1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 8 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

I think the Batman 66' isn't part of the main line of DC movies, probably like Batman Unlimited and the Lego movies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

Yeah, that makes sense. There's an awful lot to keep track of.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

OK, then that means we will more than likely get Mark Hamill back as he was the main advocate for this. Wonder who they'll get to round out the cast.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

Okay, this may not be of any importance right now, but I was just looking at my Blu-ray collection of the recent releases DC Animated Features lined up on my shelf, and I was admiring how they each have a character on the spine...

Batman on Son of Batman
    Robin on Batman vs. Robin
    Harley Quinn on Batman: Assault on Arkham

Cyborg on Justice League: War
    Aquaman on Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
    Wonder Woman (Bekka) on Justice League: Gods & Monsters

And I was just thinking about who would be featured on the spine of the upcoming releases --- possibly?:

Batwoman on Batman: Bad Blood
    Superman or Nightwing on Justice League vs. The Titans
    The Joker on Batman: The Killing Joke

I think we definitely need to have Joker on the spine of The Killing Joke, if only to complement Harley on the spine of AoA.

Missed opportunity: The Flash should have been on the spine of Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox

#165 Bat-Fan Beyond, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  6. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

So, since James Tucker's directing Vixen, I wonder if he's part of the Batman 66' movie (my gut says a definite yes, but with Vixen and the other main DC movies says otherwise).

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

10/8: James Tucker confirmed only weeks ago, Bad Blood was finished and the rest of the 2016 slate is also in post production and the crew is already in preproduction for the 2017 slate.

10/15: Interesting bit from Tucker:
    I figured JL vs. Titans might be the big crossover movie but perhaps he's alluding to the showdown with Luthor's team or truly something inspired by a 'Crisis' comic event.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. the greenman

I think he's alluding to a 'Crisis on Infinite Earths' kinda deal. Even if the film and live action series don't go there, the animated dtvs can. The animation crews are doing a great job of replicating older animation art styles.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I figure Justice League vs. The Titans will probably be the first real crossover between the Batman movies and the Justice League movies, since Dick's likely going to be in it and maybe Damian if they want a Robin, but I think it's a fair bit milder compared to what Tucker and co. have in mind when they namedrop a "Crisis."

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

10/23: From Ed's transcript of the NYCC roundtables
    -Jay Oliva keeps pushing for a Batman: Game of Death movie, he would adapt Arkham Asylum: A Serious Place on a Serious Earth.
    -A year passed since Oliva worked on Bad Blood. He's working on his next 2 movies.
    -Oliva musing about hypothetically using Tim Drake was intriguing.
    -James Tucker says they are figuring out the 2018 slate and working on 2017 slate

11/2: Tucker confirmed there are plans for solo movies about characters other than Batman. :)

11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

A solo movie about a character other then Batman would be really refreshing, especially after the barrage of Batman moveis we've been getting as of late. Really nice to know about these plans :D.

The likeliest candidate for a solo movie would probably be Superman, or Wonder Woman to tie into her DCEU movie, maybe even a Flash movie after the success of his live-action show :cool:.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Totally. Agreed.

Yes, Superman was alluded to before by Tucker at Wondercon 2015 in an interview. There is also a lot of love for Red Son among the DTV crew.

13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm...so the solo might fit into the Elseworlds movie spot?

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Maybe. I'm up for either, in the ongoing canon or one of the non-canon movies. Gods and Monsters hopefully proved to the bean counters at Warner that Elseworlds movies can work.

• Like Like x 1
  15. the greenman

I'm all for a Superman: Red Son film. Outside of that, I wonder if they can do Arrow: "Longbow Hunters". That was really the only GA comic I read because of the acclaim. I can definitely see them doing a Flash solo, but wouldn't mind them doing "Crisis on Infinite Earths".

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Was watching a recording of the NYCC roundtable with James Tucker and he did throw some hints for the 2017 slate (begging worked!) at the 4:45 to 5:-54 mark. Something to the effect of 'a character will appear who is a fan favorite who had good exposure recently but didn't quite work out will resurface. The two in continuity movies for 2017 will be fairly original. There are one to two more adaptations they want to do but have to be reimagined for this ongoing continuity and timeline.'

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder who that could mean? Especially when "fan-favorite" can be subjective...maybe Firestorm, considering he's been very prominent on The Flash? Or The Atom with his presence on Arrow?

Vixen's already had her web-series so I don't think she'd count.

18. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Member

Just throwing this out here, not sure if they'd use him for animation, but what about Constantine? He is a fan favorite, and he got exposure through his TV Series, which was cancelled and so didn't work out.

• Like Like x 1
  19. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think Green Lantern had a lot of exposure and neither his live-action movie or animated series really worked out, but that wasn't exactly recently.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

Not a bad guess and since this would be for a DTV, they'd probably be able to do more with Constantine than if it was a TV show on a kids network.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.