1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"DC Comics: The New 52" General News and Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Wonder Woman, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Bleeding Cool has put up the first of what is apparently a bit set of reports about the DC Universe post-Flashpoint. Here's the first one:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/31/flashpost-the-issue-one-renumbering-of-the-dc-universe/

But is this a full relaunch? Maybe just a temporary #1 (like with Zero Hour's #0). This could get really interesting...

Mod Note: Thread merged with "DC Comics Confirms Full Relaunch of DC Universe" Thread!

2. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

So even titles like Batman Inc. are gonna be restarted, even though as of right now it's only on issue #6? That would be very stupid.

3. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

#4 Dreyfus, May 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2011
  4. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

DC Comics Confirms Full Relaunch of DC Universe

On Wednesday, August 31st, DC Comics will launch a historic renumbering of the entire DC Universe line of comic books. USA Today has the article, and the cover art to Justice League #1, here.

Note some of the new costumes in the preview art.

A statement is also available at the DC Comics official blog The Source.

Discuss!

5. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

Hopefully Jim Lee can keep a monthly schedule, since his art is gorgeous. I also think Geoff is great writer for Justice League, since I think he's a really good team writer.

Not sure how I feel about this in general though. I mentioned my concerns for some of the newer characters in another thread, but I'm also concerned for stuff like Secret Six.

Definitely excited about the titles being released digitally on the same day as print though.

Also it looks like Hal's ring is for some reason on his left hand, and they finally got rid of Supes' trunks.

6. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

7. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

I didn't see the need to make a new thread since we could have changed the name of the thread that was already discussing it, but okay....

Anyhow, like I've been saying all along I am super pumped up for this and I cannot wait to see DC's stock rise due to new readership. This is going to be a way for the entire universe to become accessible and open to new readers via single issues and TPB, DC did the right thing here and now they just need to make the stories good.

8. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Hopefully they don't screw this up by not collecting each series into real GNs. :p

9. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Spider-Man had already started up a thread, James, but the title for your thread has a little bit more prominent of a headline, so we'll go with that (since it's now out in the open, it's no longer a secret on DC's part).

Thus, threads merged.

10. Manga4life

Who say's Batman Inc is going to be a part of the relaunch? You never know, certain titles may possibly not carry over and new titles could be born because of this re-launch.

11. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

DC is pretty good about reprints. It's whether or not they can actually bring in new readers that concerns me.

12. Manga4life

A lot of people think this is just another "Zero Hour" or "Infinite Crisis", but it isn't. DC is actually altering origins, costumes, ages, and other key factors and is basically starting from scratch.

13. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

That's a possibility, but I don't think they'd cancel Batman Inc. right in the middle of it's story, but then again I didn't think a universe wide reboot was gonna happen either.

14. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

DC Comics has released the following letter to comic retailers worldwide:

15. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

The current mainstream universe is still 'New Earth', right? They can call the new mainstream Earth-1 and keep go back to New Earth in whenever they want.

16. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

I think you're mixing this up with the multiverse Earths, which exist within the overall continuity. That continuity is what is being revamped, so the Earth-1 idea wouldn't necessarily work. One theory that might explain the changes is that whatever happens in Flashpoint results in the formation of an "altered universe". How well that would be received by new readers, I don't know.

17. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

It's funny, at the end of that USA Today link, the first post is some guy saying: "well with this i think this is the final nail in the coffin of my comic collecting days" So much for everyone being on board for this...:sweat:

But yeah, this is awesome news. I'm more excited about the same day digital/print release, as that's a truly bold step, whereas the revisiting of a new #1 issue has been done before (though never on this grand of a scale).

From that USA Today article:

As a Marvel fan (and employee) I take pride that we've held the trophy for that long, but if there was ever a chance for DC to close the gap, this is it. So good for the competition. As I'm only a casual DC fan, I'm not certain it'll increase my own particular interest in trying out new titles, but it depends on the creative teams on board these titles. There may be a book that catches my eye.

All this discussion has been in regards to it's superhero titles, but I'm left wondering what'll hapened to my favorites: "Jonah Hex" and "Scalped"?!?

18. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I have to say...I am really excited about this! This is a bold move! They're relaunching their universe, updating costumes (which has me very happy, especially with our glimpse of the new Superman costume ditching the red undies), and they're going day-to-date with digital books for all their titles. DC Comics is definitely putting everything out on the table here and they have me. I'm down for this. I won't get all of the new #1s but I have a feeling I'll be picking up a lot more books come September then what I was originally planning on.

19. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

That's a good question, DC emphasizes that they're renumbering all their Superhero titles, so I'm guessing that Jonah Hex will be safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.