1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Comics - General News and Information Thread, Part Two (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Wow, that may be the first new 52 book I pick up.

2. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Christy Marx name for me immediately evokes the famous "lost episode" of Beast Wars: Transformers, "Dark Glass." It was about Rattrap attempting to upload the datatrack of the original Dinobot into his Transmetal 2 variant, thus explaining a plot twist in the final episode.

I've heard there's some good stuff coming out of it. I hear raves from a lot of comic book sites for a handful of titles.

3. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Dan DiDio missing the entire point of the exercise. The Phantom Stranger not only doesn't need an Origin Story, he becomes acutely less interesting when you give him one. The only time they ever gave him an "origin story" in the comics that I know about, it was in a Secret Origins special issue where they got four different writers to give him four entirely different origins and didn't tell you which (if any) was the real one. This is the Phantom Stranger in a nutshell. But I guess if we wanna make him into a marketable superhero, we need to know everything about Who He Is and How He Came To Be.

Fie, phooey, and pshaw to all that.

The Christy Marx connection means I might check out an issue or two of Sword of Sorcery, but only if I can get 'em for cheap from comiXology.

4. Shawn Hopkins

The Phantom Stranger isn't a superhero.

But then again, neither is John Constantine, and DC put him on a Justice League team.

5. Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama Hawkguy
    Staff Member Moderator

Of course we do! No one cared about Wolverine before they gave him an origin! :)

I always assumed that the "Stranger" in Phantom Stranger meant he kind of had to have no origin. I mean, it's right there in the name.

6. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

WhAT You SAAy?!? Phantom Stranger is in a COMEEK BOK! Published by DC! HAS to be SuPERHrEO!! Now he EVEN has ORIGIN STORY!! SEE?!!!!:.!>>!;!??!??!/1eleven!

;)

7. VictoryStar

VictoryStar "Here is your first present~"

The Talon is getting his own comic? Ha Talon I semi-called it! (I told the one on the forum here not the comic book character :p) though I thought it would be about a heel faced Dick Grayson's Granddad rather than a new character all together. I'll defiantly be reading.

The other 3 seem interesting as do the zero issues whenever they begin but I guess we'll have to wait until they come out to see if they'll be good. Oh and still not sure about that "Every comic getting zero issue" thing.

8. Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama Hawkguy
    Staff Member Moderator

With the solicitations coming soon, a bunch of stuff is starting to trickle out. One of the most interesting? The Green Lantern teased in the New 52 Free Comic Book Day book is in Green Lantern #0.

And, oh man, is it terrible. Because, apparently, having the universe's most powerful weapon on your finger isn't enough, you also need a handgun. Because it's EXTREME!!!

And we have those series now!

Along with the already known cancellation of Justice League International, DC has revealed that they're cancelling Voodoo, Resurrection Man and Captain Atom.

Also, if you were a fan of the various series affected by the first round of cancellations, the issue zero of DC Universe Presents will be bringing some of them back for one month only.

9. Shawn Hopkins

No, no, no. You only need a handgun if you are Arabic. Because of course you are a terrorist.

Sheesh, there's also X-TREME!!!!!! Captain Marvel on that page, too. Did anybody not expect this kind of crap to happen when they hired Jim Lee, the man second-most associated with early 90s excess?

10. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Oh, snap! I only got one right, and that wasn't even certain when I last wrote on this thread (Voodoo).

Ok, Dan Dimwit is writing Phantom Stranger. I wasn't paying attention last time, and as much as I liked Brent Anderson's work when he first hit the scene 30-odd years ago, I'm praying he lands another, more lucrative gig should this incarnation of PS buy the farm within a year (and it will, considering Dimwit's last book didn't survive the first cut). I may still give this a try, but.....meh, I don't know.

Team 7 replaces Voodoo, that much was obvious, but I'm stunned that Demon Knights will stick around a wee bit longer. Sword of Sorcery is the new home for Amethyst?!? Didn't read that series back in the 80's, so I'll pass.

11. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

I wasn't reading any of the canceled 4 books, so no love lost over here. Out of the 4 new books, I'll probably only get Talon as the other 3 don't look all that interesting to me.

Superman is being taking over by Scott Lobdell and Kenneth Rocafort. So that means Rocafort is off Red Hood and the Outlaws, which sucks because he was a big reason why I like that book. Oh well, hopefully the new guy, Dwayne Turner'll be good too. I'll definitely be picking this one up since so far I've been liking what Lobdell is doing on his other New 52 titles. Judd Winnick is taking over Green Arrow (which I've dropped) for at least the zero issue, so I'll at least buy that one since I really like what he's doing on both Batwing and Catwoman and Batman: Under the Red Hood is easily one of my favourite DC movies.

12. galvatron2.0

galvatron2.0 New Member

Disappointed captain atom is getting cancelled. Alot of existential god like stuff being written there. Damn.

13. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Should've figured Resurrection Man wouldn't last last. Poor DnA, they were probably so excited to have their character back.

14. staticblue

staticblue Active Member

15. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

If you ask me the whole new 52 need to be cancelled

16. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

17. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

Tis a sign of Hope!

18. Nightwing26

Nightwing26 Active Member

I c u big dog, wha's good in the hood (or should I say "with the collar?") Discowing?

This is kinda exciting for me just because there is the possibility that I can enjoy New 52's Grayson and an alternate reality world-that-is-somehow-the-same-as-Pre-52-continuity's Nightwing chilling with the Titans. I mean, bringing the classic Titans back in some fashion (maybe dying April and May's 'Blood Moon') would be a nice tie-in to the possible new Titans series.

19. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I'm not getting too excited. I think this might be a Multiversity tease. Superman could be the Earth One graphic novel series. Plastic Man and the JSA could be the silver age Earth 2. Blue Beetle could be the Charlton earth. Captain Marvel could be the Fawcett Earth (recently teased in the December solicitation for Multiversity). Although, these all do resemble Post Crisis ("old 52") continuity. The 80s New Teen Titans can't exactly be explained or dismissed as being a separate earth.

20. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!