1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"DC Comics: The New 52" General News and Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Wonder Woman, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I don't suppose anyone knows when JL #1 would be available digitally tomorrow and/or when DC generally updates content on Wednesdays? Probably not midnight, I'm guessing. Yep, I'm gonna give that issue a shot.

2. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

It'll be available @ 2pm. But usually Comixology updates their store between 10-12pm.

3. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

It was pandemonium at my local comic book shop with 50-60 people forming a line to get in around 6am for when the store opened at 7am, free stuff was handed out and free Dunkin Donuts coffee and food was supplied by the store, which was nice of them. The owner said he expected to sell between 100-200 copies of Justice League #1 as well as other new DC titles later in the month, which is amazing and makes me think that this relaunch could be bigger than anyone had expected, or at least I hope it will be.

It was a fun morning to say the least and I can't wait to do it again next week for the 2nd week of the relaunch, it's certainly going to be a fun month!

4. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

It really looks like this New 52 is turning into a big hit for DC Comics. Over the last few days Bleeding Cool has reported on a bunch of comics that need to go back for second printings - even third printings for Justice League #1!

Hawk & Dove #1, Justice League International #1 and Batman & Robin #1 are all getting second prints:
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/02/hawk-and-dove-1-jli-1-and-batman-and-robin-1-sell-out/

Action Comics #1 and Batgirl #1 are also getting new printings:
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09...et-second-prints-justice-league-1-gets-third/

It's five of the books so far but I have a feeling that a lot more will be selling out before the month is over. I'm really glad this looks to be a hit. Both DC and the comic market really needed this.

5. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

Hawk & Dove getting a second printing is the only one out of those that surprised me. Didn't think that one would be a hit, but either way I'm glad that this is successful for DC, hopefully they can keep this momentum going.

6. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

7. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

Kyle Higgins released two character design pics for Nightwing, done by Cully Hamner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The red's okay, but I would've preferred if he kept the blue. Damian, Tim and Jason all have red red as a primary colour in their designs, so I guess Nightwing is just trying to fit in, but it just doesn't seem to suit him.

8. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

The red eyes were a bad choice to keep as it makes him look more like a villain. I think it's also one of the things DC decided to change at the last minute after fans complained about it.

I like Cully Hamner's costume, even with the red, but some of the covers make it look bad. The ones with the massive red symbol that covers a third of his body are horrible.

9. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

I've never been a fan of Nightwing, I much preferred Dick Grayson as Robin (or even Batman) but I could never get into the character of Nightwing or his design, but a small piece of me likes the red over the light blue that he had before. I will still probably be passing on Nightwing as a part of the new 52 aside from the first issue, I'll give it a try, but I can't see myself falling in love with a character that I've never cared for previously.

10. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

i dont think i have much to say for their respective talkbacks, so i'll discuss my first batch of the new 52 here (justice league, detective comics, action comics, and batgirl).

i felt a bit "underwhelmed" with all 4 of those comics. i wasnt blown away, but i also wasnt let down. if i give any of the new 52 comics i get any praise, it will be based on the reputation of the people writing or drawing the books from their past work and not the current title they are doing.

my biggest complaint/problem came in batgirl when it was revealed that the killing joke is still part of the continuity. i really wish/hope we get a "history of the DCnU". i think i would enjoy the titles more if i knew exactly what is still part of continuity and what isnt.

11. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

I think you'd enjoy the stories more if you focused more on them and less on what is or isn't continuity. Besides I think the way that Simone is incorporating The Killing Joke is really working for the book. As for continuity, just don't count anything that you don't on page.

12. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

I agree with you there. It seems DC are just going to pick and choose whatever they want to stick as continuity from the previous DC Universe and applying it on a whim as the New DC Universe develops. I can understand being selective and carrying over certain key storylines, especially with Batman, while rebooting other characters, like Superman and the origin of the Justice League, but it should have been mapped out more thoroughly ahead of time, so that people have a better understanding of it all. The continuity kinks are already starting to show and even writers like Scott Snyder can't fully explain it.

So far almost all the new 52 titles are set in the present, with a few exceptions like the Justice League, whose origin takes place 5 years in the past, and Action Comics, which shows Superman at his earliest almost 6 years in the past.

Now supposedly Batman has been around as an urban legend for about 5 years prior to the formation of the Justice League, which means he's actually been around for 10 years prior to his newly relaunched titles Batman, Detective Comics, The Dark Knight, Batman and Robin, etc...

So in 10 years we've had Dick, Jason, Tim, and Damian each as Robin at one point or another; But if Damian is 10 years old, that would mean he would have had to have been either conceived before or early soon after Bruce first became Batman, right? And in that 10 years, we've also had major events like Year One, The Killing Joke, A Death In The Family, possibly Knightfall, Hush, Under The Red Hood, almost everything from Morrison, including Batman R.I.P. and Batman Inc., and probably a lot more stories inbetween, still being considered canon. So another question is which past continuity event takes place around the five year mark when Batman also becomes widely known to the public and a member of Justice League? I would think it would have to be around the same time Dick becomes the first Robin -- But then that would mean that we've actually had 4 Robins in only 5 years! And that would also mean that Batgirl and every event I listed above, from The Killing Joke on, all took place within only 5 years!

How is that even possible!?

Here goes a very simplified timline from Gotham Knights Online that will help. Just fill in the blanks as you see fit -- That's what DC are doing.

[​IMG]

http://www.gothamknightsonline.com/?p=21368

13. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

I laugh at DC's attempt to keep everything that's occured in the last 40 to 50 years confined to the last 10 years (within the last 5 years if you're not Batman)! Leaving out the Golden Age and the 1950's, your "canon" DC material should include everything from the mid to late 60's onward if your Batman and Superman, or from the last 50's and early 60's if you're Flash, Green Lantern, and the Justice League.

Is DC actually stating it's been just Ten Years since Batman: Year One? And 5 years since Superman debuted? They could do themselves a lot more credibility if they would just say it's been 15 to 20 years since they debuted. A Batman who is in his late 30's or early 40's really isn't the end of the world.

The use of Crisis on Infinite Earths in that image kind of sums it up though, doesn't it?

14. Bat-Fan Beyond

I'm not sure you're fully understanding it. I'll try my best to explain it again, but even I don't have great grasp of it. I don't think DC really does either, for that matter.

But anyway, here it goes.... DC's entire past continuity is not being squeezed into a new continuity of only 10 years. The past continuity is gone almost entirely, with a few exceptions. Those exceptions mostly consist of the Batman and Green Lantern history. Certain milestone events starting with Batman: Year One will remain intact for most of Batman's new continuity up to the present DCnU titles. What selective events in between those two points in Batman's history is not fully known yet, but obviously The Killing Joke, which involves Batgirl, and anything pertaining to major events involving Jason Todd are now part of this new DCnU canon. Also, it seems that everything Grant Morrison has done with Batman is also being retained, just as everything Geoff Johns has done with Green Lantern (possibly excluding Rebirth).

Batman's history is being broken into two eras:

Era 1 is the first five years in which he is only viewed as an "urban legend" and not entirely known to the general public, and Era 2 is the second five year period after The Justice League forms and his existence is publicly revealed. At what points in those 10 years do events from previous continuity now fall into this new canon? No one knows for sure. But I'm guessing the first Robin (Dick) didn't come along until about the time the public became aware of Batman. Which would mean that all of of the events from The Killing Joke on that are being carried over from the previous continuity actually all took place in only 5 years time! Which is also the same amount of time that Superman and The Justice League have existed, but with a whole new blank history yet to be written.

Now, what makes this even more difficult to believe is that the whole recent history of the Green Lantern, as wriitten by Geoff Johns, all still exists, but within only a five year period as well.

So the new DC timeline starting 10 years back would look something like this:

Year 1...
    -
    Bruce Wayne becomes Batman, and begins to operate secretly without any proof of his existence. He's deemed to only be an "urban legend" by the public. (as shown in Batman: Year One)

Year 2...

Year 3...
    Year 4...

Year 5...
    -Clark Kent becomes Superman (as shown in Action Comics)
    -Hal Jordan becomes Green Lantern (as shown in Green Lantern: Secret Origin)
    -The Justice League forms (as shown in the first arc of Justice League).
    -Batman's existence becomes publicly known.

Year 6...
    Year 7...
    Year 8...
    Year 9...

Year 10...

-The current starting point for most of the New DC comic series.
    -Sinestro becomes Green Lantern (as shown in Green Lantern #1)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, just looking at Batman's history that is carrying over into the new continuity, somewhere in those 10 years, maybe even only within the last 5 years, Dick became Robin, Barbara became Batgirl, Dick became Nightwing, Jason became Robin, Barbara got shot, Jason got killed, Tim became Robin, Barbara became Oracle, Jason got resurrected and became the Red Hood, Bruce got killed/misplaced in time, Dick became Batman, Damian became Robin, Tim became Red Robin, Bruce came back and became Batman again, etc. etc.....

Green Lantern's history is just as condensed in 5 years (But don't ask me to list all those major events, because I'm not that familar with them).

Superman and Justice League, as well as everyone else, seems to have a totally new clean slate and plenty of room for DC to make up new events to fill their histories.

#474 Bat-Fan Beyond, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2011
  15. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

how does superman make his first appearance in year 5 when batman: year one is year 1? doesnt alfred specifically mention "that fellow in metropolis" in batman: year one?

if dc's main goal was to avoid confusion with this reboot/relaunch/whatever you want to call it, they're doing a bad job achieving that goal. the new 52 seems like it could possibly be the most convoluted universe/continuity dc has ever done. or maybe it just seems that way because we're trying to map it out. the only reason i'm trying to map it out is because of the killing joke being referenced in batgirl. i wouldnt have bothered if it wasnt part of the story.

16. Bat-Fan Beyond

It's been a while since I read Year One, but I'm sure if that's in there, it'll be easily dismissed by DC as a retcon to be ignored, much like Selina as a prostitute has been. I'm sure we're going to have plenty more continuity errors and inconsistencies as this moves forward.

17. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

At one point late in Batman: Year One, Alfred says something like, "I suppose you'll take up flying next, like that fellow from Metropolis." There's also a line where Jim Gordon's wife is trying to give him a massage and says, "Don't have to go to Metropolis to find a man of steel." They're both throwaway lines that can be ignored pretty easily, though.

If I do have a problem with stuff like this, it's just that this is more indication (as if any was needed) that this is not really a "reboot" of the DCU in the same way that the books after the 1980's Crisis was. While I generally agree that "continuity" is a bugaboo invoked too often by people who don't want to get into American superhero books, I also still think this solution DC has come up with is going to cheese off more people than it makes happy. It seems like the worst of both worlds: your existing fanbase (and possibly even some of your creators) gets confused and upset because they don't know what's "real" any more and your new customers don't know what the hell anybody is talking about.

Anyway, this review of Justice League #1 succinctly sums up my feelings about this relaunch:

18. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Batman having five years more experience than Superman doesn't work for me. I'm fine with them both operating in secret for a while, but there needs to be relative parity of experience.

19. Bat-Fan Beyond

I agree. And if my own theory is correct and Dick Grayson doesn't come along until about the Year 5 mark, then it really is unnecessary for Batman to even have that five year lead on Superman, because most of the essential events that should carry over from previous DC continuity to the new DC continuity don't take place until after Dick comes onto the scene.

I mean, other than Year One, there doesn't seem to be too many stories of Batman in his early days, prior to having a Robin, that are really essential to canon. It's a great period to explore early Batman solo stories, but hardly anything comes to mind that needs to be kept. Maybe The Long Halloween, but that's always been in question whether it was canon or not.

20. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

DC is having another 101 Batman sale on Comixology and the free comic "Batman-101" has a previews for the following #1s; Batman, Batman: The Dark Knight, Batman and Robin, Nightwing, Catwoman, & Batwoman as well as Batwing, Detective Comics & Batgirl, which are already out.

Really like the art from all the previews. Daniel and Finch especially. Though I'm not picking up either of their books since I just wanna stick to one Batman monthly. Also, it seems Finch has been demoted from writer to just co-plotter on Dark Knight, for those reading the book, hopefully that'll keep it on schedule.

Batwing also looks pretty good, and I've read good things about it, but I'll be waiting a month to get it for $2 digitally. The art for Batwoman looks great, love the way her hair and cape are drawn. Can't wait to read the whole thing. I also wish that Nightwing would've stuck with the blue, since that way he and Batwoman wouldn't have the same colour scheme, and therefore each would feel more unique.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.