"DC Comics Premiere Movie" Animated Features News & Discussion Thread, Part 6 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Welcome to the "DC Comics Premiere Movie" Animated Features News & Discussion Thread, Part 6 (Spoilers), where you can talk about all of DC's upcoming Direct-to-Videos animated features! With a host of DC Comics DTVs on the way, stayed tuned for trailers, interviews, images, reviews, and so much more!

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part One
    September 25th, 2012 to Blu-ray and DVD!

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part Two
    Coming 2013 to Blu-ray and DVD!

To check out the newest information, look for the newest post in this thread for any updates. For more news and the latest information on what DC Animation is coming, check out the links below:

-The World's Finest News Page

Archived Threads:
    -The Official DC Animated DTV News & Speculation Thread, Part 5
    -The Official DC Animated DTV News & Speculation Thread, Part 4
    -The Official DC Animated DTV News & Speculation Thread, Part 3
    -The Official DC Animated DTV News & Speculation Thread, Part 2
    -The Official DC Animated DTV News & Speculation Thread, Part 1

Post Your Thoughts!

Related Thread:
    -The "DC Universe Animated Shorts" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Note: Once a DTV title is officially announced, it will be spun off into its own thread. Even if a title has been confirmed as in production, we will wait until an official announcement before creating a thread for said title.

Note #2: DC Universe Animated Original Movie line rebranded DC Comics Premiere Movie.

Want to know what Marvel Animation DTVs are coming? Click here for more!

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

Mod Note: Discussion continued from The Official DC Animated DTV News & Speculation Thread, Part 5.

Definitely a legitimate date since Superman/Batman: Public Enemies came out on September 29, 2009 and it looks like Superman/Batman: Apocalypse will follow with September 27, 2010 if I were a betting man.

Yes, Lauren Montgomery states this on a past video interview this year with the site that cannot be named. So far we only know of one confirmed title as Dreyfus stated, the Green Lantern one in June 2011 to accompany the live action movie (like with Dark Knight and Gotham Knight).

Yes, there were a few. At one time, we thought it was an adaptation of Red Son but James Harvey managed to confirm it was one of those motion comics. Then there was the alleged online survey that posted the Lost City of Krypton synopsis. Third, during a Crisis on Two Earths panel, Dwayne McDuffie, when asked about his future DC Universe projects cryptically said it would be "a super good time," leading many to assume one of them would be a Superman movie.

So now it's a team up, hmm. Not sure if that's a good idea anymore after seeing Public Enemies a few times...but I can understand if they are both doing a lot of projects at once with 4 movies a year and who knows if they're directing on any of the 2 upcoming animates series.

3. Dreyfus

Dreyfus New Member

Why might it not be a good idea? Wasn't Public Enemies directed by Sam Liu alone?
    James Harvey, you left off the letter "W" on your post.

Mod Note: Thanks for all the catches and help, folks! Much appreciated!

4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

Yeah, the dual directing was Crisis on Two Earths, disregard. :p

5. tenderheartbear

tenderheartbear Member

Message deleted as question now answered.

Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2010
  6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

Stumbled on this snippet while I was re-listening to a Phil LaMarr interview from the Wizard Anaheim Comic Con on April 26, 2010. While the folks asked him about if he would do work on those DC Universe movies, at the 20 minute, 20 second mark, LaMarr revealed:

"I did work for Andrea [Romano] and Bruce [Timm] on a new Batman DVD."

Link: Realm Cast interview

Looks like this might have been the first bit about Batman: Year One that may have turned up unless it was one of the other ones with Batman in it.

7. Dreyfus

Dreyfus New Member

He could possibly voice Commissioner Loeb.

8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

True, but only if they decide to keep him black from the Nolanverse version. In the original story, I seem to remember he was white and undoubtedly connected to Falcone. In the Nolan movies, it was pretty ambiguous, I think he just against any and all vigilantes. Ah, just a nitpick. ;)

EDIT: Eh, this sounds borderline racist on my part. I'm just stoked that LaMarr is doing animated DC work again.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2010
  9. Time Wizard

Time Wizard It All Ends Here

SO much cool stuff coming from DC, but I'm so far behind....:sad: I've only seen Wonder Woman and Superman Doomsday....

10. Dreyfus

Dreyfus New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
  11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

I almost missed this today! On today's World's Finest, there was a small side piece on the Gotham Knight Teletoon one:

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/news.php/news.php?action=fullnews&id=781

A name for the untitled Green Lantern movie and confirmation on Batman: Year One?! :cool:

12. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

WTH? Does that guy not actually get it? He didn't have an interview with Timm he just asked a few questions at a con panel and cut some of the answers down removing the context.

I'm not sure why he thinks we should believe him when it's his word against Bruce Timm's. A fan with a website or the guy in charge of the DC DTVs, hmmm that's a toughie. :p

13. Primal Slayer

Primal Slayer New Member

If all the speculated films do come through as legit, while I enjoy those stories I am going to be dissapointed that Green lantern will be the only non Superman or Batman film coming out in the next year 1/2.

14. Callonme

Callonme New Member

I've been thinking of good Superman stories to adapt. Brainiac is definitely one and I hope that is coming. The other obvious candidate is All-Star Superman. I would love to see it, but can it be successfully condensed? New Frontier is a similarly large work and it's adaptation was certainly a herculean effort with pretty good results. All-Star Superman is more focused character-wise but is similarly episodic in story format. I think it could definitely be turned into a fantastic animated feature and I hope that those in charge of these movies are considering it.

Some other ideas:

- A reworking of Our Worlds at War could be an epic Superman-focused movie.

- Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? would make for a great double feature with The Killing Joke.

- Superman for All Seasons is a beautiful story that could easily be adapted.

That's all I could come up with actually. I stuck to collected and readily available stories as it seems obscure runs probably wouldn't be considered for adaptation. Since we've got a lot of Superman and Batman coming our way, I thought it would be fun to discuss the stories most fit for the animated treatment. Any other ideas, guys?

15. Dreyfus

Dreyfus New Member

I think those choices would be interesting to see, but I'm unsure of how well some of the Alan Moore stuff would work. I always felt that story adaptations are chosen because they have the right elements that will lend themselves to animated treatment, and that some of the Alan Moore stories thrown out there would not fit that criteria because they deal with almost metatextual concepts as opposed to the more straightforward storyline you might see in other adaptations, especially Whatever Happened to the Man of Tommorow?. I think it would be great to see Whatever Happened to the Man of Tommorow? and I think it has a decent chance of being animated, strictly on the basis of its place as a classic and heartfelt Superman story, but I'm not so sure that it would be my first choice for a DC Universe Animated Original Movie.

16. AviTrek

AviTrek New Member

I think the recent Superman and the Legion of Superheroes would work better as a movie than Braniac. The plot just felt more cinematic. The Braniac arc was ok, but I just didn't feel like it was anything special that makes me want to see it animated.

17. SaBaWoJuLe

SaBaWoJuLe New Member

Really thinking about this, the Superman stories I like to see adapted are:

- Superman For All Seasons
    (beautiful story, stable for Superman, easy to adapt, if you're doing Batman Year One, why not do the Superman: Year One?)

- Superman: For Tomorrow
    (I personally feel this is an underrated story that suffered because it wasn't meant to be read as issues, but together as one. It's mainly about Superman thinking about what would to Earth if it faced the same fate as Krypton, and the reaction of Superman's actions.)

- Superman: Last Son
    (What Superman Returns should've been, even down to the kid. Wouldn't it be great to see Superman and his son, Zod, Ursa, and Non, Luthor and the Superman Revenge Squad, rampaging kryptonians, all in a DTV?)

- Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes
    (I mainly pick this instead of Brainiac (I'll explain below), but this story brought back Superboy (though still hidden in the panels, to which the DTV won't have to do that). It stays with the influence of Superman, and what would happen in the long run pass Superman's time, and what-if someone tampered with it.)

- Superman: Brainiac
    (A very good storyline like anything else Geoff Johns has done, with an importance which was that it led towards New Krypton. But if you take it out, it still would work regardless, and instead be about the importance of Brainiac's role as one of Superman's main enemies. But if there is one thing I'm not sure about, its Brainiac in the upcoming live-action film; you don't know what they are looking at for reference, but chances are it might be this one. And if so, they may not want this close to, if not at, the same time as the live-action film's release. But overall, this is a great storyline to read and hopefully see. BTW, despite what AviTrek said; it is cinematic, complete with a race to stop the doomsday clock sequence(s).)

- All Star Superman
    (do I have to explain why I want this ne? I mean really...)

- Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
    (if All Star is too hard, then this other classic last story of Superman would be something to see.)

Now, on Wonder Woman, and really thinking about this again, there is only one I want to be adapted that would be considered "safe" during this time in the DC DTVs, and it's this one:

- Wonder Woman, Greg Rucka's run

Basically, a DTV based on Rucka's run, to which the main story would be Eyes of the Gorgun, but I said Rucka's name anyway so we can see what can be used from various arcs and not just that one. Now, what makes this safe is also what makes this worth making: it shows Diana's place in the DCU; which means, like the comic, it has Superman, Batman, Flash, and the JLA. We can have Superman helping Diana and her embassy, we can have the scene from Down to Earth where Diana and Flash argue over the forest fire, Batman could have a role where he is asked for help by Diana, but for the DTV version, in helping Diana uncover who is behind the movements against her (for story purposes), and finally, in order to see if she can still fight despite her blindness, we can have the WW vs. JLA fight.

Oh, and if b.t. is reading this, if you need help, contact me! I need a big break of one, but two, I know how to figure this out for DTV form, just as much as I figured out how to translated The Long Halloween (and not just that one) in DTV as well. Enough so that if I were to piutch it to you, you would be surprised that you probably never even though about doing it that way.

So for some reason it cannot be done, then this Wonder Woman story would be a safe one:

- Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia

Perfectly-done story about Diana and where she comes from, with a team-up with a certain...Dark Knight. Even that would be a safew bet to pitch, right?

Other stories? Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman: Trinity (the Wagner mini-series), I want to see Flash (like to see the Flash family), more Green Lantern (Sinestro Corps War!!!), Hawkworld, Shazam!, and I know there's more like anyone of us.

I also have a personal pitch which is an anthology based on DC's famous....well I'am scared to say.

So that's it!

P.S. remember me, b.t.

18. Manhunter

Manhunter Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy

Batman: The Player on The Other Side

Black Lightning

The Manhunter Saga (which I'm embarrassed to have never suggested until now, given my username)

19. Primal Slayer

Primal Slayer New Member

They should do a Trinity story, if its an adaption or original movie.

But if they want to do more Superman/Batman movies, then atleast do stories where other heroes who arent S or B guest star and have supporting roles.

20. SSJBatman

SSJBatman New Member

This.

I love the trinity D:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.