1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 8 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

So, should we expect all (three or four) of the DC Universe animated movies for 2018 to be Superman related? The year does mark the eightieth anniversary for Big Blue after all. And a DC Classics Superman movie would be nice.

Edited for factual error.

• Like Like x 1
    #461 Otaku-sempai, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  2. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Where do you 50? Superman came out in 1933. Nearly a 100 yrs. Wonder Woman is celebrating its 75th.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think we're probably going to see at least one Wonder Woman movie as part of promoting her in-time or after the release of the movie, especially given Tucker talked about WB pushing for or asking for one to happen.

Whatever form it takes is up to DC though...

4. Otaku-sempai

ERROR. ERROR. STERILIZE.

1933? I was in error (as you seem to be as well). Superman officially debuted in 1938 (of course) making 2018 his eightieth anniversary. Let's get past 2028 before we start discussing centennials.

But the point was the question of what would we like to see? Maybe include a movie focused on Lois Lane?

• Like Like x 2
  5. the greenman

I was always a fan of Jeri Ryan being Wonder Woman. Not sure if she's ever done V.A., but she certainly has a 'unique' voice.
    I don't know where I got 33. Anywho, no on Lois Lane. I do like the idea of doing either an adaptation of George Reeves 'Adventures of Superman' or Fleischers old school serials Superman. Maybe some kinda anthology film that showcases both of them.

#465 the greenman, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  6. Otaku-sempai

My Lois Lane idea was more in the vein of a DC Universe feature, but I could easily see a DC Classics entry as an Adventures of Superman (Superman '52) animated movie (as I posted about previously) or one expanding on the Fleischer/Paramount Superman shorts (Superman '41).

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

When asked if there's more R movies coming, Tucker (at Wonder Con) said

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I guess it'll really depend on the movie and what the creators want to go for, so a case-by-case basis pretty much, though I hope they don't feel the need to push things unless they feel they have to so we're not left with movies that feel edgy for the sake of being edgy rather then it complimenting the story :ack:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I highly doubt it. Maybe one will be focused on Superman. I like to be optimistic, but I don't see more than one happening. We haven't really seen WB tie-in their releases to anniversaries and movie releases lately. For anniversaries, 2014 featuring two Batman movies (Son of Batman, Batman: Assault on Arkham) during Batman's 75th anniversary. The last movie tie-in was for Man of Steel in 2013 with Superman Unbound. We haven't seen a Superman movie since. I hope we do see one soon.

If WB releases one DC Classics line movie a year and this year features the sequel to Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders, I'd hope a Wonder Woman '77 movie with Lynda Carter would come next before a Superman movie. We only have one Wonder Woman movie so far... :(
    Again, a Wonder Woman movie based on the Lynda Carter show would be great. I kind of doubt we'll see a WW movie as part of the DC Universe Animated Original Movies line next year. I could be wrong, but it would be a pretty late movie tie-in to me. Right now, the DCEU movie schedule is very fluid so planning any more tie-ins might not be the best idea if they want them out in the same year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

Batman: The Long Halloween would be perfect as a 12/13 episode special event on NETFLIX (or even some other provider, CW Seed)? It's so episodic that making it into a movie would be challenging. Still I'm all for it no matter what way they do it.

Frankly, I'm still amazed that this DTV line is as alive and healthy as it is. WB have gone all in with DTV's, when their competitors have taken a strong step back. It's the DC Classic line I'm most interested in at the moment, but I have a feeling it won't last long.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Take with a grain of salt, but at Wizard World St. Louis, Jennifer Carpenter revealed she's voicing Catwoman in an animated adaptation of Gotham by Gaslight. Haven't found a recording yet.

I agree, Long Halloween is better suited as a digital mini-series event than a single DTV. I'm not even all that sure two DTVs would be enough like with the case of TDKR.

• Informative Informative x 2
    #471 Yojimbo, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  12. Otaku-sempai

Well, Gotham by Gaslight, by itself, is too short to adapt into a feature-length animated film without expanding the story and possibly incorporating its sequel (Master of the Future) or elements of it. It would be a relatively simple thing to re-write the part of Bruce's fiance Julie to be Selina, substitute her for Julie's maid Maddie, or to introduce Catwoman as a new character to the tale (harlot-turned-burglar?). The two stories together don't come out to much more than 100 pages.

• Like Like x 1
    #472 Otaku-sempai, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  13. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

I want a Batman or TT movie without Damien, or if you do include him at least make him more likable; have him be more compassionate and patient and less rude. After all we already got a rogue Robin, remember?!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Huh. I guess we know what next year's out-of-continuity DTV is going to be. Wasn't expecting it to be Gotham by Gaslight :eek:.

Jennifer Carpenter as a Victorian-era Catwoman should be fun :D.

Well, not that Damian can't be compassionate, but given his character it's kind of hard to have those be his dominant characteristics :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

That's a bit of a concern on my part, given the lukewarm reception the extra story for the Killing Joke received. But it could be good. Or maybe we don't have the full story and it's the anthology format they've talked about doing with other famous Elseworlds stories.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think a lot of it would depend on the screenwriter.

I mean, I hold Timm accountable to some degree, but I think a lot of the issues with the original material in Killing Joke came from Brian Azzarello's pen. You can definitely feel his involvement in that production from the...liberties that were added to the adaption and how the story with Batgirl was handled :ack:.

But having a whole anthology of Elseworlds rather then a full-on Gotham by Gaslight movie would be really cool, both because I've been wanting to see DC release more anthology stories/movies and that it would resolve the likely complaints of DC delivering yet another Batman movie :sweat:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

This is just a rumor, but apparently two animated Batman movies are planned for 2019 and one of them will be The Long Halloween. Again, this likely isn't true, but I found it interesting since you mentioned The Long Halloween as an episodic event. If, by any chance, this rumor is true, they could take the All-Star Superman approach and adapt parts of the story.
    I'm glad they haven't stopped despite the lower sales. The fact that they've reached 10 years of these movies is fantastic. I hope the DC Classic line continues for a few more years at least.
    If this is true, it should be visually exciting at the very least. We've seen a few Batman adaptations so maybe we could see more Teen Titans: The Judas Contract situations than Batman: Year One, The Killing Joke and Dark Knight Returns situations. I know, I know, the same 'too much Batman' complaint, but adaptations of other characters' iconic stories would likely get better sales than new stories. Batman doesn't have that problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Otaku-sempai

An Elseworlds anthology is an intriguing possibility and an interesting approach for doing more DC Showcase material. It has been previously mentioned that Gotham by Gaslight would be well suited for a double-length Showcase short; it could easily anchor such an anthology just as Superman/Shazam! did for the previous collection.

On a different front, I think that I would want to see The Long Halloween done in two or more parts or not at all. I don't think that the story is amenable to condensation. I am reminded of the major complaint about the adaptation of All-Star Superman where one of the most popular and acclaimed sequences from the story (Superman and the suicidal girl) was left out of the movie.

• Agree Agree x 3
    #478 Otaku-sempai, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  19. TheGreatOne2

TheGreatOne2 Active Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. the greenman

If they were to do Elseworlds anthology, just give us Gotham by Gaslight and Superman Red Son. Both can be about an hour long.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.