1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 8 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan I Will Find Him!

Its gotten boring hasn't it?

The problem is the Batman ones make the most money but they need to foresee eventually people are going to get bored of Batman if they continue to ram him down our throats constantly. I think a good way to shake things up would be for Batman to team up with other heroes, they surely have to do a Superman/Batman on in time for the new film. They should do a JL International film, they can always stick Batman's name on the title.

I still think the Superman ones would have done better if they'd done better designs for Superman vs the Elite, don't get me wrong the film was incredible but some people were really put off by the designs. I think that put some people off future Superman releases personally. I'd actually be happier if they just made Justice League ones from now on.

Fingers crossed they start shaking things up, I don't want Batman vs Robin to do poorlyas a poor sale could be disastrous for any future films not just Batman ones but if it were to not do aswell maybe they could look to other things.

2. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I get Batman = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. And that's most likely the bottom line. But maybe WB/DC should stop using previous and recent Batman numbers as the default for their performance expectations regarding other characters (which I honestly believe they are doing, and have been doing for years).

The plus side though, since there's so much BATMAN already in these animated films, eventually they are going to run out of BATMAN things to adapt where they'll have no choice to do other characters. Supposedly we're getting an animated adaptation of The Killing Joke. Generally, yes there's still plenty of Batman stories left to adapt. But the WORTHY ones are going to be few and far between at this point. I expect 2016 to be filled with Batman for obvious reasons. The Killing Joke (if it happens) will be one of them. I'm thinking their Superman/Batman movie to coincide with Dawn Of Justice will be "Hush" (a BATMAN story, and if it isn't "Hush" it's still going to be a Superman/BATMAN story from somewhere), and the last release will be a Justice League movie, but centered around one specific character/hero where the film could have that character's name in the title instead of "Justice League". Also supposedly there might be Superman: Red Son at some point. BUT, you guessed it, BATMAN is in that story too.

3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Why would a Superman/Batman movie involve Hush? That's traditionally a Batman solo adventure, and while Superman does show up in it, it's only briefly so giving him top-billing would kinda feel like false advertising :ack:...

Heck, there are still some Superman/Batman stories that they haven't adapted, not to mention the ones from the New 52 series. Either they could make it in-continuity, because so far it looks like the friendship between this Batman and Superman still has a ways to go, or bring back Tim Daly and Kevin Conroy for a Superman/Batman film as one of the out-continuity films and in time for the live-action movie :).

And I doubt they'll run out of material to make Batman movies out of. He's currently got an ongoing that's getting good mainstream attention, and introduced the Court Of Owls, and his own weekly telling an epic-esque story. And if not that, then they could probably use him as a springboard to sell other characters, like Assault on Arkham, which would be wholly original.

Mod Note: Posts #99 to 103 were moved from Gods & Monsters to this thread where it was on topic and more appropriate to continue anyway.

#103 Frontier, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2015
  4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Found a podcast interview with Heath Corson from January I think. Really good discussions, learned a lot about him, how he got involved in the movie line, and behind the scenes stuff with mostly War, 1 hour 40.
    Out of the Blue: Ep. 52: Heath Corson

Rough overview of what he talked about

5. #1 defender

#1 defender Member

Thanks for the link, that was a great listen! Very insightful on the DC Animated side of things and i loved the story about him moving to L.A. and how the whole thing ended.

6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

You're welcome! I can't believe they were they were almost going to cut the Flash from War. The more I hear about Corson's JLI pitch the more I want to see it. The TV show idea was pretty intriguing. The whole argument it would have diluted the line is moot since Bruce Timm's got that JL: Gods & Monsters movie this year. Surprised to get resolution with why he appeared on that Superman Unbound featurette, lol. That moving story was pretty awesome all said and done. I think I remember a similar story in the national news a few months ago.

7. Hero Supreme

Hero Supreme Mr Jinx No More

So is Justice League vs Dinosaurs a real thing? (@42:25 and also mentioned later)

8. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

The fact that he says he can't talk about it, would indicate that it is indeed a real thing. It's most likely connected to the Batman Unlimited DTV line, in some capacity.

I saw it on Kevin Conroy's IMDb at some point, but it has since been removed.

9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

10. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

So, what exactly could this mean? An animated version of Batman '66? If they can adapt Mike Allred's style, then I'm with it. Maurice LaMarche for Egghead folks.

11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

A movie based around the original live-action Batman TV show? That has the potential to be the funnest DC Animated movie yet, especially with Adam West and Burt Ward back :D.

12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Could be. Could not be. I'm fairly sure they weren't supposed to mention it but they're Adam West and Burt Ward. It's similar when Kevin Conroy mentioned Flashpoint Paradox before it was announced.

I think it might be what Andrea Romano alluded to last year at NYCC, where she said she got two actors she'd be pursuing for the past 10 years.

It could be just what the DCU line needs - a fun Silver Age story in opposition to these bloody and violent 'modern' movies.

13. the greenman

^ I wonder if they can get Julie Newmar. She did an ep of Batman: TBATB a couple years back.

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

It's possible. I admit I'm that up on who is still alive from that cast. Yvonne Craig? John Astin?

15. the greenman

I know John Astin (The less memorable Riddler) is, and still doing the convention scene. Not sure about Craig.

16. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

I am beyond thrilled at this news. A Batman '66 animated movie, starring Adam West/Burt Ward and produced by James Tucker? Can't ask for better than that.

There are only 6 main cast members still alive today:

- Adam West (Age 86)
    - Burt Ward (Age 69)
    - Yvonne Craig (Age 77)
    - Julie Newmar (Age 81)
    - Lee Meriwether (Age 79)
    - John Astin (Age 85)

Beyond Adam and Burt, the only two I could feasibly see coming back are Newmar and Meriwether. Although, I do think Newmar's voice sounds very elderly these days, so I doubt she could pull off Catwoman again.

17. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Look, this will no doubt be one of the best DCU movies. I'm excited for this, I really really am. BUT can we please get something that is NOT Batman, has NO ties to Batman, or DOES NOT HAVE Batman in it? I'm thinking this movie might be the winter 2016 release (the show premiered in January 1966), so the possible upcoming schedule is Batman VS Robin, Justice League: Gods and Monsters, and Batman 66. If they're just going to keep making Batman movies, just change name from DCU Animated Original Movies to Batman Animated Original Movies.

Arrow will be in it's fourth season and The Flash will be in it's second by the time we're done with this slate of Batman movies, maybe If they're going to do someone else, just do a Flash or Green Arrow movie???

All that said, I think that lost/unfilmed Two-Face episode would be worthy of adapting for this movie.

#117 rggkjg1, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015
  18. tenderheartbear

tenderheartbear Active Member

I'm loving this news.

To this day, as much as I've loved the Keaton movies and to a lesser extent the Bale ones, Adam West is, to me, still the live-action Batman to which all others are compared. A bit like how Christopher Reeve is still Superman and Lynda Carter is Wonder Woman.

I saw the '66 series in the UK when I was around 3-4 and that was what got me into Batman in the first place. I remember buying Batman The Movie on VHS in around 1985 (placing a special order for it at WHSmith). I obviously had the old Corgi Batmobile as a child and with the new resurgence in popularity, have finally been able to collect as many Batmobiles as I can, and a lot of the '66 toys too. I got married in 2013 and we had the '66 Batmobile as our wedding car, much to the surprise of our guests (the girls didn't it, but the boys thought it was fantastic). We were followed by people taking photos (annoying but understandable). I bought the Blu-ray set last year and pretty much watched it all over a 2 week period!

Basically, I love the show and have high hopes for this DTV. It would be great perhaps if it was an animated version of a story that was written at the time but never made, the Two-Face story maybe? I hope it uses the TV show credits, but re-animated in whatever style the movie is done in. Still, whatever they do, I'll be happy hearing West and Ward together again.

19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I guess I'll have to stress again, it isn't confirmed to be a Batman '66 movie. West and Ward only said they did voice work for an animated Batman movie set for 2016. The rest of the original article was speculation. That said, yes, it would be really cool if it is a Batman '66 movie. It's something that could be the third slot-separate canon movie. We'll know the 2016 slate after SDCC this July, until then it's up in the air unless someone spills the beans by accident.

Remember Kevin Conroy reprised Batman twice recently in Flashpoint Paradox and Assault on Arkham but that turned out to be a limited role and it wasn't as the main cast.

20. Hero Supreme

Hero Supreme Mr Jinx No More

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.