1. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

DC Comics Solicitations - June 2013

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Comics.Bot, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Comics.Bot

Comics.Bot Comic Posting Robot
    Administrator

2. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #1
    BATMAN/SUPERMAN #1
    JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #5
    JUSTICE LEAGUE #21
    WONDER WOMAN #21
    EARTH 2 #13
    ACTION COMICS #21
    SUPERMAN #21
    SUPERGIRL #21
    BATMAN, INCORPORATED #12
    BATMAN #21
    BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT #21
    DETECTIVE COMICS #21
    BATGIRL #21
    ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #2
    BATMAN BEYOND UNLIMITED #17
    LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT #9
    SMALLVILLE SEASON 11 #14

Alrighty, now I'm getting somewhere regarding Scott Snyder on Batman. I can definitely get into this story arc. I'm hoping for at least a few retcons from Batman: Year One. I still dont get how/why the slate is wiped clean for everyone else in the New 52, but Batman was exempt.

Now on to bigger and more imporant things. What is the deal with the Sandman Omnibus hardcover? Are the Absolute Editions getting phased out? And why should someone by this new hardcover over an Absolute Edition? I guess you'll be saving 50 bucks since you'd pay 200 (new) for both Absolute Editions that are collected this one hardcover. If this new hardcover is similar to the Marvel Omnibus', I kind of prefer the Absolute Edition format. The Marvel Omnibus' are too "bulky" for me and the Absolute Editions make up for their "bulkyness" by presenting the material in larger than average hardcover or trade format.

3. Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama Hawkguy
    Staff Member Moderator

Getting
    -Superman Unchained #1: On for the first issue at least due to the creative team, horrible title or no.
    -Justice League of America #5: 5 issues in and we already have a death. Joy.
    -Justice League #21: All Captain Marvel? Sweet!
    -Aquaman #21
    -The Flash #21
    -Batman #21: I'd be upset at yet another origin story, but with as much inconsistency as there has been with them picking and choosing what pre-52 stuff still happened, they kind of need this.
    -Batgirl #21
    -Nightwing #21
    -Constantine #4
    -Justice League Dark #21

May Get/Not Getting But Worth Note
    -Batman/Superman #1: Showing the first meeting of Superman and Batman! Even though we already showed that to you in Justice League!

Shh...pretend you don't remember that!

-Trinity of Sin: Pandora #1: Phantom Stranger has been hit or miss month-to-month. May get the first issue at least to see how this is.

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as an omnibus vs. an absolute. I've always viewed that an omnibus is more for people that want to read for the story, while absolute is more for the art. That said, neither is usually in print for that long (not sure if the Sandman ones are or not), so doing it as an omnibus now at least keeps the stuff in circulation a little longer.

I really need to get an omnibus. It's the one "Comic Nerd" thing that I've always wanted but never broke down and bought. I've just never been able to break that "$100+ for this thing!?!?!" stigma. The only thing close to it I've purchased was the One Volume Bone.

4. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

My comments:

- Might go in for that Superman Phantom Zone TPB for Steve Gerber.

- Part of me says to get Astro City #1 because it's new Astro City. But I also remember stopping the single issues in favor of the trades on The Dark Age because it was getting too frustrating to read it in single issues. Will probably preorder #1 and then hold the rest.

- The cover to Batman: Lil' Gotham #3 is hilarious.

- Does anybody know the reason for that Beware the Creeper TPB? Are they reviving the character for the New 52 or something? I remember the original mini-series was OK, and Cliff Chiang is always a good thing, but it seems kind of out of the blue to me.

- re: Omnibus vs. Absolutes - over and above what Jin says above, my impression is that Omnibus editions will either be reduced size or comic-book sized, while the Absolutes will be oversized books, and Omnibus editions collect a whole lot more stuff than a single volume Absolute edition. The first Absolute Sandman edition only collected the first 3 story arcs (though the 3rd was the "Dream Country" short stories), while the Omnibus has all that plus 2 more story arcs (Season of Mists and A Game of You, plus the Special). Neither makes for very convenient reading since they're so big, but the Absolute Sandman editions sure are pretty.

5. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

All-Star Western
    Animal Man
    Batman and Robin (Batman and Batgirl)
    Batman Incorporated
    Batwoman
    Constantine
    Demon Knights
    Dial H
    Earth 2
    Green Arrow
    Green Lantern
    New Guardians
    Justice League Dark
    Larfleeze
    Legion of Super-Heroes
    Red Hood and the Outlaws
    Red Lanterns
    Stormwatch
    Superman
    Superman Unchained
    Swamp Thing
    Green Team
    The Movement
    Treshold
    Wonder Woman

6. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

I actually had the original Phantom Zone issues when they came out back in '82. Not really that great, despite the creative pedigree involved (Gerber, Colan). The lone DC book in my hold now is All-Star Western, but I'm surprised no one's taken a flier on the Green Team, a concept revived from First Issue Special back in 1975 (!). That I may look into.