1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 9 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

I have to say, this is a little bit underwhelming this year (even though they announced 4 movies overall).

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight - This is the one I'm most excited about as it simply proposes something different. Hopefully they have some great designs and an interesting voice cast. I'm also curious to see if this is Timm or Tucker led.

Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay - I can't say I'm crazy about their current shared continuity and if they dropped it all together I wouldn't be too fazed. Honestly, I would have preferred a sequel to Assault on Arkham if they were thinking of doing Suicide Squad again. Still, An original story is always welcome and I'm sure it'll be fun.

*As a side note, we seem to be getting less of Jason O Mara's Batman these days. I wonder if he'll pop up in this?

Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen - This seems a little weird to me. The DEATH portion of this storyline has been done literally to *death* and it isn't even a very good Superman story overall. The REIGN stuff is typical convoluted 90's comic book story telling that was designed to sell multiple issues and spin-offs.

What about doing Birthright or Superman of All Seasons as two parters?

It just feels like they are repeating themselves unnecessarily here. However, I'm still intrigued to see what they do with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Interested to see how Batman: Gotham by Gaslight turns out!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I suppose I agree... but I doubt they want to make a more faithful adaptation that has to fit in a pre-existing universe. I'll ask one of the DC animation producers on Twitter and see if they respond.

• Like Like x 1
    #103 Greg91, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  4. Marvel/DCfan

Marvel/DCfan Active Member

I guess we're not getting a justice league movie or teen titans movie for next year

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

@Otaku-sempai Gary Miereanu let me know that details will be revealed when the time is right regarding whether the Death of Superman movies are in continuity or not. If they are, it'll be interesting to see how they adapt the story more faithful in the shared universe and that gets me more excited for these two movies than I was when they were announced.

• Informative Informative x 2
    #105 Greg91, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  6. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

I guess that's the best we can expect for now. On a separate note, I am disappointed that we haven't yet learned more about Batman: The Caped Crusaders vs. Two-Face or any other DC Classics animated movies in the pipeline.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm...they seem to be deliberately vague about whether the two movies are in-continuity, though that's probably because if it is it would have definite implications on it as an adaption and an entry in the universe :ack:.

I know they seem to be going with it as a more "faithful adaption" compared to Superman: Doomsday, although after Judas Contract I don't think doing it in-continuity would need to prevent that. The only issue would probably be the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship, which this might give them the chance to finally, respectfully, end and then shift the focus to Lois :).

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I haven't looked for any articles about the Adam West tribute panels yet, but like some of us thought -- they're likely holding back until August like they did with RoTCC. I'm pretty sure we'll hear something around mid-August.

It's odd because the DC blog was pretty clear in saying the Suicide Squad one was the only one in-continuity. I don't like it when they jerk us around on that, similar to the Batman and Harley Quinn question. Just be out with it, lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Otaku-sempai

Hmmm. I might need to view the panel highlights when I have more time, but my understanding is that there was the point made that the Suicide Squad movie would be in-continuity, but not necessarily that it would be the only one of those named.

EDIT 7/24: Yeah, I reviewed the news item at DCComics.com and it did NOT assert what is claimed above. However, I cannot speak to what might have been actually said at the panel.

• Like Like x 1
    #109 Otaku-sempai, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  10. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

From the new titles announced for next year (and one for 2019), I think Gotham by Gaslight is the one I'm looking forward to the most. It's a pretty cool Elseworlds story and I am eager to see the character designs.

I'm not a huge fan of the Suicide Squad and wasn't that crazy about Assault on Arkham but I am curious to see how Hell to Pay will play out - fitting it into the New 52 Animated continuity, the team roster, etc. It might be fun.

Death of Superman and Reign of the Superman could be fun as well. If they're mentioning it will be more faithful to the comic than Doomsday was, I imagine it will be a stand-alone movie but I guess we'll see. But it's cool to have another Superman movie, it's been a while since the last one with his name in the title. And I also like this approach of doing 2-part movies (like The Dark Knight Returns a couple of years ago).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Following the Wonder Woman 2 announcement, I really hope DC has a new animated movie at some point so at least it comes out around the same time as the Wonder Woman sequel. Whether that's a Wonder Woman '77 Classic line movie or a brand-new Wonder Woman movie from their 2019 Animated Original Movies line-up, I hope they realized ahead of time that WW could use another push in the animation department with the 2017 movie coming up.

Seeing a Suicide Squad animated movie is great and it should interesting to see how it turns out. However, it does come off as... late following the summer hype for the 2016 movie and the diverse reaction that followed. It's too bad they work so far in advance because they can't tell what's going to change in the live-action movie department or if they want to tie into the releases.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

I would like to see a Wonder Woman movie in Bruce Timm's designs and with Susan Eisenberg voicing her again that would sell very well.

• Like Like x 4
    #112 dmxx116, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  13. Otaku-sempai

I think a Wonder Woman '77 movie under the DC Classics label has a good chance at a 2018 release. However, keep in mind that 2018 also marks the 80th anniversary of Superman's debut, so we might instead get a DC Classics movie relating to that (Adventures of Superman; the Fleischers' Superman; etc.).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    #113 Otaku-sempai, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  14. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Otaku-sempai

Might Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham work as a DC Universe Animated Movie? Or is it just too weird?

Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham
    3 issues, 48 pages each; collected as a 176-page graphic novel
    Plot: Mike Mignola & Richard Pace
    Script: Mike Mignola
    Penciller: Troy Nixey
    Inker: Dennis Janke
    Letterer: Bill Oakley
    Colorist & Separator: Dave Stewart

Yes, it's another Batman story; however, it is also an Elseworlds tale; it is told in three 48-page acts; it has a distinctive visual style; and it puts a new and unique spin on a number of familiar and iconic characters.

[​IMG]

EDIT, 8/24: For an 'out-there' Elseworlds story that isn't about Batman (or even Supermna), what about Wonder Woman: Amazonia? Also a relatively short tale, the story can even benefit from having some room to breathe.

[​IMG]

“In this Elsworlds Tale, Princess Diana leaves Paradise Island and journeys into "man's world" after being kidnapped by Steve Trevor and the royal marines—during the Victorian Era! Trapped in a more misogynistic world, Diana battles against the oppressive reign of King Jack!"

EDIT, 8/25: While we're at it, since it has been so difficult to get Death: The High Cost of Living made as a live-action film, why not as a DC Universe animated movie instead?

• Informative Informative x 1
    #115 Otaku-sempai, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  16. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Spotted on Amazon.com was this image showing the 30-movie 10th anniversary uberset packaging + some swag in the form of sketch art for the movie covers. Nice illustrations for the sleeves holding the 32 (!) discs too.

Oh, and coins with the trinity. Almost missed those.

Amazon's listing gives $299.99 MSRP for the physical set. For those who just want the movies and / or versatility, digital HD on its own is $99.99.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The talkback for the collection has a couple package shots, including the one above and a look at the back cover art. Official details on the collection, with pricing, should be rolling out soon.

[​IMG]

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

NYCC will also have a 10th anniversary panel on October 5
    DC Universe Original Movies 10th Anniversary

When: 4:15 PM - 5:15 PM
    Where: Main Stage 1-D
    Who: Bruce Timm, James Tucker, Alan Burnett, Jim Krieg, Kevin Conroy, Vanessa Marshall, John DiMaggio

Ten Years. Thirty films. Five shorts. And innumerable fan-favorite moments. Warner Bros. Home Entertainment celebrates a decade of animated DC Entertainment-infused films with an exciting panel – in conjunction with the release of the DC Universe Original Movies: 10th Anniversary Collection, a comprehensive box set of the films, shorts, dazzling new enhanced content and exclusive collectible items coming in Fall 2017. Join filmmakers and an array of popular voice actors for an entertaining look into the making of these popular movies. Producers Bruce Timm (Superman Doomsday, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns) & James Tucker (Justice League War, Justice League Dark) and co-producers/screenwriters Alan Burnett (Batman: The Animated Series) & Jim Krieg (Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox) will lead a panel discussion that will include actors Kevin Conroy (Batman and Harley Quinn), (Justice League Dark), John DiMaggio (Batman: Under The Red Hood), Vanessa Marshall (Justice League: Crisis On Two Earths) and possible other special guests. The DC Universe Original Movies: 10th Anniversary Collection will be available November 7, 2017 on Blu-ray.

19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's nice to see Burnett there despite his retirement :).

Though I won't be expecting much news after the last anniversary panel :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #119 Frontier, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  20. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

Yeah, this seems like a pure promotional opportunity. I doubt we'll learn anything we didn't at San-Diego.

Also, yikes at that price. I guess that makes my mind up.

• Agree Agree x 1