1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs on Twitter and Facebook!
    Go here to Follow Us and RT on TWITTER
    Go here to Like our page and Share the Giveaway Post on FACEBOOK
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

DC Comics Animation - Music News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Skelly

Skelly Member

I assume the Young Justice release similarly did not sell as well as it could have, which is why a second volume has never been announced?

I know the release was a 'best-of' for the entire series, and that not everything can and should warrant the release of a second CD, but that show may very well be my favorite work of the Dynamic Music Partners, and it'd be a shame if so much of it were doomed to never see the light of day.

2. DJMcNiff

DJMcNiff New Member

MV Gerhard posted on FSM that the STAS box set will be on sale tomorrow for $40, as part of a Batman v Superman sale. He also stated that at that price the box set will be cheaper then wholesale.

I wholeheartedly recommend to anyone who has yet to buy it, that if possible, take advantage of the sale and buy the STAS box set. Great music (IMHO) and S10 a disc = (again IMHO) a win-win.

The way I see it, more copies sold can only better the chances of a second volume (and hopefully a second volume would lead to more).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

How tragic that won't see anymore S:TAS volumes. That was undoubtedly some of the team's best work and deserves to be heard. As always, the show suffers from the middle-child syndrome, never truly getting the attention or recognition it deserves. Regardless, La La Land should be very proud of the work they did with S:TAS.

On a much happier note, I'm delighted at the news of B:TAS Vol. 4 and Arkham Archives. I will definitely be buying them immediately in the hopes for more.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Riddler

Riddler Member

It would be a real shame if we never get more S:TAS! I hope it sells a lot of units in the sale. The set has a TON of incredible music! HIGHLY recommended if you have not already picked it up.

Thank goodness the B:TAS volumes continue to sell well though. My most wanted set is definitely the remaining episodes from The Adventures of Batman and Robin.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

This is why we need to try and make sure that Batwoman and BTAS Vol 4 sell well - to increase the chances of releases for Sub-Zero and Adventures of Batman and Robin! They deserve to be successful on their own merits, of course, but it's important to remember that the sales figures are a big deal.

And yeah, I hope those who haven't yet picked up the STAS release lend their support to it.

6. John Takis

John Takis Member

We want nothing more than to continue to produce these DCAU releases -- and so long as the licensing deals continue, and they sell well, we can. If you don't have SUPERMAN: TAS yet, don't wait! I'm as proud of that set as any of the BATMAN releases, and I'd dearly love to do another one. Just magnificent music.

Hope everyone enjoys the heck out of BATWOMAN, and that it makes the wait for BTAS, VOL. 4 a little more bearable!

7. Splinter

Splinter Well-Known Member

I'm really glad to hear BTAS VOL. 4 is coming and even though I'm not a big fan of the music in Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman I'm picking it up anyways to show some support in the hopes we get Sub-Zero and maybe a proper Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker score release. My copy of Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman is already in the mail coming my way. I hope we're getting more DC soundtrack releases this year outside of Batwoman and BTAS Vol. 4!

8. John Takis

John Takis Member

• Like Like x 2
  9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

10. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

WaterTower Records is set to release The Music of DC Comics: Volume One in July 2016, which will include music from some of the company's animated offerings. DC Comics has all the details.

12. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

The Dynamic Music Partners' concert in Krakow was sensational! I feel so fortunate that I was able to attend. Here's a run-down of what was included.

• Scooby Doo: Mask of the Blue Falcon suite.
    • Batman: The Brave and the Bold suite (including Aquaman's theme, Green Arrow's theme, the gangster theme from I think Chill of the Night and the action theme from a couple of episodes - I remember it being used in Game Over for Owlman).
    • Return of the Joker suite conducted by Kristopher Carter. This blew me away. Featured the main theme (stunning), Terry's journey to the Jolly Jack candy factory, Terry finding Bruce at the manor after Joker's attack, the bit where Tim is revealed as Joker Jr, Joker's demise in the flashback, the entire Terry/Joker showdown (awe-inspiring!) and probably more that I'm forgetting.
    • Suite conducted by Lolita Ritmanis. Featured the Justice League main theme (hearing this performed live was incredible), the Mystery of the Batwoman main theme, and instrumental versions of Drives Us Bats and If Only (which was touching).
    • Suite conducted by Michael McCuistion. Featured the Justice League Unlimited main theme, music from Sub-Zero (Nora's theme, and the epic Batman and Robin theme that was written specifically for this film), music from the final scene of Wild Cards (breathtaking), and if I'm not mistaken, the music from the final scene of Destroyer.
    • Superman suite Part 1, showcasing the work of Lolita Ritmanis. Music from Little Girl Lost, including the journey through space at the beginning, the 'Kara Flies' theme and the music from the end of the two-parter. Also, the 'Krypton explodes' theme from Last Son of Krypton part 1.
    • Superman suite Part 2, showcasing the work of Kristopher Carter. Pretty much all Apokolips Now!, I think, so it included Shirley Walker's Darkseid theme and music from both episodes, including the part where Orion explains New Genesis and Apokolips to Superman. The entire finale and funeral scene were covered as well. Very moving and powerful.
    • Superman suite Part 3, showcasing the work of Michael McCuistion. It featured Last Son of Krypton part 2, I think (Clark Kent's origin in Smallville) and lots of cues from In Brightest Day (including the themes for Green Lantern and Sinestro).
    Basically, it was wall-to-wall awesome. I loved it! :)

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Skelly

Skelly Member

6/1: How lucky it was for you to be able to go!

I suppose there was no mention of a recording being available in the future? The Return of the Joker suite in particular would be a lot of fun for me to hear.

6/2: La-La Land will be relasing the DMP's score to The Killing Joke as part of their slate of Comic-con premieres.

Mod Note: Double Post Merged

#73 Skelly, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2016
  14. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

I don't think the concert was recorded, sorry.

The Return of the Joker suite was indeed spectacular. Parts of it sounded a little bit different to the original soundtrack (though maybe it was just my ears) since the score was being translated into an environment where there was little in the way of electronic instrumentation. But it was stupendous all the same.

15. James Harvey

The forthcoming Music of DC Comics: Volume Two compilation release contains 'The Ballad of Batman" from Batman: The Brave and The Bold, among many other tracks from DC Comics' animated projects, but that track alone is worth the $11.99 MSRP. Music of DC Comics: Volume Two will hit physical and digital retail outlets on July 15th, 2016.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

I thought some of you might like to see this! It's a behind-the-scenes look at the Dynamic Music Partners' recent concert. You'll hear quick snippets of music from Apokolips Now, Sub-Zero and Return of the Joker, as well as the Justice League theme.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. -batmat-

-batmat- Active Member

Got chills listening to those scores!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Skelly

Skelly Member

Indeed! I wonder if the whole concert was recorded. It would be quite nice if more footage were released of it sometime...

19. James Harvey

La-La Land Records has released its SDCC 2016 booth and release plans and, suffice it to say, there are a few surprises. Click on the image below for a closer look!

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Riddler

Riddler Member

BTAS Vol. 4 AND Justice League!!!!!! As someone who loves these DCAU soundtracks, I couldn't be more excited. :D

Wonder how many discs on the JL soundtrack?

• Like Like x 1