1. Episode 12 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-12/

We discuss the 2017 Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Oscar winners and nominees, what video games we're playing, what upcoming games we’re looking forward to, what’s different about the Nintendo Switch launch vs. the Wii or Wii U, why we loved the original Samurai Jack run and what we're looking forward to in the Season 5 premiere, which had not yet aired at the time of recording.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter for a chance to win "Adventure Time: Islands" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Comics Animation - Music News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Oct 3, 2014.

1. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Looking forward to this release! :)

2. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The World's Finest has posted a short Q & A with Dynamic Music Partners concerning their work on the Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders soundtrack. Click here to check it out!

Stay tuned for another interview here soon at The World's Finest!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Great interview, as always! I wonder if the long-form project coming in 2017 is the Two-Face sequel. I also hope they'll be able to work on Young Justice season 3.

4. Skelly

Skelly Member

I don't think they have a terrible amount of stuff on their plate right now (Avengers Assemble and the sequel to Caped Crusaders are the only things that come to mind) so I'm sure that, if offered the job again, they'd be thrilled to take it. And I'd be thrilled to hear their work on the show again.

5. James Harvey

I asked if Dynamic Music Partners will be involved with Young Justice's upcoming third season and got a no comment ... for now ...

• Like Like x 1
  6. James Harvey

The World’s Finest pulled Producer John Takis aside to discuss his work on an assortment of 2016 DC Comics-based animated soundtracks from La-La Land Records, including the massive Justice League soundtrack release and the new Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders score release. Takis digs into how these titles came together, shares his thoughts on an assortment of different score releases, and how crucial it is for fans to support these releases. He also teases what could be coming down the pipeline for upcoming DC Comics animated-based soundtrack releases. To read the entire two-part interview, click on the image below.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Skelly

Skelly Member

I love all this fun insight! Thanks to all who made these interviews possible.

• Like Like x 3
  8. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Terrific interviews - and very pleased to hear that they're likely to cover The Adventures of Batman and Robin soon. I couldn't agree more with John Takis that TAoB&R contains some of the very finest scores! "Deep Freeze", "House and Garden", "Harlequinade", "Make 'Em Laugh", "Batgirl Returns", "Riddler's Reform" and "Catwalk", to name a few.

9. Skelly

Skelly Member

As wonderful as that sounds, I have to say I'd be more excited for a Justice League Unlimited set. Off the top of my head, "The Return", "Fearful Symmetry", "Epilogue", and the 4-part Cadmus arc all have incredible cues.
    In any case it's so great to have a label like LLL which is partial to comic book geeks. :) I think it's rare for cartoon underscore to get such prestigious treatment.

10. Splinter

Splinter Well-Known Member

I assume there's no chance any of the Black Friday released La-La Land is doing will be DC or even Marvel related? I'm hoping my copy of the Caped Crusaders soundtrack will arrive this week. I can't wait to listen to it.

11. Skelly

Skelly Member

There are no superhero scores in store for this Black Friday.

12. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

What a year it's been for DC animated soundtracks! Just awesome!

When La-La Land get around to The Adventures of Batman and Robin (which will hopefully be a 4-disc set covering all 20 episodes), I wonder if they will take the opportunity to tie up a couple of loose ends... The expanded Mask of the Phantasm score release is missing at least one source cue, and it would be cool to have the out-of-order cues from On Leather Wings, Two-Face parts I & II, Vendetta and Perchance to Dream in the correct order (some of those Vol 4 cues don't quite slot into their correct place amidst the Vol 1 cues). The Adventures of Batman and Robin represents the second season of the original run of BTAS, so it might make sense to use that set to address the above matters. I assume everything from the first season of BTAS (episodes 1-65) is on Vols 1-4 and that nothing was missed.

13. Skelly

Skelly Member

I think that's nitpicking to an almost absurd level. Besides, I imagine that what you're suggesting would be easily achieved via an audio editor (I recommend Audacity).

14. DJMcNiff

DJMcNiff New Member

Bad news. La-La Land Records posted this in the La La Land/MV Questions thread over on the Film Score Monthly message board, in respond to a question and comment about more DC animated movie scores (I put the really bad news from post in bold.):

Three Chris Drake DC animated scores were planned but eventually cancelled due to the composer. He did not like the mixes he had but didn't supply new ones for us to release. Sadly almost every single one of these CDs we have released have failed in terms of sales. We were very honored to release these great scores but they never seemed to have found much of an audience. Justice League Dark will be the final CD we release from the DC Animated films. As for some of the classic animated series, at this point we will just focus on Batman the Animated Series shows and most likely ignore all other incarnations from here on out due to lack of sales. In other words do not expect more Justice League, Superman, or Teen Titans from us in the future.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

We can't really be mad at the triple L. They are a business after all, and it's been clear for some time that no one was majorly interested in these DC releases, especially the new animated films. They tried. If they give us 'The Adventures of Batman & Robin' and 'Subzero', I'll be happy to call it a day.

16. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

It's sad that Teen Titans is being ruled out - and apparently Justice League Unlimited too - but at least we should be getting The Adventures of Batman and Robin, Sub-Zero and The New Batman Adventures, with any luck.

I wonder if Return of the Joker expanded and Batman Beyond will happen at some point.

Not going to give up hope altogether for Teen Titans and JLU (with the League getting the big screen treatment this year and maybe the Titans too eventually, there could possibly be a surge of interest in the animated series' music) but I accept that La-La Land have tried very hard, as Pfeiffer-Pfan has said. I'm really grateful for all they've done and will continue to support their BTAS-related releases.

#136 ShadowStar, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  17. Skelly

Skelly Member

Unfortunate, but fully understandable. What they've done already is incredible though - the entirety of B:TAS's first season, plus some of the best work from Superman and Justice League (and Batwoman).

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

I initially assumed that we'd still get Sub-Zero but now that this news has started to sink in, I'm left with the impression that it won't be released. After all, MV Gerhard from La-La Land Records posted that Justice League Dark would be the last DC animated film soundtrack release... I really hope we'll see the odd exception to that rule, like Sub-Zero! Imagine having BTAS, Phantasm, TAoB&R, TNBA and Batwoman, but not Sub-Zero. It would be such a shame.

I'm very grateful for everything that has been released and everything that's coming, but if Sub-Zero and JLU aren't going to be released then I can't entirely disguise my disappointment.

Batman Beyond and even Teen Titans, on the other hand, will probably be a bit easier to get over since they weren't part of the plan that was disclosed back in 2012 when BTAS Vol 2 was about to be released. Nevertheless, Teen Titans remains a 'dream release' that I'd love to see someday.

19. Splinter

Splinter Well-Known Member

Not surprising news but still disappointing to hear. I never thought the DC DTV soundtracks would end up being big sellers since it seems like they would appeal to much a small amount of people. I purchased nearly every single DC soundtrack release to support the line. It is extremely disappointing to hear that JL and Superman TAS didn't sell well. Those deserve further releases. I am glad La-La will finish out BTAS and its related releases, which I hope includes all the episodes, including TNBA and the Sub-Zero movie. I guess these means there's no chance of a Beware The Batman soundtrack, which is a shame given how amazing that score was. I am thankful for every single release they did though and think they did a fantastic job.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, thinking how old B:TAS is and only now we're got soundtracks -- I'm hopeful LLL will return to the rest in a couple years.

• Agree Agree x 1