1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Comics Solicitations - May 2012

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Comics.Bot, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Comics.Bot

Comics.Bot Comic Posting Robot
    Administrator

2. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes PBS: We rock harder than MTV

What I'll be buying:
    Action Comics #9
    Superman Family Adventures #1
    Green Lantern: The Animated Series #2

What I might buy:
    None.

Between the various cancellations/books dropped, looks like my DC reading's back to where it was pre-DCNU (largely ignoring the DCU-proper, reading the reprints and Johnny DC stuff). More money for Archie/Marvel/etc., I guess...

3. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

EARTH TWO #1
    BATMAN, INCORPORATED #1
    JUSTICE LEAGUE #9
    WONDER WOMAN #9
    ACTION COMICS #9
    SUPERMAN #9
    SUPERGIRL #9
    BATMAN #9
    BATMAN ANNUAL #1
    DETECTIVE COMICS #9
    BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT #9
    BATGIRL #9
    BATMAN: EARTH ONE HC
    SMALLVILLE SEASON 11 #1
    BATMAN BEYOND UNLIMITED #4

is "night of the owls" a crossover with the other bat titles or are they just tie ins that i dont really need to read for the main story? regardless, this is one crossover i'm not getting suckered into. i have been indifferent about batman since issue 1 and have no interest to get more information/background on the court of owls.

i wish dc put out some more volumes of neal adams illustrates the dc universe before they reprinted the batman stuff in softcover. at least more people will now get to see why frank robbins' batman stories (neal adams vol 2) were better than dennis o'neil's at that time period. it's nice to see kryptonite nevermore as a trade as well. i haven't bought the superman vs muhammad ali hardcover yet, i wonder if that will "randomly" appear as a trade soon.

any way i can convince you to put smallville season 11 on your might buy list?

4. VictoryStar

VictoryStar "Here is your first present~"

You know, you're the first person I met who's been reading Scott Snyder's Batman and not being completely in love with everything about it :p. Anyways to answer your question Mr. Snyder said you don't have to read any of the crossovers (or even Batman if you're not a fan of it) to understand the story. They're all just fitting into the theme of the attack by the owls.

That being said I have only one thing to say about my pull list this month : It's going to be massive.

EARTH TWO #1
    BATMAN, INCORPORATED #1
    JUSTICE LEAGUE #9
    WONDER WOMAN #9
    ACTION COMICS #9
    BATMAN #9
    BATMAN ANNUAL #1
    BATMAN AND ROBIN #9
    DETECTIVE COMICS #9
    RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #9 - Find it heartwarming that Jason is going to help with the Owl infestation in Gotham despite all he and Bruce have been through together. Seems they really do care about each other still after all
    TEEN TITANS #9
    TEEN TITANS ANNUAL #1
    THE RAVAGERS #1
    GRIFTER #9
    ANIMAL MAN #9
    ANIMAL MAN ANNUAL #1
    DAIL H #1
    NIGHTWING #1
    WORLD'S FINEST #1
    BATMAN: EARTH ONE HC
    SMALLVILLE SEASON 11 #1 - Going to get this for my dad really, he's a huge fan of the show.

Bring on the owls!

#4 VictoryStar, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2012
  5. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

Let's see, DC has a bunch of tie-ins to Night of Owls, Animal Man has Conmstantine, Blue Beetle and New Guardians hook-up for a crossover, Frankenstein is on the hunt for Animal Man, JLI and Firestorm go for a crossover, The Culling that affects the YJ books and Superboy, and Suicide Squad and Resurrection Man crossover. With the AvX stuff and New Mutants crossing over with Journey Into Mystery in May as well, this is a crossover bonanza with bleeding wallets.

BUYING
    -Worlds' Finest #1
    -Red Lanterns #9
    -Green Lantern #9
    -Red Hood #9
    -Supergirl #9
    -Green Lantern: New Guardians #9

MAYBE?
    -Mister Terrific: Mind Games TPB: Some of it is the interest in what Power Girl is doing in that.
    -Superman Family Adventures #1: Buy status will be determined by my impressions from Free Comic Book Day.
    -Earth 2 #1: money issues.
    -Blue Beetle #9: only "event" from DC I'll bite into this month is the GLNG/BB crossover.
    -GI Combat #1: gotta support the non-superhero title. Also, DINOSAURS.

6. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes PBS: We rock harder than MTV

Since I wasn't a "Smallville" fan, that'd be "no," sorry. :)

7. Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama Hawkguy
    Staff Member Moderator

I've decided to clean house a bit. There's a few books that I've been maintaining a "wait and see if it improves" felling about, and I'm following through. Six issues is enough to get a good running go with a book, and since the feeling's still there (and the upcoming solicits don't look much better), they're gone. Dropping: Superman, Green Arrow, DC Universe Presents and Grifter.

Anyway...

Getting
    -Justice League #9
    -Aquaman #9
    : It's getting better. Hope the trend continues.
    -The Flash #9
    -Superboy #9
    : Ugh. Tie-ins. Dangit.
    -Supergirl #9
    -Batman #9
    -Batman Annual #1
    : Pretty interested to see Snyder's take on Mr. Freeze.
    -Batgirl #9: Speaking of "Ugh. Tie-ins. Dangit."
    -Nightwing #9
    -Catwoman #9
    -All-Star Western #9
    : Even this can't avoid that "Owls" stuff?
    -Batman: Earth One HC: The Superman one was a huge disappointment. Hopefully this will be better.
    -Superman Family Adventures #1: Hopefully it comes somewhat close to the awesomeness that was Tiny Titans.

May Get/Not Getting But Worth Note
    -Earth Two #1: Still on the fence. The fact that they specifically mention GL and Flash gives me hope, though.
    -Dial H #1: Sounds kind of fun. I may give it a go.
    -Action Comics #9: I guess this is DC's "Spider-Man/Obama cover" take.
    -Green Lantern Corps #9: Man, John Stewart just can't stop killing people, can he?

8. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

My comments:

- Well, that's interesting. China Mieville writing a Dial H for Hero title. We'll see how long that lasts.

- Did anyone else look at the cover to Nightwing #9 and think, "What, they're already bringing Nite Owl into the DCU?"

- The last DMZ collection is the only pre-order from DC this month, which is fine by me. Wallet could use a break.

9. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Been a while since I've participated in one of these thread. The reason is that I'm reading 95% Marvel stuff these days, but there are still some things that catch my eye from DC. For instance, for these May solicitations, I'm interested in:

Night Force TPB: Marv Wolfman's sequel to his work on "Tomb of Dracula" at Marvel. A classic series!

Showcase Presents: Showcase Vol. 1: Some classic Silver Age goodness!

Scalped #59: Can't believe it's coming to an end soon. I need to get caught up on reading this awesome Vertigo series!!

Speaking of Vertigo series, I'm tempted by Saucer Country. It's written by Paul Cornell, and it's "alien abduction" spookiness, so might be worth checking out.