC's management have changed. They're all the same people doing the same jobs. So if one takes the commentary aspect of what's being discussed at face value, then it's a pretty powerful repudiation of what they've been doing for years now.

I'd be all for-it if that is what they're doing, but given the number of false starts, I think I have a right to be skeptical.

• Like Like x 1
    #33 Ed Liu, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it's a take I'm more willing to believe in because, from interviews, it sounds like said upper management at DC realizes that, while the New 52 wasn't a mistake, it was flawed and that a lot of important and positive elements of the DCU were lost.

Even some of the narration and lines in the preview for Rebirth are a sort of, on-the-nose, condemnation of some of the bad or less savory moves DC has made in the past.

And Johns seems to have had a lot of contact and discussions with each writer for Rebirth about their run and what's going to happen, making sure that there's a clear focus and direction for the line going forward, one of "hope and optimism," so hopefully that rings true :).

15. rggkjg1

I just wanted to make my prediction before tomorrow's issue. I don't know any spoilers. I predict that every and any person in the new 52 universe suddenly remember their post crisis lives/memories, thus becoming the post crisis incarnations while still continue to live in the new 52 universe.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

DC has just released a new image promoting Rebirth: