DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 9 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Apr 23, 2017.

1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Syfy Wire has excerpts from the NYCC 10th Anniversary panel interviews:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

Sounds like Burt being Burt, trying to secure some future gigs for himself. Needless to say, his comments have not received a warm reception on the internet.

I honestly think they should just leave it alone (for now). You can't just replace Adam and expect to capture the same magic. Time to move on to other things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #143 Pfeiffer-Pfan, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  4. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

I don't think the reviews of the film have turned up online yet.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

5. Pfeiffer-Pfan

I'm specifically talking about Burt Ward's comments.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. AdrenalineRush1996

Oh, sorry.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

I didn't think that was clear in your previous post either. But it's all good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Edited for clarity.

• Like Like x 1
  9. itay

itay New Member

[Added by Mod: when a new animated batman movie coming out]??

Mod Note: One rule here is a post must have at least a 3 word sentence. I added the question in your thread title. Your thread has been merged to the General Animated Feature thread because it's more pertinent here than an individual thread.

#149 itay, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2017
  10. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

When isn't one coming out? ;)

Batman vs. Two-Face will be available for download this coming Tuesday, October 10. The Blu-ray and DVD will release on October 17.

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight should be out in early 2018.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

If they are remaking Superman Doomsday, I think they should remake Crisis On Two Earths, and use the original JLU script with John Stewart and Static. Bring back the original voices, and make it DCAU. And don't change ANY of the script, so there is no bad language, and it's rated PG. I would MUCH rather have World's Collide done right instead of a new Death of Superman.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. EmaHalJordan

EmaHalJordan Well-Known Member

bored! We want Green Lantern, Hawkman, Dr.Fate, New Gods!

and if they just want to sell Batman movies, let them be team-ups!
    Batman/The Atom, Batman/Spectre, Batman/Green Lantern, Batman/Green Arrow, Batman/Mr.Miracle......

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd rather see a Wonder Woman '77 movie set in the same canon as Caped Crusaders and vs. Two-Face then have the 4th one be WW meeting Nightwing and Batgirl (i.e. their separate investigations lead them to a cross over). Write off Bruce as retired and keep the movie away from Gotham. Basically the same idea as one of those '66 comic story arcs.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The only reason I'd want to see a third '66 movie at this point, in-spite of Adam West's passing, is to see them do '66 Poison Ivy who was cut from the latest film (per the panel).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

You understand the primary thrust of the DC Universe line is and always has been to have adult skewed films meaning PG-13 and now R rated movies.

The past movies that had a PG rating were probably a fluke -- I don't remember off the top of my head right now which were. They don't make the movie thinking "Oh, this is gonna be a PG movie, this a PG-13, this a R movie." (yeah that sounds counter-intuitive/dumb/naive). But thinking along the production process of 'oh this is gonna make it R, this is gonna...' really hampers the creative flow. They make a story in the purest sense then edit from there when need be. They pitch, they get a greenlight, write drafts, get notes on what content stays or gets cut out, get an approved teleplay, board, record, send to animation, recuts, etc. Someone tells them if it has to be recut to get a certain rating. Someone else or a separate group, MPAA, rates the movie, they find out and so on until the release date.

Crisis on Two Earths was a good compromise because at that point early into the line's history the Powers That Be execs had invested into a new brand and there was no point in revisiting past shows, they wanted new material. Knowing the Timmverse was in frozen hibernation, they made the best of the situation and changed the visual design and a few story points like guest heroes but it's for the most part unchanged from the late Mr. McDuffie's original screenplay. It would never have been made any other way at that time. If they waited until like now to make it in the wake of Batman and Harley Quinn in the original style? Rather gauche with McDuffie having passed away for several years.

Yes, this Death of Superman two-parter seems like a total "George Lucas" revisionist move in the absence of context. We have to wait and see what led to this being greenlit.

PG movies will always exist in that unnamed line like the DC Super Hero Girls or Batman Unlimited in the past but again, that's new content not revisiting past series.

16. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Alls I know is that Crisis on Two Earths sucked by being adult oriented and out of the DCAU. It was a decent movie, but if it was a kiddie JLU flick, it woulda been great. I doubt Dwayne would object to an adaption done as he originally envisioned, especially because DC was the one to pull Static out of it.

17. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

That was always McDuffie's script though right?

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

18. AdrenalineRush1996

Oh, come on, live a little. Let me point that though the DCAU was aimed at kids, it also has a popular fanbase of teenagers and adults as well plus do you really want every DC animated DTV film to be rated PG? No and to be fair, there's no need to remake Crisis on Two Earths to be set in the DCAU. That's why the main purpose of the DC Universe line was to move away from just doing PG rated films to doing films that rated PG-13 and now rated R.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yes, it always was. He hardly changed the original script. For example, Luthor was on his book tour you see talked about in JLU's "The Return" and in CO2E, he's in jail reading. The line up Batman summoned for help changed a few times during CO2E's production. Hal for John. Mr. Timm is on the record here at TZ (and McDuffie elsewhere on his old forum and CBR I think) saying it's 95% intact.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Pfeiffer-Pfan

That sounds like a great idea. I'd be all for that. Wonder Woman '77 is definitely the next avenue to travel down no matter what.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2