1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Comics announces multi-verse crossover event "Convergence" for April 2015

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

There was interior art for the Batgirl issue with Tim in his pre-New 52 Red Robin costume and the summary also mentions him :).

2. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Great, Pre 52 Tim is my favorite character of all time.

3. Nightwing26

Nightwing26 Active Member

As a Dick Grayson fan, Nightwing/Oracle sounds cool and all... But as of right now, I'm just tired of this pairing's, "will they, won't they?" Even if it is their marriage, I just don't really care. Of course, Pre-52 Nightwing is always welcome, so maybe I will pick this up.

Two things that I am "upset" with right now, is that, one, Batman and Robin stars Bruce and Damian. Batman and Robin starting from January will be starring those two anyways, so why does there need to be an alternate universe version of the two teaming up in basically the same way, except Damian doesn't have superpowers. I wanted to see Dick as Batman teaming up with Damian at least one more time, a last hurrah, and I honestly expected this event to be exactly that... But I was wrong. The other thing that bugs me a little is just that Grayson doesn't seem to be important to the Titans series at all. Again, another lost opportunity to see Dick lead his team, a last hurrah for that era's Nightwing who doesn't exist anymore, and it's been used up.

I really hope there are other books that star Dick Grayson in more interesting stories than just Nightwing/Oracle. I hope Red Robin is important to Kingdom Come and that there is at least either a DickBats story, or a Discowing-lead Titans series (or both). I can also see the possibility of Flashpoint Grayson (he became Flashpoint's Dr. Fate, I think?) showing up somewhere in the whole event since Flashpoint characters seem to be important (Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Hawkman, Hawkwoman).

4. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

I'm just hoping this isn't "cannon fodder du jour" for our old favorites, given its role is "something to put out while we finish our move out west"...

Re: pregnant Lois: 1) aliens and Earthlings having offspring is pretty old hat in sci-fi/science fantasy... see; Mr. Spock, etc., and 2) even if they're going with something like "they can't naturally have kids" (against various non-canon stories suggesting otherwise, or future-set stories suggesting descendants), it shouldn't be anything their world's science can't handle...

And yay for the Zoo Crew showing up! Yes, they need/deserve their own Earth. If DC plans on giving Earths to what should be just non-canon-in-any-sense Elseworlds stories nobody cares about, they can keep Capt. Carrot's Earth around. That, and DC seems to be using Cap a lot lately (Multiverse, that "K'Rot" Rocket Raccoon ripoff, etc.)

5. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Or it's a one-off event where most of the classic characters die.

6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it's less likely we're going to be seeing classic characters die in this compared to Secret Wars unless DC feels like they need to really cull their Multiverse (which doesn't really seem to be an issue at the moment). Not to mention that they'll be the heroes that are focused on, and the ones taking on Braniac and Telos, since I don't think the New 52 versions are really that involved with the event. I think DC is, honestly, trying to please fans of the post-crisis versions of the characters and wouldn't go as far as to do something that would anger them like that.

Which probably sounds hard to believe after the New 52, and the fact that we're probably going to normal New 52 continuity (with potentially some continuity changes/fixes) once it's over, but I'm willing to give DC the benefit of the doubt :sweat:.

7. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

The whole set-up just reminds me of COIE, where they brought a bunch of classic characters from the multiverse to bring a few into continuity and then slaughter the rest.

8. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I thought you were a bit fan of the movie? Skimming through some of your older posts and the Superman Returns thread seems to support that (even your avatar kind of does). Why did you change your mind on the movie?

Will the details for this event be released with the DC solicits on Monday?

9. Nightwing26

Nightwing26 Active Member

I'm not sure about that, but I heard the next 10 two-parters will be released this coming Tuesday. Maybe the 9-part miniseries will be released with the solicits on Monday, although I kinda doubt that. I'm thinking it'll be released the Tuesday after all the 2-part series solicits are released, so 4 more Tuesdays to go?

#29 Nightwing26, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
  10. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Sarcasm (and it's tone) is hard to detect in text. ;)

11. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So the first wave has the Post-Crisis heroes facing off against the Flashpoint universe, and now against the Kingdom Come universe... I wonder who the villains for the next wave of books will be, and when the heroes will finally get around to taking on Braniac and Tellos?

All in all, not as much books I'd like to pick up compared to the last batch but there still looks to be some interesting stories, and creative teams, among the pack. Like ShadowGUN pointed out, it looks like we've moved away from the more modern Post-Crisis era to the 90's era of DC, as evidenced by the characters popping up and the costumes used(particularly Catwoman and the JLI). It'll be nice to see Connor back in Green Arrow, and Waller returned to her classic look :).

Though Aquaman has his hook hand again, which I guess is a bit of a downside for him showing up in Convergence compared to other characters :sweat:.

13. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

I'd buy a two volume omnibus for this, as my 'last book' of the postcrisisDCU. (89 issues isn't going to fit in one volume)

14. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, some really cool books coming out. Classic Titans roster one-shot and a one-shot with the Hawks for the win :D.

The Flash, GLC, and Wonder Woman issues sound interesting too, and a point of interest for the latter to me is that Diana's in a relationship with Steve Trevor...

16. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

For week four I'm guessing we'll get Green Arrow and Green Lantern and Secret Agent Wonder Woman.

17. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!