DC Comics - General News and Information Thread, Part Two (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, Sep 15, 2011.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Continue discussing the new DC Universe!

The New 52!

[​IMG]
    Click the image for a closer look!

Check out Toonzone Comics for complete solicitation details and keep an eye in this thread for news updates and more!

2. suss2it

suss2it New Member

3. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

It's just generally stupid and unnecessary. That's not like the Wall. No matter how far over the line she was willing to go there was always a point. This is a new character with the same name, all there is to it. Reminds me a bit of Ivana Baiul from DV8, who's just nasty for the sake of nasty.

4. suss2it

suss2it New Member

5. suss2it

suss2it New Member

iFanboy has the December solicits and covers for the Dark line of books. Looks like Mike Choi is filling in for #4 of Demon Knights. I've already heard good things about it, and him joining, even if it's for just one issue has me really excited.

ETA: And Comic Vine has the December solicits and covers for the Edge line. So Green Arrow is showing in Grifter #4 and Batgirl in Birds of Prey #4, not sure how I feel about these guest appearances so soon. On one hand it does make The New 52 universe feel more connected and expansive, but on the other hand I think for the year it'd be nice for these books to prove themselves on their own without relying on guest-appearances.

Also, Captain Boomerang is joining the Suicide Squad. I take it he's a longstanding member? He was one of the operatives in the "Task Force X" episode of JLU, so I'm assuming he's had a history with the Squad in the past? It also seems like more Squad members are gonna die, which I think makes sense for a book like this and it adds more danger to the missions.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2011
  6. Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama Hawkguy

He was a part of the original Suicide Squad, when the title first started years ago.

7. suss2it

suss2it New Member

CBR has all the December covers and solicits for the Batman family of titles (except for the Huntress and Penguin minis). Looks like Nightwing's getting a fill-in. So I guess DC was being serious when they said no more delays. And it's gonna be a busy month for Batgirl since she'll be popping in both Birds of Prey and ​Nightwing.

Thanks for the info, I really gotta track down the original run one of these days.

ETA: And Newsarama has the Superman family solicits. Yay for Steel showing up. I always liked him in S:TAS and the little we saw of him in JLU. Him and Hardware seem to be very similar characters, at least powers wise, and since they both exist in "The New 52" I wonder how soon until they meet up.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
  8. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

9. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

After never having read anything related to Legion of Super Heroes before, I decided to pick up Legion Lost #1 as an attempt to discover something new and hopefully find a new team book to enjoy and I'm definately glad I did. The plot and story was really fun and the characters seem pretty cool, I'm really looking to continue on with this book and to check out their regular monthly book when it hits stands later this month. I wasn't a huge fan of the art in this book, it wasn't terrible or anything but I think I've been spoiled by Lee and Daniel on their respective books to the point where anything that isn't theirs pales in comparison to me, lol. Anyhow, Legion Lost was a fun book and I'm glad I've discovered a new superhero team that isn't a team stacked full of recognizable characters to enjoy, I'll be keeping up with both titles as they see release.

10. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Chaos Yoshi Mage The Lonely Raven

Reading the article has me worried, hearing things like "born out of the closet" and "more flamboyant" don't bode well. Oh, and he's Mexican and gay, which wouldn't be a problem, but it kind of irks of the whole trying to be as diverse as possible without really trying to be diverse thing.

11. EinBebop

EinBebop Kneel Before Zod

"Seriously, I really wish [Bunker's sexuality] wasn't a big deal. It shouldn't be, but that would be in a perfect world."

Considering that's the defining characteristic, in that same perfect world the character would have flopped for being so uninteresting.

12. suss2it

suss2it New Member

So just because a character is in two minority groups they're no longer considered a valid attempt at diversity? So unlike the real world characters should solely he in one minority group?

Also, what's wrong with the character being flamboyant? Lots of gay men are flamboyant, I don't see why that can't be reflected in comics.

13. Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama Hawkguy

It's kind of two trains of thought. On one hand, it's good to have diversity, and open diversity at that, in comics. But on the other, having it be flamboyant and in-your-face straddles the line of trying too hard, and doing it just to do it as opposed to doing it because it should be done.

It's hard to say without the issue actually being out, and being able to see exactly how it's handled. If he just happens to be a more open homosexual, then cool, but if every panel is him screaming "I'm Gay!" it could do more damage than good.

14. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Chaos Yoshi Mage The Lonely Raven

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it (The two minority groups), it just often comes across as pandering. It really doesn't matter that much to me, as long as the executions fine. I probably shouldn't have even brought it up, lol.

As for being flamboyant, yet again, execution, it has potential to turn out really bad. And yes, I know there are very flamboyant gays out there, I just don't want to see a stereotype...

15. Ed Liu

Ed Liu Grumpy Gorilla

DC is making it easier for you :), though if you don't take advantage, they may assume nobody's interested.

I re-read those comics recently, and like JLI, I'm surprised at how little those comics have aged other than some of the geopolitics and the fashion sense. However, they're just as good as I remember them being from when I was reading them in college (!) and I'm totally in for all the TPBs even though I have almost all of the single issues.

16. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

My take:

Justice League: I never did like stories that start right in the middle of the action! I want to have a better idea of what is going on. In that context, you never start a story in the middle without doing a flashback in the first issue to guide the reader. There will be a pool on if/when Jim Lee misses his first deadline. I digress.

IIRC, when Vic Stone was introduced in New Teen Titans 1 31 years ago, he was a track star, not a football hero. I guess track & field ain't cool anymore? Or are they waiting to create an African-American Flash based on Usain Bolt (a Jamaican)? Lee & Johns have to do plenty to get this old schooler to stick past the first arc.

Batgirl: The only time Barbara Gordon headlined a book as Batgirl was a 1-shot special that preceded the Killing Joke. Now, they've contracted the amount of time that has passed since she was shot by the Joker. Ok, that's fine, and I'm interested in seeing what Gail Simone has planned.

Demon Knights: Bought this one as an impulse buy the other day. What intrigues me more than anything is the "triangle" involving Madame Xanadu and Etrigan/Jason Blood. Who knew that Etrigan could be a playboy demon?

On the other hand, that's a push-the-envelope relationship, similar to Dove & Deadman, that may have certain watchdog groups howling if they catch wind.

I gave up on Seven Soldiers before it was finished, and read the Wikipedia entry on the new Shining Knight earlier. Ystin(a) could wind up hooking up with Etrigan in time, and that wouldn't surprise me, given the cavalier attitude discussed in the article in re.: Catwoman & Starfire. More on that later.

Men of War: The other impulse buy I made, and I'm glad I did. Best artwork of the lot so far. So we're introduced to Sgt. Rock's grandson. Oh, snap! Talk about humble! Winslade's Navy Seals backup had a feel as though he was channeling Russ Heath's work for DC on their war books in the 60's. Worth every penny.

I have nothing in my buy list this week. Hometown shop claims DC underprinted, but my brother thinks they underordered and got swamped. They've got at least one person who is buying all 52 books. If I were him, I'd reconsider the economics of that gamble. All-Star Western comes in next week, and that's the only book that actually is of interest.

Based on the article I read, I may give Catwoman a look, and maybe Red Hood & the Outlaws, too. I don't like the idea of Starfire suddenly becoming a cosmic slut, but they're clearly trying to distance her from ex-lover Nightwing, whom they're pushing toward getting back with Batgirl, near as I can tell from solicits.Catwoman getting busy with Batman?! I'll be lucky if I can find a copy.

I joked earlier about a deadline pool on JL. However, it's more likely Robber Liefeld could be missing a deadline sooner than Lee, given his track record. Granted, he started missing deadlines after he started doing his own thing at Image (not sure about Marvel, and he never had that problem in the brief time he was at DC). Hawk & Dove looks like they're revisiting what Liefeld did in the first miniseries to feature Dawn as Dove, but no Kestrel (yet), and I'm still trying to figure out how Dawn can have a romance with a ghost (Deadman).

The first arcs are the cut-off point for right now. Once they're done, I'll decide where to go from there.

17. suss2it

suss2it New Member

I didn't really get that feeling here. Especially since the issue itself is a flashback.

There was also Batgirl: Year One, which I recently read, and I think it's pretty good.

18. Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama Hawkguy

If you enjoyed it, you should check out "Robin: Year One" as well. They're both great stories.

19. suss2it

suss2it New Member

They were both written by the same people right? I really like Batgirl: Year One, and Dick was a fun character in it, so I'll eventually get around to buying and reading it.

20. Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama Hawkguy

Same creative teams on both. Unless I'm mistaken, they did the Robin one first, and after the success of that, they did Batgirl.