1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Comics to relaunch books with "Rebirth," new #1s in Summer 2016

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by Wonder Woman, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Given the solicitations for their April books, and how some of them seem to be in fill-in mode, I get the sense that this rumor might be pretty true. DC Comics desperately needs to fix their sales so I get the #1s, but will they also be adjusting their universe as well?

Marvel does it all the time ... why not DC?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01...-bent/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Eh......sure, why not. This is getting sad.

From what I've heard, Marvel's relaunch didn't even come close to the sales spike they had hoped for -- in fact, some titles lost readers. This gimmick is running out of steam, and it's clearly all they have left or they'd try something else for once.

It makes me wonder if super-comics are finally nearing their end, at least in the traditional form.

3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Given all the market share they lost in 2015 and how there's quite a few fans upset with the current directions of their bigger books, I was expecting a big shakeup was bound to happen.

I'm not crazy about the constant relaunches from Marvel which, as Peter mentioned, is starting to lose its effect, but it's still a tried and true method of garnering interest and attention on a book and starting a "fresh" run on a title. So not surprised to see DC implementing it.

Be interesting to see what gets launched aside from the mainstays (Justice League, everybody who's a part of the Justice League, any BatFamily book, Superman family). I hope the new teams we get are good at least, and that DC does a good job marketting this relaunch compared to DCYou :sweat:.

4. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

They could just fire Dan Didio too bad that's impossible.

5. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

I wish DC would cut it out with the reboots. It just won't make the company better by itself. And I do wish Marvel will stop trying to be like the movies based on the comics. Seriously, they're adapting from adaptations... adaptations might I add, of their own comics!!

6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, it's not a reboot though. It's a relaunch :sweat:.

7. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Reboot, Relaunch, Remake, Retelling, Reimagining, Re-"Let's fix things that aren't broken", same difference.

(I apologize for my demeanor, but these kind'a things really have been bugging me since The New52 started.)

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

After seeing this thread, I've been digging around to try and figure out what they might be doing until what they're doing is officially announced. I came across this:

Scott Snyder is leaving Batman for Detective Comics (Batman will be shipping bi-weekly and Detective Comics will be monthly)
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/report-scott-snyder-depart-batman-join-detective-comics

Additional titles going bi-weekly
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/12/21/dc-comics-to-make-their-comic-books-go-bi-weekly/

Any title that will be bi-weekly, better be $2.99. End of story. I'm going through the solicitations and I'm thinking there's too many titles, and I wonder if a significant amount of people read them. If any titles get canceled, that should be it. Not relaunching the same brand as a new title, or doing a new title to take it's place. What ever series is canceled, that is one less comic DC publishes (for now). It's easy to say that since I don't read any of the comics I wonder if people read, so I'll look at the ones I DO read. If I am going to be getting a bi-weekly Superman and Batman title, then Batman/Superman and Superman/Wonder Woman needs to go. I want/hope this relaunch or whatever it actually is somehow saves consumers money. As a reader of Batman, Superman, Batman/Superman, and Superman/Wonder Woman, I'm obviously spending more because two of the titles are bi-weekly. Combine Batman/Superman and Superman/Wonder Woman into one title with enough more pages to keep the price low near $3.99 - $5.99. Or have those respective titles demoted to backups in a solo title. Or cancel them.

For those titles I read and the ones I wonder if people read, maybe DC can bring back DC Comics Presents, World's Finest, Adventure Comics, Superman Family, Batman Family, Brave and The Bold, All American Comics, All Star Comics, House Of Mystery, House Of Secrets, Mystery In Space, Showcase, Star-Spangled Comics/War Stories, Strange Adventures, More Fun Comics, ect and use them to feature any current brands/characters that could be applicable. Also publish Mysterious Suspense for the Charlton characters, and most importantly, THE QUESTION.

No matter what, I'll most likely pay the extra anyway if that's the way it is going to be. But with really nothing else announced yet, I have no idea what to be pondering about what is in store for us.

9. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

That is a bet you would probably lose. Ever since the 90's the Big Comics strategy has been to milk as much as possible out of their hardcore base.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Will they never learn? Of course not. Why bother relaunching at #1 again? Because there are still fools who see #1 as a collector's item, though that lost the lustre a long time ago.

11. rggkjg1

But at this point, is milking it like they've been for the past 20 years now really going to do anything? So they get a boost for 1-2 months, and after that we're back to where we're at now or before whatever the previous scheme they came up with was. I honestly believe at this point, less and less people are falling for these same tactics.

12. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

My hope for this "rebirth" is that the titles become a bit more accessible and creators are given a little more freedom. It seems like that's what they'll be doing with Scott Snyder's Batman book. "Batman" gets a bi-weekly more straight forward book while Snyder does whatever in Detective Comics which works fine with me. It is tiring to see DC getting raked over the coals for doing this while no one barely bats an eye at Marvel doing three different relaunches in the past five years on most of their titles. I'm surprisede comics haven't adopted the season or volume format yet. Every year they would get a new #1 and it would be less confusing for those looking to jump on. I pity new readers trying to jump on comics now when comics like Uncanny X-Men have had three #1s in five years.

13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I've hated the whole "relaunch" phase from day 1, especially now that companies seem to do it every fifteen issues. Welp, at least this probably isn't a full-fledged reboot.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Magmaster12

Obviously they will start there renumberings with issue 52 maybe finally cancel Catwoman in the process.

15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Same, but at least I get it.

DC's in a bit of a bind because DCYou wasn't successful and they're losing a lot of market share from Marvel in no small part because of Star Wars and Secret Wars, so a big line-wide relaunch with a lot of #1's is bound to draw some attention, especially with "Rebirth" being used as the main description of it given the success of Green Lantern: Rebirth and, to a lesser extent, Flash: Rebirth.

Marvel's also proved that relaunches get a lot of attention, even if the constant #1's are starting to lose their effect and luster. Can't hurt DC to try though :shrug:.
    I've heard Tierie's recent run has actually been pretty good, and the art looks spectacular :).

16. Magmaster12

Yes but it's consistently been DC's worst selling title which can get pretty annoying when better titles selling just as poorly are getting cancelled even quicker.

17. rggkjg1

If every title after issue 52 will be a new volume with a #1 issue, I'd like to see the original numbering continued on with the new numbering - a similar format like the JMS/Romita Jr Amazing Spider-Man and Mark Waid Fantastic Four.

18. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

If this is true, I would like to see them go all in - conpletely restart the universe, along the lines of an Ultimate DC, not half ass it like the new 52 or leave things too loose like the Marvel Now relaunches.

I realise this won't happen, but it would be nice and refreshing for another relaunch.

Hasn't history proved that new #1s are essentially a short term fix?

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. hobbyfan

I'm with you there, Stu, but let's remember, too, that the bottom line obsession of corporate America precludes common sense from the equation.

20. hobbyfan

Comic Book Resources just dropped a report on this matter. This also turned up on Yahoo, from whence I pulled the text. Enjoy:
    =====================================
    Following an initial wave of rumors as well as mysterious tweets from high-profile DC creators, a second wave of rumors regarding DC's upcoming "Rebirth" event have arrivedonline. Bleeding Cool has shared the rumors, cited from various unnamed sources, that see the entire DC superhero comics line potentially reborn this June. CBR News has reached out to DC Comics for comment, but has not received a response as of publication of this article.

It has not been clarified if "Rebirth" is a hard, "New 52"-style continuity reboot. The rumored changes coming to the DC Universe this summer, possibly following issues #52 of the titles still standing from the original "New 52" launch, are:

• Every relaunched book in the "Rebirth" might receive a "Rebirth" issue in June ahead of a new #1 issue. It's rumored that biweekly books, possibly including "Batman," will actually release their new #1 in June following the "Rebirth" issue.
    • While it hasn't been "locked down," rumors suggest that Tom King ("Grayson," "Vision") will take over writing duties on the biweekly "Batman." It's been rumored that current "Batman" writer Scott Snyder will take over "Detective Comics," which is said to remain monthly.
    • According to an unnamed source, seven titles will be canceled before "Rebirth." The rumor says that "Batman/Superman," "Superman/Wonder Woman," "Grayson," "Starfire," "Black Canary," "Midnighter" and "Doctor Fate" may end before "Rebirth."
    • Additionally, other sources have claimed that some of those solo heroes will be moved to headline other books -- like Starfire in "Titans," Black Canary in "Birds of Prey" and Grayson returning to "Nightwing."
    • With the end of "Batman/Superman" and "Superman/Wonder Woman," it's rumored that a new series starring all three heroes, titled "Trinity," will debut sometime after the initial "Rebirth." The biweekly "Trinity" will star Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman.

• A number of new books are rumored to launch as part of "Rebirth," including: "The Super Man," "Man of Steel," "New Green Lantern" and "Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps."
    • Peter Tomasi is rumored to be the new "Superman" writer. The book is mentioned as being bi-monthly as opposed to bi-weekly like "Batman," but considering the dual meaning of "bi-monthly," it's possible that "Superman" will be on an every-other-week schedule like "Batman."
    • A new "Justice Society of America" book is rumored to arrive as part of "Rebirth," starring what's described as a team of young heroes brought forward in time, where they will fight alongside the JLA.
    • In addition to a new "Titans," series, it's rumored that there will also be a "Teen Titans" series, which will feature Damian Wayne in the lead as Robin.
    • Another rumor states that one of the integral ideas of "Rebirth" depends on something in the upcoming "Batman v Superman" film -- but that plot point is still a secret to both the editors and creators working on the new line.
    "Rebirth" is rumored to arrive in June.
    ===========================
    Judge for yourselves, kids. The May solicitations will go live in about 2 weeks.