1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"DC Comics: The New 52" General News and Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Wonder Woman, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

Originally I was only going to stick with just one Batman title, too, but in the end I may wind up expanding to four, making my pull list consist of six titles: Justice League, Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Batman and Robin, and Batman: The Dark Knight.
    I'll give each of those titles until issue #2, before deciding whether I want to keep it or not.

I don't know if I'd call it a demotion, but whether it was DC's decision or not, Finch sounds like he'd rather step down as a writer and focus on just art anyway. Finch wanted to take a shot at being both a writer and an artist, but based on the interviews I've seen, he realized after he took it on that it really wasn't for him and very difficult to do both. He likes the idea of coming up with stories, but writing is tough, especially on a monthly book, and it took a lot of time away from his drawing, so he decided to get back to the art and work in collaboration with a more experienced writer. And that's why Paul Jenkins is stepping in.

2. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Actually, there is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_Year_Three

I'm not saying that this is necessarily canon anymore, but it might still be possible that Robin came around at Year 3.

3. Bat-Fan Beyond

Yes, but like you said, it may not be canon anymore.

Personally, I would really like it if Year 3 was still the point in which the first Robin appeared, because that would give Dick at least a couple of more years in the role before Jason came along, but the whole reason I suggest that Dick may not have come into play until Year 5 is because it's been said that Batman's existence is not revealed to the public until then, and I find it hard to believe that Batman would be able to stay that much in the shadows as an "urban legend" for so long with a colorful sidekick at his side. If that were the case, then people would know of Robin first.

4. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

5. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

That's an awfully lifeless, stiff, awkward, very pose-like pose and expression for Aquaman. And Green Lantern looks like he ate some bad chili.

6. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

Congratulations to Justice League #1 and it's creative team on making it the top selling book of 2011, it was a fun read with fantastic art and a great way to kick off the new universe for DC comics.

I'm sure Batman #1 or Superman #1 could surpass it in sales, but a part of me thinks that it won't happen and I'm not sure if I would want it to since JL#1 was hyped so darn much and was actually a really fun book (in my opinion).

Nice covers for the upcoming books as well, and yes, I like the Aquaman cover.

7. Bat-Fan Beyond

Jim Lee can do no wrong, although I don't understand why Aquaman has his trident chained to his belt like a biker's wallet.

That Action Comics cover looks pretty cool. But rather than it reminding me of Fleischer's Superman, it's reminding me of Fleischer's Popeye. It must be the muscular bare forearms.

8. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

Indeed. Maybe Superman was still Superboy in this reality, but only as a Legionnaire (like in the recent re-insertion of Superboy into Superman's backstory)? That'd give him some experience without, apparently, forcing Batman to actually change or concede to this reboot in much of any way...

Which is my other problem with this. Yes, Batman sells, yes, he seems to be DC's favorite character these days, and yes, I cynically half-suspect his fans would probably buy a book of him just reading the phone book for six issues. But don't see why that requires he *never* gets rebooted wholesale in the same way Superman, etc. do... as noted above, Batman's backstory in the DCNU already seems confusing to old fans and new ones.

9. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

You said it yourself, it's because he sells. That's the same reason why Green Lantern's history was also able to emerge from "The New 52" unscathed. Besides if they rebooted Batman, they have to get rid of Damien Wayne, who's a really popular character right now and Gran Morrison's recent Batman run which has been critically acclaimed. Whereas Superman hasn't had any new popular characters in a while, and just had a critically panned set of storylines ("Grounded" and the whole "New Krypton" thing).

10. Shawn Hopkins

The crazy thing about Batman is how much you have to compress his history if you want him to have five effectively public years and let him keep his continuity. The Clench, Cataclysm and No Man's Land become a bad couple of months. He was paralyzed for a week or two. The Robins all grew in a tube. Some of this stuff was way too high profile and public, you can't put it into an "urban legend" period. The "urban legend" period is boring, because he can't have any public fights and he can't have most of his colorful, publicity-loving rogues who are obviously real as hell and twice as scary. He's just slinking in the shadows and hitting burglars and maybe occasionally having to secretly stop Ras.

Not true. The new Supergirl was pretty popular.

11. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

Thus she has a book in "The New 52". But my overall point was is that both the Batman and Green Lantern franchises have been much more popular than the Superman one, to the point where secondary titles like Green Lantern Corps outsold Superman on a regular basis.

12. Shawn Hopkins

Yes, but there's no need to exaggerate things to make your point. Superman has indeed had popular recent characters and very popular recent storylines like All Star Superman. He doesn't deserve to be put in a corner and made secondary because of sales hype. Also, it's frankly incredibly short-sighted to give short shrift to their historically most popular and most important character just because he sold a little less than Batman in what might be the worst year in superhero comics history, creatively and financially.

That's what you seem to be defending, anyway. If they were doing it for that reason, they would be wrong. I don't think they are, I think they're doing it because Batman and Green Lantern are in the middle of major storylines and they were too unsure of themselves to cut those storylines off or too impatient to wait until they finish, so they just give us this crazy quilt of partial reboots.

13. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

All-Star Superman isn't the same as the monthly Superman title, therefore I doubt it had much an impact on DC's decision to reboot Superman, aside of course from putting Grant Morrison on Action. In the last five years, has there been any memorable Superman stories in Superman that are comparable to what Morrison has done with Batman and Geoff Johns has done with GL?

Also, I don't think I was exaggerating anything. Both of Green Lantern's secondary titles were outselling Superman, as well as Batman and Robin, Batman Inc, Batman, Batman: The Dark Knight and occasionally Detective Comics. So if anything you're minimizing how much more comics GL & Bats sold.

and I don't think they're making Superman secondary or boxing him in a corner. They got Grant Morrison, one of the biggest names in the comic-book industry to write Action, and George Perez, who's also a pretty big name to handle Superman.

Another poster asked why Batman & GL, DC's most successful comics right now were hardly getting effected by the reboot, so I was just explaining why I think that was, I'm not saying it's necessarily a good reason. And, a lot of books were in the middle of major storylines, but that didn't stop them from getting rebooted.

14. Bat-Fan Beyond

Superman has had problems for years. Years! I'm not saying that there haven't been some great Superman stories here and there, but for the most part the franchise hasn't been as consistently successful as Batman's has since the Crisis on the Infinite Earths reboot, nor Green Lantern's since Geoff Johns' GL: Rebirth. You know there's a problem when DC feels the need to try to reboot Superman's origin every so many years (Man of Steel, Birthright, Secret Origin) and Batman has only had one origin story(Year One).

The bottom line is that Superman should be #1, even over Batman, and he's not even close behind, so he really has been in need of a real overhaul for a while now. DC realize this, but sometimes they just don't know what to do without risking the faithful fanbase that the character does have already. Which is why he's just been kind of treading the waters of medocrity for so long. But now is DC's chance. They have the movie coming out and a complete universe facelift, so they're making greater changes to the character to renew greater interest in him -- That doesn't necessarily mean he will be any greater as a character though. I'm not sure Morrison's Action Comics is going to stick anymore than any other Superman origin has, but obviously it's got as much going for it as a reboot as Byrn's Man of Steel did in the 80's. So far I wasn't too impressed with the first issue, but hopefully it will evolve into a Superman everyone can accept and enjoy for a long time.

In the end, Batman and Green Lantern didn't need a reboot, but Superman did. Unfortunately, there are going to be a lot of conflicts in continuity, unless DC maps out exactly what events the new history of the DC Universe consists of (what happened in the past 10 years or so) and makes it understandable to everyone following the books. I would really like to see a new History of The DC Universe guidebook published, much like the one they did with Marv Wolfman after Crisis of the Infinite Earths, explaining it all with a solid list of events that have carried over from the previous DC continuity and a timeline illustrating when they happened within the new continuity.

#494 Bat-Fan Beyond, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2011
  15. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

World Balloon has the cover for Green Lantern #4. It seems DC has stopped releasing the covers/solicits for each family of books together, and is just gonna put out the biggest ones first.

ETA: Newsarama has the cover for Deathstroke #4 as well as interview with the writer, Kyle Higgins who confirms among other things that Rose and Wintergreen won't be appearing. I think it's interesting that Rose did make it into "The New 52", but'll actually be associated with Superboy and not Deathstroke. I wonder if they're even still related.

#495 suss2it, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2011
  16. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

17. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

I'm also surprised Detective isn't going in for another printing. On the Comixology app it's been consistently #1, so I figured it'd be doing really well physically as well.

And DC put up the covers for Birds of Prey #4 and Batgirl #4 on their website. So it looks like Babs'll be hanging out with the Birds of Prey for a while. While I do like crossovers, I was hoping that DC would skip those for at least the first year to let all the titles establish themselves.

18. Shawn Hopkins

So I guess in the DCnu Amanda Waller is a skinny sexpot with perky nipples. That's great. One of the most visually unique characters in comics just got "generic superhero comic female body type." I guess it makes her easier to draw for lazy artists. People pooh-poohed me when I said that I was disappointed in casting Angela Bassett for it in the horrific cinematic abomination they called Green Lantern, but now it's taken over the comics.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09...ner-younger-amanda-waller-in-suicide-squad-1/

This gets rid of Amanda Waller's intriguing history, too, by making her successful when she was younger instead of a self-made older woman who worked her way into a position of power after crime wiped out most of her family.

Some cool pics and arguments for the real Amanda Waller here. This goes back several page, you need to see it all to at least see the Wall kick Granny Goodness's ass.

http://ealperin.tumblr.com/

#498 Shawn Hopkins, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2011
  19. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

When I read the new Suicide Squad yesterday and that was the one thing that really bugged me. While I do applaud DC for more racial diversity, genre and some sexual diversity (Batwoman, Midnighter, Apollo and possibly more) this and the Oracle fiasco makes me feel that DC is taking 3 steps forward but 2 steps back.

20. Shawn Hopkins

She also behaves in a way unbecoming of the Wall. Waller would do whatever is needed to get the job done, but :

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.