1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Comics debuts new logo which 'celebrates past, present and future'

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, May 17, 2016.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

DC Comics is getting a new logo. The official details are below.

[​IMG]

New Logo Design Celebrates DC Brand’s Past, Present and Future
    Logo to Debut on May 25 Release of ‘DC Universe: Rebirth Special #1’ by Geoff Johns

DC Entertainment announced a new identity and logo for its iconic DC brand. The new DC logo is a mark that leverages over 80 years of heritage with an eye toward the future.

“While comics continue to be the heart and soul of DC, the brand has evolved to now stand for powerful storytelling across so many different forms of media. DC is home to the greatest Super Heroes and Super-Villains, and the new logo has the character and strength to stand proudly alongside DC’s iconic symbols,” stated Amit Desai, DC Entertainment Senior Vice President of Marketing and Global Franchise Management.

“The launch of the new logo is the perfect tribute to DC’s legacy, exciting future and most importantly, our fans.”

The new logo will debut on the cover of the highly-anticipated DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH SPECIAL #1 comic book written by Geoff Johns releasing May 25 and available in comic book shops and digitally. REBIRTH represents the next chapter in the ongoing saga of the DC Universe, mixing traditional values and a modern aesthetic.

“I’m very proud that REBIRTH will be the first comic book published with the new DC logo.” stated Geoff Johns, DC Entertainment’s Chief Creative Officer. “To me, REBIRTH and the new DC logo are built on what’s come before while looking to what will come tomorrow. I can’t wait for people to see it on the cover.”

The new DC branding will be introduced immediately on various digital platforms, including DC websites, social media channels, DC All Access webseries, and DC All Access app and will continue to rollout worldwide across all DC content and products. One of the many benefits of the new logo design is its versatility to showcase DC’s iconic and timeless characters and stories across all media. Look for the new logo to come to life at key events in the coming months.

The new identity and logo were developed in partnership with Pentagram, the world’s largest independent design consultancy.

What are your thoughts on the new logo, the company's third brand logo revamp in just over ten years?

2. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Jeez they need to just go back to the bullet logo. Each one since then has been getting progressively worse. This is just so incredibly bland and basic that it's forgettable.

3. Couchguy

Couchguy New Member

This thing looks like an electrical outlet to me. (Yes, Virginia -- electric outlets in the US used to have only two prongs. I'm ancient. Move along.) I agree that the so-called "bullet" (with the stars and the 45 degree cant) was much more pleasing, graphically. This is not Pentagram's finest moment.

4. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

Wait, what? They're changing it again? I had already gotten adjusted to the 2012 logo. It was jarring at first but its application in media was really creative (especially in the Flash/Supergirl closing credits). Shame.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

I'd love it had they went back to the 1976 logo. Would've been nice to see that used for TV, oh well.

This logo needs outlines and another color.

6. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

To me it looks generic it really needed a gray background and maybe to stylize the letters a little more.

7. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

BORING!!!
    I all-time favorite DC logo is from the 80's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

The "bullet" logo dates back to 1977. The new logo has a retro feel to it, as it's a reboot of the one that preceded the bullet (1972-6). All it needs is "The Line of Super-Stars" encircling it, and we're all set.

9. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

I'm not a fan of the new logo.
    The older logo looked much better.