1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 8 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I've always said they can do an Elseworlds feature with both Batman: Gotham by Gaslight and Superman: Red Son. WIth them doing Batman v Superman in 2016, it would make sense to do that. Neither story would have to be feature length about 30 minutes or so each.

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I think they've said both titles come up in discussions. But seems like the powers that be get nervous about adapting Elseworlds stuff. Flashpoint Paradox is a different beast - it was an AU timeline but it was all undone and restored back to mainstream at the end. Elseworlds stuff is just plain AU. Bean counters would probably be afraid of how buyers would react to these versions of DC characters.

3. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I understand Superman Red Son, but it remains his most popular Elseworlds story.

4. AQVXZ11

AQVXZ11 Member

I see, thanks. That helps me with the Robin thing but it's still weird to me that Batman has been working near total secretly for that long. I mean several years is much too long to operate undercover to the point where Green Lantern and Flash thought he was a vampire or something. I can see a year or several months but long enough for Robin to grow into an adult? Long enough for Superman and the others not to be required to work with him before now? Unless Superman and the others are just now breaking out like a few weeks ago or something, I don't buy it. And I don't think that's the case. It's the same thing with the cops; how many times has Batman stopped Joker/Two-Face/Riddler/Mr. Freeze/Clayface from blowing up Gotham in that time? I know the police are corrupt and inept but so much so that they still hunt him after that many years of saving their butts?

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

7/15: Look at the Timmverse. B:TAS starts out with Batman in Year 10 in-universe. He didn't start working with anyone in the eventual JL until around Year 13-ish in the New Batman Superman Adventures - Superman. It's the same with another, both in War and the animates series Justice League, they didn't work with Wonder Woman until the League's first outing.

I don't know. It's probably misinterpreted on my part. Maybe until after War, police pursuit of Batman was something Commissioner Gordon had to go along with as a mandate from the powers that ebbed and flowed. Like comparing a B:TAS episode with Mask of the Phantasm. Like the string of Parademon kidnappings were on par with Phantasm's gang killings and some snooty D.A. in Gotham ordered Gordon to take excessive force in arresting Batman which leads us up to War with the helicopters confronting him and GL.

7/19: While searching for some info on the Creature Commandos short, I was looking at Color Stylist Pamela Long's LinkedIn page and noticed something relevant to this line of DTVs. It appears the next movie after Throne of Atlantis might be named Batman Vs. Robin. Long has been working on it since February 2014. I say might, because her resume uses the alternative name for Assault on Arkham - Arkham City. So this DTV might be named something else in the near future.

PAMELA LONG | LinkedIn

Naturally, the title oddly matches a Batman/Dick Grayson-Damian/Robin story. So other than the obvious, I think this is a sequel to Son of Batman like Throne of Atlantis is a sequel to War. Perhaps, this is the introduction of the Damian clones or Heretic.

EDIT: Guess they made Long edit her resume. Here's what it looked like when I saw it on the 19th. Click on thumbnail to see full image:
    [​IMG]

#45 Yojimbo, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2014
  6. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

I figured the second DCAU release would be a loose follow-up to Son Of Batman. The title sounds interesting, but I would need to refresh myself on that particular Morrison arc before coming to any conclusions.

What I will say is that this line is going to get very stale (or more stale) if they continue to adapt nothing but Johns and Morrison stories in the near future. Oh well, let's hope they announce the third DTV at Comic-Con this week.

7. Nightwing26

Nightwing26 Active Member

Well there was a 3-part story arc in Grant Morrison's "Batman and Robin" starring Dick as Batman and Damian as Robin. So... A very light adaption of that? Talia was central to the storyline, and characters like Deathstroke and The Joker showed up at various points, so the story may be manipulated around for Deathstroke and Joker to be play large roles, too. And, if there are plans to introduce Tim Drake, then he was a part of the opening of the arc as Red Robin as well.

8. -batmat-

-batmat- Active Member

Didn't Deathstroke died at the end of Son of Batman?

9. Nightwing26

Nightwing26 Active Member

I... Don't remember, lol. I actually don't remember the end all that well, only that somehow, Damian was able to beat him even though it made no sense at all for Damian to have been able to do so.

10. Lord Sidious

Lord Sidious Active Member

I am so done with Batman solo films.

im down for batman and superman films and or JL with Batman being the star but c'mon man!! Too much Batman!!

11. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Batmat posted:
    Damian left Slade alive and, thus, able to escape off-stage.

12. -batmat-

-batmat- Active Member

But didn't the hole place collapsed? I don't remember it very well, but I remember my girlfriend and I had a deja-vu for what Robin did with what Batman did to Ra's on Batman Begins. (I won't kill you, but I won't save you from death). But maybe he survived somehow? Could be...

13. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Yeah, that's sort of a superhero convention, though. Villain is left for dead, but body is never found... How many times did that happen to Joker alone in BTAS?

14. EmaHalJordan

EmaHalJordan Well-Known Member

Today was not the DC Animation panel? have not yet confirmed 2015 titles? ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿??????????????????????

15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Patience! It's only 30 minutes in. You won't hear anything until later tonight or tomorrow.

16. EmaHalJordan

I can not be patient, I have to go to sleep and I can not do it before you know the titles of 2015! :D

17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

18. EmaHalJordan

yyyyyeeeesssssssssssss!!! :D

19. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Transferring this discussion from another thread, as this one seems more logical of a destination.

Well, this got me curious. Rotten Tomatoes time! Seems like many of these movies had very few critic reviews, so I'm just going to go by reader score. EDIT: I'm also adding the IMDB scores

Superman/Doomsday - 57% (11,592 reviews) / IMDB 70% (9,962)
    Justice League: New Frontier - 71% (5,914) / 71% (8,838)
    Batman: Gotham Knight - 69% (27,248) / 69% (16,065)
    Wonder Woman - 76% (8,016) / 73% (7,532)
    Green Lantern: First Flight - 70% (3,717) / 71% (7,872)
    Superman/Batman: Public Enemies - 67% (2,866)/ 72% (8,983)
    Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths - 72% (3,054) / 73% (9,499)
    Batman: Under the Red Hood - 92% (9,700) / 80% (21,706)
    Superman/Batman: Apocalypse - 63% (2,777) / 71% (10,509)
    All-Star Superman - 63% (1,597) 70% (6,569)
    Green Lantern: Emerald Knights - 72% (6,880) / 69% (6,183)
    Batman: Year One - 79% (3,294) / 74% (13,477)
    Justice League: Doom - 87% (4,793) / 74% (11,186)
    Superman vs. the Elite - 76% (1,884) / 71% (5,749)
    The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1 - 93% (6,744) / 80% (21,020)
    The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2 - 94% (4,266) / 83% (14,575)
    Superman: Unbound - 77% (2,073) / 66% (4,766)
    Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox - 93% (3,828) - 80% (10,018)
    Justice League: War - 80% (2,638) - 71% (6,696)
    Son of Batman - 73% (1,935) - 65% (3,162)
    Assault on Arkham - 81% (593) - 74% (2,515)

I guess my first reaction is that the user scores are nothing like I would've imagined, except I knew that Under the Red Hood was going to get a really good score. I've seen all of the movies except the two DKR ones, since I don't like that book and think it's overrated as heck, but throughout the most part, there's only tiny correlation between the reader scores and how I'd rank the movies.

There does seem to be a general uptick across the board of scores in recent years. If there's any accuracy to this at all (big "if," by the way), then fans seem pretty content with the new direction, and us old-timers here at Toonzone are in the minority. However, I think there's a lot of sampling bias now compared to the early years, though I can't prove that.

Mod Note: Here, moved it to an even more logical destination for you!

#59 BigFatHairyDeal, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2014
  20. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

I posted this on the wrong thread so here it goes again I think the early 90's Superman story Panic in The Sky would be a great Animated movie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.