1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Comics Solicitations - December 2011

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Harley, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Harley

Harley Embarassment Ninja
    Staff Member Administrator

2. Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama Hawkguy
    Staff Member Moderator

Getting

-Justice League #4
    -Aquaman #4
    -The Flash #4: Can't wait to read #1. I'm still skeptical about Manapul as a writer, but if he can write anywhere near how he draws, this book will be great.
    -Green Arrow #4: I already had low expectations, but having a new writer after three issues isn't a good sign.
    -DC Universe Presents #4
    -Superman #4: If the first issue is good. Still not sure with nothing but cover art.
    -Batman #4
    -Batman and Robin #4: Haven't read #1 yet, but the reviews state Damian being even more annoying than usual. If that's the normal, I may end up dropping it.
    -Red Hood and the Outlaws #4
    -Nightwing #4
    -Grifter #4
    -All-Star Western #4
    -Batman Beyond: Industrial Revolution TP: The mini wasn't too bad, so I'll give it a go. 8 issues for $17's really good considering their normal TP prices, too.
    -Secret Six: The Darkest House TP: The last trade. Sigh....
    -Tiny Titans #47
    -Sweet Tooth vol. 4: Endangered Species TP: Been reading the series in trade and loving it.

May Get/Not Getting But Worth Note

-The Savage Hawkman #4: As gory as it is, that cover is still awesome.
    -Batman Incorporated: Leviathan Strikes #1: They're hyping next year's Leviathan thing as the big end to Morrison's Bat-stuff. Hopefully that means once it's all over, I can start enjoying Batman again.
    -Suicide Squad #4: Love me some Captain Boomerang, but I was less than impressed with #1.
    -Catwoman Vol. 1 TP: I've heard great things about the run. Might give it a go.

3. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

I'll be getting:

Justice League #4 -
    I'll be in on this title for the long run.

Action Comics #4 -
    The jury is still out on this series for me, but hopefully I'll be sticking with it as long as it changes my mind with the next issue or two. I'm interested in seeing the new introduction of Clark's Kryptonian origins and costume

Batman #4 - The first issue was great! -- Looking forward to seeing the new Owlman.

I'll be picking these two titles up for a friend on a regular basis, so I get to read them first :D:

Green Lantern #4 -
    Sinestro as GL? I was skeptical, but this had a pretty good first issue.

The Flash #4 -
    The first issue was just okay to me. But at least I can continue to read it without buying it for myself.

#3 Bat-Fan Beyond, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2011
  4. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

Krul is off Green Arrow, Keith Giffen on. And Dan Jurgens'll be co-writing. I like Krul's Oliver so it sucks for me that he's getting replaced so soon, but the book has been one of the worst reviewed of The New 52. Is Giffen any good? I really like Ollie, and I don't plan on dropping this, so hopefully Giffen makes it work.

5. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes PBS: We rock harder than MTV

Will buy:
    Justice League #4
    Mister Terrific #4
    Action Comics #4
    Superman #4
    Static Shock #4
    The All-New Batman: The Brave and the Bold #14
    Tiny Titans #47

Might buy:
    None.

More thoughts on my blog.

Anyone notice who's apparently showing up in "Action"? Makes up (somewhat) for Superman's "Lil' Abner' costume... :p

6. Simpler Simon

Simpler Simon Always in Style

Most of what I have of Giffen falls into the "bwa-ha-ha" category when he's teamed up with his partner in crime J.M. DeMatteis. When he's on his own, he's not as strong but still good. I have the entirety of his recent Doom Patrol run and it started off slow but got more compelling as it went on. He seems to be better when he's injecting humour or absurdity into his stories instead of straight superhero adventures, which is probably what made the first issue of OMAC enjoyable. I'll definitely be giving it a try - Krul's OK but he's definitely a "company man" writer that DC can rely on to put out a book to decent sales.

Beyond this, there's more than a couple of books this month that feature fill-in artists or co-artists, probably a testament to the tight turnarounds to make digital day-and-date. I thought the whole point of having 2-3 months of filler artists on the regular books during Flashpoint was so DC could avoid doing this so soon.

7. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Definitely interested in:

The Shade #3: Mostly interested because it brings back memories of the '90's "Starman".
    Demon Knights #4
    Justice League Dark #4
    Scalped #55

Maybe:

Spaceman #3
    Showcase Presents: The Spectre TPB:
    Looks like classic Silver Age material.

These "DC Comics Presents" must be the equivalent of the "Marvel Must Have's"...there's none this month that I want though.