DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 8 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -batmat-

-batmat- Active Member

Wow. How can JL: War and Assault on Arkham have better ratings than these movies I copied there. I'm in shock to see how many people are loving Assault on Arkham.

2. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

The sample size is small enough to justify the rating. Not to mention the film was officially released days ago.

3. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Just this guy's opinion, but I generally dislike the anthology format in comparison to a more standard, straightforward movie. Emerald Knights was okay, but the lack of cohesion from story to story killed the momentum of the "movie," and I got tired of the jumping around after maybe the third segment. Gotham Knight feels even more jumbled and less organized, and save for a few I found the segments to be less enjoyable in general due to story and animation concerns. Superman vs. the Elite probably would've scored higher with better overall aesthetics. It, by far, feels like the most cheaply made movie. You get used to the look, but the opening scene and the musical theme set the tone for the worst. Also, as I've mentioned other times, even the movie's character designer seemed a bit disappointed with the look.

Still, I find it alarming that the recent movies scored so highly in comparison. It almost doesn't compute in my brain.

Edit: I added IMDB scores to the first post, in case you're interested in seeing it.

#63 BigFatHairyDeal, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2014
  4. -batmat-

-batmat- Active Member

Well, that was just the movies I had enjoyed much more than War and Arkham, obviously, just my opinion on them. Superman Vs The Elite is my favorite Superman DTV so far and I really enjoyed Emerald Knights, I had little knowledge about the general Green Lantern Corp so, I see how someone already knowing about Mojo (for example) would find his short not that entertaning, but it was one of my favorites.

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

6. BreakAbone

BreakAbone Member

7. Nightwing26

Nightwing26 Active Member

When I read special, I immediately thought you were referring to the TTGxYJ crossover...
    But this seems totally different...
    Are we getting a new Target exclusive DTV like JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time? A new DTV in the regular series based on the New 52? What if we're getting that Judas Contract movie finally? Of course, it could just be a regular DTV that is "in-continuity" with TTG (you know what I mean) and is part of the series, but the higher-ups are just being weird about voices for some reason.

8. Hero Supreme

Hero Supreme Mr Jinx No More

No idea what this is, but if it is an "original" DTV like Judas Contract, it probably should be recast. If its in continuity with TTG, it would be odd if they wanted to recast.

9. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Does sound interesting. If he says replace, meaning maybe they were signed on then dropped. If it's brand new, cool. Judas Contract, double cool.

Either way, seems like new TT specific animation.

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

My immediate guess is this is just another Target exclusive DTV like JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time that's in its own continuity. If that's the case, I have no problem with a different cast being used. You really have to take what an actor says lightly compared to a press release or producer or director, etc.

11. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

Very weird... but I imagine that Kevin Michael Richardson and the cast picked things up wrong. If it WAS a DVD special of Teen Titans Go! then WB would have no real reason to recast the parts.

It's more than likely that the characters are appearing in an upcoming, unrelated DVD (Be it a DC Universe product or Target exclusive) and therefore needed new actors. If it's out of continuity with the CN show, then the cast really can't complain.

12. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I thought up another possibility. What if they're finally going to release the DCNation shorts to dvd (including the unaired New Teen Titans), and they changed voices on some of those?

13. AQVXZ11

AQVXZ11 Member

It would be great if DC decided to animated their legendary arcs like Final Crisis and Infinite Crisis. I wonder why they haven't? I just read the novelization of Infinite (should have read Final first, duh) and it seems like it would translate well into a movie. I bet it would sell very well, too. That, and stuff like Kingdom Come would be epic. They should split them into a couple movies each so nothing is cut out. What do you guys think?

14. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Infinite Crisis came out first, so it looks like you read them in the correct order.

15. AQVXZ11

AQVXZ11 Member

Really? Then is there a third Crisis? Infinite kept making references to a previous Crisis where the Anti-Monitor was the main threat and where Barry Allen died.

16. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

There was Final Crisis.

Adapting the Crisis films would be interesting if there was time placed into telling the storylines in an appropriately lengthy amount of time. The thing is, these films are meant to be mostly one-and-done so that the lowest common denominator can watch the films without feeling confused.

17. Toddman

Toddman Hulk not good with words.

Infinite Crisis was referring to Crisis on Infinite Earths from 1985-86. That's the story that merged the DC multiverse into a single universe and featured the Anti-Monitor and the death of Barry Allen (and the original Supergirl).

Toddman

18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, that's not exactly true. At least the Justice League movies are in the animated New 52 movie and are building off of each other, if Thrones of Atlantis is any indication. It's probably also going to be true for the in-continuity Batman movies as well.

19. TheGreatOne2

TheGreatOne2 Active Member

It would be good if WB Animation makes dc animated movies for the kids as well so the kids do not miss out. At the moment they are only making dc u movies for the adults only, What does everybody think of this?

20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, JLA Adventures filled that gap. It would be cool if they made more a year. Likewise, I miss how the TV shows got a DTV movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.