1. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

DC Comics Animation - Music News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Skelly

Skelly Member

"The rest" as in "the rest of the DCAU"? It's really not likely. There's a reason they're stopping now and they're stopping because, outside of B:TAS, nothing sold very well. Superman didn't sell and apparently JL didn't reap a high profit either.

2. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

JLU could happen eventually. La-La Land have admitted in the past that they've moved forward with some titles knowing that they could afford to make a bit of a loss on them. Of course, such situations only come about when the label is doing very well generally. Hopefully as they release more and more successful titles based on well-known properties (like just about anything by John Williams), they'll have the cash to do a 4-disc JLU set. I very much doubt that it will happen this decade, but perhaps someday... They're big fans of the DCAU and so they may find a way to do it, in the end.

The sales of Trouble in Tokyo shouldn't, I feel, be taken as a reliable indicator of how well a 2 or 3 disc Teen Titans set would sell. Hopefully LLL will fell similarly and move forward with a TT set at some point (but again, not anytime soon from the sounds of things).

Batman Beyond isn't looking too hopeful as it's a different incarnation to BTAS, but if Adv of B&R and TNBA both sell well, then perhaps a 2 disc BB set (or 3 discs if they decide to include Return of the Joker as has been suggested before) will come about. Plus, Batman's 80th anniversary is coming up in 2019...

And even though MV has said that JL Dark is the last of their DC animated film soundtracks, Sub-Zero is very much BTAS and could still see the light of day.

Might be waiting a loooonng time but I'm not giving up hope! :)

3. Skelly

Skelly Member

Feel free to take what I'm about to write with a grain of salt (since it's pretty much all conjecture):

You can produce projects on goodwill only so many times. We're talking now after both S:TAS and apparently JL had problems getting off the ground. Both were 4-disc sets that no doubt required very high levels of research, transferring of elements, then mastering them, etc. The music in question has to be licensed from Warner - which MV once singled out as a very expensive company to work with. These are all costs that factor into a digital release as well; although you're not paying for machine and packaging fees in a digital release, it's not exactly a wildly cheap alternative.

On a different note - - I'd kill for some of the JLU music (particularly material from the Cadmus arc). I would assume that JLU might not be as expensive to produce since that music was (I think) performed entirely on synthesizers and uses samples for everything, so no AFM fees this time around.

Nevertheless, just about every project these guys do is a bit of a gamble, some more risky than others. After two disappointments (and I wonder how Batwoman did? Hopefully well!) I'm not sure if it's fair to half-expect any DCAU stuff from them in the future (outside of Batman, which MV seems more confident on). You might be able find a large slew of people on this board or elsewhere who'd pay top dollar for a JLU set, or a BB set, or Zeta Project or whatever, but according to sales we're still a minority. Animated cartoon music which isn't made for the little ones is a very niche market.

EDIT: MV offers clarification:
    I'm usually not one to believe in the power of online petitions, but the folks here at Toonzone seem like upstanding citizens! If 1000 of you all (and I'm sure there are others at the FSM board who would also be enthused) were to put in (typed) writing, that you'd buy a JLU and/or TT set would you actually? I'm assuming they'd go for about $50-60 like the other sets.
    DC fans were able to bring YJ back; maybe if there are enough of us around, we could save the music of the DCAU from oblivion as well.

• Like Like x 4
    #143 Skelly, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  4. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

I'm up for this.

5. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I think Batman Beyond would end up selling really well, both a set for the show and the movie. As for the petition, I would do that 100% for a JLU and second Superman soundtrack collection, no question. I would put the money down today if it meant getting those two collections.

I noticed that WaterTower Records releases the soundtrack for the DC DVD movies digitally so at least we have that option for those.

6. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Since Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker has seen an OST release, does anyone have the sales figures for that?

Perhaps Warner Bros. will keep things in-house and start issuing some physical releases through Water Tower Records.

7. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

8. John Takis

John Takis Member

Just to be clear, the question put to MV was specifically about summer convention releases, such as the bonanza of titles at last year's Comic-Con San Diego. While MV's reply more succinctly mentions "comic" titles, I wouldn't necessarily read that in the broadest possible way. (Please don't take my post as an indication that there WILL be superhero titles released in 2017! I'm just cautioning people not to go too far when drawing conclusions.)

While I'm checking in ... I applaud good intentions, but petitions are simply not a useful metric for the label. At best, they do not translate reliably into sales. At worst, they can give a negative impression. If you want another volume of SUPERMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES, for example, buy the existing volume or encourage someone who doesn't own it to buy it. Share your love of the set on social media, or on a superhero forum that isn't already tuned in to what LLL is doing. Prompt people who aren't familiar with the show to watch it and listen for the great music. Keep things positive and upbeat (i.e. not desperate)! Bottom line: petitions don't move the needle; actual sales might.

• Like Like x 4
    #148 John Takis, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017