1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 9 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Next year might also be a good time to unveil a Superman entry in the DC Classics line, maybe an animated film based on the Fleischer shorts (premise: What if Max Fleischer had made a Superman animated feature?). It's a bit disappointing that we didn't get a Wonder Woman '77 DC Classics entry this year (well, maybe next year if we don't get one for Supes); her 80-year anniversary doesn't come until 2021.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Yeah, I was thinking a Wonder Woman '77 movie would be next year, like Batman and Harley Quinn was made with Harley's popularity from last year's Suicide Squad in mind. Wonder Woman, Superman, heck Green Lantern, I'll take any of them getting their own movies in the DC Universe Animated Movies or DC Classics line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. EmaHalJordan

EmaHalJordan Well-Known Member

I have no problem with Batman! I love Batman! But how sad to know that we are going to have 3 Batman movies!

Does it really make a Batman movie more happy than a Crisis on Infinite Earths movie?

i want Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night, DC Universe Rebirth, Legends, Final Night, Hawkworld, JLI, Identity Crisis, Darkseid War, GL/AG, JLA/JSA, Aquaman, Atom, Wonder Woman, Flash, Teen Titans, Shazam, New Gods..... :(

4. Otaku-sempai

We don't know that. Chances are that one of the DC Universe animated movies for 2018 will be either a Justice League movie or a Teen Titans film. Granted, Batman might still be featured in it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

If we'll get a sequel to The Judas Contract next year, I think there's a chance Batman won't be in the movie just like he was nowhere to be seen in this year's Teen Titans feature.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it'll be interesting to see if we're really settling into a Justice League - Teen Titans dynamic as far as the movies are concerned, to replace the original Justice League - Batman dynamic :).

Of course, if Justice League Dark proved anything, it's that the movies are open to being...unconventional Justice League movies, given they usually center around a concept or group (Aquaman, the Teen Titans, DC's magic heroes) :cool:.

7. EmaHalJordan

When I say 3 Batman movies I do not mean those of 2018, I mean "Batman & Harley" "Batman and Two Face" and "Gotham by Gaslight"!
    Wonder Woman was the box office hit this year and in November we will see Justice League in theaters !!
    I expected a wider list, boot up with Batman is disappointing!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Otaku-sempai

That was not clear from your previous post. What do you expect? Batman is DC's most popular character; he is the money-maker. The Caped Crusaders vs. Two-Face is in a separate line (DC Classics) and will give us Adam West's final performance for DC Animation. I don't resent that one at all.

We will probably get a break from Batman as the star in the movie that follows Gotham by Gaslight. Cross your fingers and be glad that we recently got two in a row (Justice League Dark; Teen Titans: The Judas Contract) where Batman was not the main player (and didn't appear at all in the second).

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. EmaHalJordan

I do not mind either "The Caped Crusader vs Two Face", it bothers me "Gotham by Gaslight". After the great success of Wonder Woman at the box office and after Justice League in November I hoped to see a list of more varied animated films.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Otaku-sempai

We will probably have a better idea of what DC Universe animated movies to expect in 2018 after SDCC. In the meanwhile, it is true that Gotham by Gaslight is a Batman-centric film; however, it is also an Elseworlds tale set in a Victorian-era Gotham City. That must count for something in terms of variety.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. EmaHalJordan

Another thing I do not understand ...

Superman Doomsday (2008) $12,452,760
    Justice League The New Frontier (2008) $6,009,572
    Green Lantern First Flight (2009) $9,833,187
    Wonder Woman (2009) $7,501,968
    Justice League Crisis in 2 Earths (2010) $9,056,391
    Batman Under the Red Hood (2010) $11,040,221
    Justice league War (2014) $5,077,840
    Son of Batman (2014) $6,507,333
    Justice League Throne of Atlantis (2015) $4,081,377
    Batman vs Robin (2015) $3,841,130
    Justice League VS Teen Titans (2016) $4,128,444

Batman does not sell much more than the rest of the animated films. For the small difference I would choose to have the public more happy and offer more varied titles!
    And even use Batman who is the one who sells the most for some film of team up and give strength to another hero (Batman/Wonder Woman Hiketeia or Batman/Green Lantern Lords of Luck or Batman/Atom, Batman/Green Arrow, etc)

12. -batmat-

-batmat- Active Member

In an imaginary situation (that might have happened) after the success of Wonder Woman, if the crew were told to do a movie centered on WW, this might mean a WW movie in late 2018 or early 2019. Look how Suicide Squad pushed for a Harley Quinn movie and it's just about to be released now.

Batman is my favorite character and I don't mind movies about him, but I am also a DC fan and I want to see more things. Flash and Green Lantern mainly but other stuff, too.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Another factor we know of is the speed at which a title clears shelves in the first week of sales, and Batman kills it in that category. Stores want product to move as fast as possible and sit as little as possible.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I believe Tucker mentioned WB asking for or musing about a Wonder Woman movie, so that might happen sooner rather then later...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Correct. On October 8 last year, he confirmed a WW solo movie in one form or another is on WHV's radar. On October 12, also last year, a Wonder Woman '77 showed up as a choice on a survey during the Caped Crusaders screening On April 14, Tucker mentioned there are other plans to spin out other characters and hopefully do solo movies in conjunction with what the live-action movies are doing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

We're getting close to 2019. That would mean a SHAZAM solo should be coming soon.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Indeed. A lot of the core JL members are in dire need of solo animated films and animated series. Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam, Flash, and so on. There has been solo efforts through DC Nation shorts for Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Shazam, Plastic man and so on, DC Showcase for Green Arrow and Shazam, and some of the DTV movies under the Tucker era have given an Aquaman and Flash movie disguised as a JL movie -- but it feels like we're so close to bonafide solo animated films and animated series.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Otaku-sempai

The Warner Home Entertainment folks will also be looking at the performance of the re-release of the Wonder Woman animated movie, before deciding on producing a second one.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

Susan Eisenberg claims she is involved in ''an animated movie, not Wonder Woman, but related to that universe''. She discusses upcoming projects @17:50:

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Otaku-sempai

Well, we did see Donna Troy at the end of that Teen Titans: The Judas Contract movie. It's hard to make any guesses without knowing exactly what 'universe' she is referring to.

• Agree Agree x 1