1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 8 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So now we have an idea of what's going to be next year's out-of-continuity movie, which just leaves the question of the two in-continuity movies.

We're probably going to be getting another Justice League movie (a Justice League Dark sequel, perhaps?), though I wonder if we'd get another Teen Titans sequel so soon or if they might go for something else o_O?
    This feels like something it would fit in well in an Elseworlds Anthology film, assuming that were to ever happen mind you ;).

Heck, it would probably be a good opportunity to revisit the Gods and Monsters universe as well :anime:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

The idea of a Thomas Wayne Flashpoint Batman seems strange, not in the least because Flashpoint ended up being undermined by DC for Rebirth. I'm okay with more Elseworlds titles, but this idea feels like it doesn't fill any existing demand, and would be getting in the way of more popular ideas.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Does Watchmen really need an anmated adaption? Frankly, I think the live-action movie was as accurate as you could get with telling the story and I'm not sure what's to be gained from an animated version...

I wonder if they'll get the movie actors to reprise their roles?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

This may be in part based on the fact that DC is including them in their universe. So, maybe we'll see a two part film directed by Jay Oliva or something. Besides, the live action movie was pretty good, but could've been done better.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Otaku-sempai

My first thought was: could this be a hypothetical question? But that is not how it is worded on the survey. Personally, if we are going to see something like this, I would prefer an adaptation of Kingdom Come either as a two-part movie or a four-part OAV series.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

The octopus I guess? :p

• Like Like x 1
  8. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

WB is having another go at it with an R-rated animated version of the graphic novel (Still would prefer to see a 12-hour miniseries, but that looks like it won't happen ever).
    Mod Note: Some movies listed in previous Warner Bros. community surveys have been shown to not come about. Until the movie is officially announced, discussion can stay in this thread. Threads merged.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Hopefully it should be more faithful and borrow more visual cues from the original graphic novel, but other than that frankly, Watchmen is best left unadaptable.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Otaku-sempai

I would love to see the rest of this survey to see what else might be revealed by it and to get a better idea of whether this new Watchmen project is actually in development, much less production. Whoever leaked this initially is apparently in violation of a non-disclosure agreement that is part of the Warner Bros. A-List Community program.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #490 Otaku-sempai, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

True. For me, the thing is, Watchmen is better suited to be mined than to be adapted. They mine some trait or plot from the comic and make a diamond or more palpable story out it. For Watchmen, sort like what they did with JLU and the Cadmus arc (and also with The Authority), Green Arrow even ended with "Who watches the watchers?" or I'm stretching it but the flashback, imo, in Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker was a great mining of The Killing Joke.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

They hypothetically could incorporate some material from the Before Watchmen books...

• Like Like x 1
  13. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Also, The Incredibles.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  14. knightowl

knightowl New Member

What about the possibility of an in-continuity (with the current DC Animated Universe) Watchmen? I don't need to see an animated adaptation of Rebirth, but this could open up the potential of future stories like the upcoming Batman/Flash: The Button. Or animated Superman Reborn to introduce Jonathan Kent and the Super Sons.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I saw Teen Titans: The Judas Contract recently and I'm always so surprised how varied the reviews and responses are for these DC animated movies. Some people love them and some people are constantly disappointed or underwhelmed by them.

I don't think they're perfect but I don't think there has been one really poorly received movie (unless you want to count Batman: The Killing Joke's controversy). At the same time, many of the recent movies have received a wide variety of reactions rather than mostly positive or even mixed.

Why do you think that is?

16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's interesting. From what I've seen, the reception to Justice League Dark and Judas Contract has been generally positive, particularly for the latter, seeing them as some of the best of the animated movie line in a long while. But maybe I should just spread out my search for other opinions :sweat:?

I think some of it has to do with the shift from Timm to Tucker, and the new direction the animated movies have taken under the latter's tenure. Gone, for the most part, are the adaptions of classic and iconic storylines and in their place we've shifted towards a new continuity-driven paradigm that was initially based around the New 52 era of comics, which I imagine rubbed some people the wrong way.

It also probably didn't help that the initial outings for that continuity (Justice League War and Son of Batman) were not as strong as they could have been or when compared to past films in the line.

Now, obviously we're still getting adaptions in some form with the current direction, but in a whole new continuity that some people feel very lukewarm too even as the New 52 influences have lessened to some degree. But I think there is still a bit of a negative bias for some going into looking at the DC Animated Feature Line under Tucker even if the quality has, arguably, been steadily improving for the films (specifically related to their in-continuity movies).

And of course, personal tastes and subjectivity is going to play a big role in people's reactions to this film and their handling of the source material, characterization, or voice acting.

So I think that explains, to some degree, some of the mixed reactions people have to the current films, but I think JLD and JC have been moderately more well-received by comparison.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Otaku-sempai

Is there any DCE animation news out of C2E2?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Nothing to report I'm afraid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Otaku-sempai

That's too bad, especially since the focus at WonderCon was kept pretty narrow. Not much was said about upcoming projects.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #499 Otaku-sempai, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I imagine we might get more information or announcements about what's to come at the next Comic-Con, given the likelihood of Batman and Harley Quinn getting a premier there and that being the last film of the 2017 slate.

It would give them a good opportunity to announce what we can expect 2018 :).

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.