1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 9 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Maybe we'll finally get to see Susan Eisenberg voice Queen Hippolyta :rolleyes2:?

2. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but she says none Wonder Woman related. I personally wouldn't mind seeing her as a villain.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

That's not exactly what she said: "...not, y'know, Wonder Woman, but related to that universe''. So, all we know is that she's not voicing Wonder Woman herself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. the greenman

Well, I know that. I don't think she is doing another superheroine either or Hyppolytta. That's why I said I'd like to see her voice a villain. So what exactly is your rebuttal about?

5. Otaku-sempai

My point was that you might be being too dismissive. Eisenberg's role could actually be related to Wonder Woman. I do not think she would be voicing Donna Troy, but she might have been cast as Queen Hippolyta.

Sorry; I thought my intent was clear without having to spell it out.

6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

It felt like I took a punch to the gut when I saw Jay Oliva tweet he wasn't involved in any upcoming DC animated movies. So I asked for clarification and he stated the last movie he directed was Justice League Dark and the last movie he boarded was Judas Contract.

So it's Sam Liu and someone else for 2018 I guess...

• Informative Informative x 5
  7. #1 defender

#1 defender Member

Very sad to hear that. Sam Liu is also a really good director, but i love the elaborate martial arts choreographies and anime influenced sensibilities that Oliva brings to his action scenes. I suppose it might slowly be time for some new blood, but i hope JLD wasn't the last we've seen of Oliva in DC animation.

While he isn't exactly new blood, i always found it a shame that Joaquim Dos Santos never got a crack at a full DC feature, but i guess he might be busy working with Lauren Montgomery (another great loss to DC animation) on Voltron right now.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

A bit of a strange one. He makes it sound like he wanted to do more, but they simply didn't ask him/want him. A shame too, as he is one of the best they have at WB.

Odd that they wouldn't even ask for some storyboards from him. The line lost something with the departure of Lauren Montgomery and it will be a shame to lose Oliva long term as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. RoyThomasConan

Thanks for the info @Yojimbo. My sympathies for everybody who is bothered by this, but I really can't help being happy. Three films (four counting Caped Crusaders vs. Two-Face) without Oliva and no Spaulding in sight assures me that Warner Bros. are taking the negative responses and low sales into account and are grabbing more consistent storytellers. Happy to see them trying to clean house and hopefully James Tucker finds the time to direct a picture himself.

@ #1 defender, I too would love to see Dos Santos come back, and Montergomery especially. Her work was truely cinematic in a way that gave these direct to video cartoons a sense a legitimacy, and Dos Santos has a great frenetic style and understanding of these kind of characters and stories that Oliva definitely tried to ape. Glad to have Liu for now at least.

• Like Like x 1
    #89 RoyThomasConan, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  10. the greenman

I personally never liked the way the Studio used the same artists over and over again. That's why WB claims they wanted to get away from Timm's style. Eventually, they did but it didn't turn out well (remember Legion of Superheroes?). I think Montgomery and Dos Santos left WB for workplace politics. It took James Tucker nearly 15 years to get to some of his pet projects. The DC animation line shouldn't burn out the artists.

11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Fondly :anime:!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Looking back on it, the writing was on the wall with Oliva doing more and more live action storyboarding gigs at DCE and Marvel Studios. As well as, every couple of years, staff shuffles out and new faces shuffle in. The time of Superman vs The Elite, was a time of turnover that I recall off the bat. I will miss his style, especially the hand to hand fighting but best wishes for him and in my heart of hearts, there's a hope he could be working on YJ. lol.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Harlequinn

Harlequinn Joker's Henchman

Is there a panel for this weekend where we'll find out next year's film line up?

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I figured it was going to be the 10th anniversary panel yesterday but nope. So either tonight's Batman and Harley panel or the Twitterverse thru accounts like DC Comics or SuperPRGuy.

EDIT: It's being tweeted the next DC animated movies are:
    -Gotham by Gaslight
    -Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay
    -Two-part Death of Superman and Reign of the Supermen

• Like Like x 3
  15. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Here's confirmation for next year's movies from the DC Comics Blog:

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/0...n-gets-a-two-part-animated-movie?sf99907784=1

• Informative Informative x 6
  16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

So it seems only the Suicide Squad one is part of the ongoing continuity. Interesting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. TheGreatOne2

TheGreatOne2 Active Member

Hopelly WB will release a deluxe edition of Death of Superman and Reign of the Supermen combining the 2 parts together just like they did with the Dark Knight Returns

I am guessing WB will release Batman: The Caped Crusaders vs. Two Face in Oct/Nov after NYCC

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Otaku-sempai

Unless the Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen two-parter is folded into that continuity as was Teen Titans: The Judas Contract. Interesting that they are revisiting this story to remake it, arguably, as they should have done it ten years ago.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Wow. I don't know what to think. We're getting the first Superman movie since 2013 which is great! However it's another Death of Superman adaptation in two-parts. I don't have a special relationship to this story so I'll just wait until we see it to decide if I want to get it. Even then, I might want to wait for a Deluxe Edition.

We're also getting an in-continuity Suicide Squad movie. I really loved Batman: Assault on Arkham (ironically, I just wrote a blog about it), so if this movie is just as good, I'm in. It's also interesting to see the shared universe is only getting one movie and it's not Batman or Justice League. It's nice to see Suicide Squad can be in the title and WB likely isn't worried about the sales.

It's interesting that we aren't getting a Justice League movie next year. The last time that happened was 2011. As for no Wonder Woman, I'm guessing they're going to make that Wonder Woman '77 movie that was proposed.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Otaku-sempai

That might be an unwarranted assumption, Greg. We don't know yet if Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen will take place outside of the shared animated universe.

• Agree Agree x 1