1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 8 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

We haven't seen a mission statement yet for the DC Classics imprint and I don't know that the intention is only for animated films based on adaptations for television and (maybe) film. It does seem, though, as though these releases are meant to be family friendly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Has anyone thought of that syndicated 90's Superboy series? It would be interesting if they did something like that. I think the actor did a small v.a. on a animatic online somewhere.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Otaku-sempai

I wan't especially a fan of the Superboy t.v. series, but it is certainly a possibility. The same goes for the live-action Shazam! Saturday-morning series with Mentor (for Uncle Dudley) and the motorhome.

• Like Like x 1
  4. the greenman

Oh yeah. Alot of these would make good Showcase pieces. I don't know why these studios are making billions and DC pulled those Showcase, as Marvel pulled the One Shots.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Otaku-sempai

More ideas for DC Classics movies:

An animated movie based on an original Superman novel. Some suggestions:
    - The Adventures of Superman by George Lowther (1942; the first novel based on a comic book)
    - Superman: The Last Son of Krypton by Elliot S! Maggin (1978)
    - Superman: Miracle Monday by Elliot S! Maggin (1981)
    - It's Superman! by Tom De Haven (2005; a period piece set in the 1930s)

Adapt the original "Monster Society of Evil" story-arc that ran in Captain Marvel Adventures #22-46 (from 1943 to 1945).

An animated movie based on the Superman radio show.

Adapt a story from one of the Superman or Batman chapter serials or make a sequel to the Captain Marvel serial.

Edit: Possibly my most ambitious notion: A multi-part serial similar to CW Seed's Vixen animated series but structured more like the old chapter serials--cliff-hangers, deathtraps and all. It could team Superman (based on Kirk Alyn) with Batman & Robin (designed after either Lewis Wilson & Douglas Croft or Robert Lowery & Johnny Duncan) against Hugo Strange developing his Monster Men formula (for the Nazis or 'foreign powers'?); or Doctor Death and the Ultra-Humanite (Batman & Superman's first supervillains) might be working together. Supporting characters could include Lois Lane (based on the late Noel Neill), Jimmy Olsen and either Vicki Vale or Julie Madison. The whole thing could run for around 90 minutes and could be serialized on CW Seed before it is collected on DVD and Blu-ray disc. Taking a cue from Justice League Action, the individual chapters might be 11 minutes long.

• Like Like x 1
    #425 Otaku-sempai, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  6. Greg91

Greg91 Member

A movie based on a radio show? Now that's an idea! Personally, I'm not sure if we'll see anything based on print media from what they seem to be doing. Of course, I could be wrong, but I'm not sure we will be getting comic or novel adaptations. Hopefully DC will be more clear about their plans with these movies.
    I'm not sure if the Showcase shorts did well enough to justify the budget. I can't remember if that's the reason why they stopped, but for the One-Shots, it definitely seemed to be Marvel was stretching themselves too fine with no budget left for the One-Shots. So I'd like to see Showcase shorts again, but I'm not sure if will happen.

Just like we saw Team Thor, a short from Marvel after the One-Shots ended, we did see that Nightwing vs Robin short for Justice League: Throne of Atlantis. So perhaps we'll see some more, but I wouldn't be surprised if budget issues were the same reason the Showcase shorts stopped. I mean, DC animation is so spread out with shows like Justice League Action and Teen Titans Go, web series like Vixen and DC Super Hero Girls, and movies like the DC Universe Original Animated Movies and the DC Classic Movies. I can't blame them for the absence of new shorts with their movies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Greg91

Greg91 Member

Jay Oliva, Gary Miereanu, and James Tucker briefly spoke about a decade of DC Universe Animated Original Movies on Twitter. With their first animated movie of the year, Justice League Dark nearly out on physical platforms, it will be ten years of movies. More specifically September this year since Superman: Doomsday came out September 21st 2007.

On top of that, today is Bruce Timm's birthday as recognized by Batman voice actor Kevin Conroy. Happy Birthday Bruce Timm and thanks for all your animation work including the 10th anniversary of the DC Universe Animated Original Movies!

• Informative Informative x 2
    #427 Greg91, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, it's been 10 years? How time's flown :rolleyes2:.

To another 10 years for DC movies and happy birthday Mr. Timm ;).

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I still remember when I first bought Superman: Doomsday on DVD at a Blockbuster. It was literally on a whim, but I loved the film, and it's still one of my favorite DC DTV's. 10 years is a great run.

And a happy birthday to Bruce Timm. He changed the game for superhero cartoons, that's for sure!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. the greenman

10 yrs. . . wow. I think, at least their quality has been consistent as opposed to Marvel animated stuff. I knew Disney buying out them out was the death of good animated stuff from them. Kudos to WBA, and happy Bday for Mr. Timm.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

You know, after having watched Justice League Dark, and since this hasn't been touched upon at all, I'd actually like to see a DC animated movie tackle the themes of collateral damage and civilian casualties, and how the heroes and the people they protect cope with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

At the New York premiere's panel, one question was about Dr. Fate's helmet cameo and if he would appear. Oliva and Tucker joked he'll be in the second Justice League Dark if the first does well in sales. Tucker then made a cryptic comment, "He may show up sooner than that."

In a Q&A from NY, Tucker also cryptically teased Swamp Thing is part of some upcoming projects he can't talk about yet. Hm.

• Like Like x 1
    #432 Yojimbo, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  13. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

Kevin Conroy confirms he'll appear in an upcoming DTV movie:

This could be for Batman and Harley Quinn (meaning he has not been announced yet) or maybe a DC Classic movie (B:TAS/Batman Beyond)?

Speaking of Batman Beyond, Alan Burnett did state in this interview that he didn't want to discuss the character of Terry McGinnis as they are ''talking about him''. He sounded pretty serious. Fingers crossed.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

If the next movie starring Conroy is indeed, Batman and Harley Quinn, chances are likely they'll get Tara Strong once again to reprise her role. (and hopefully does a better job like she did in Gods and Monsters)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I'm betting this will be the Batman and Harley Quinn movie, since they would probably have been close to recording for that by now :).

Which I also imagine means Mark Hamill will be back as Joker, since they're usually a double-act these days ;).

Though that still leave the question of who they'll get for Harley...

Wasn't there talk about Terry showing up in Justice League Action? I wonder if that's what he meant.
    I haven't had a chance to hear her in JLA, but I think, with all consistent and numerous media appearances she's had voicing the characte,r that Tara Strong's improved and come into her own as Harley, even if she's still no Arleen Sorkin (obviously).

I think there's a good chance Strong will be Harley in this, but I personally wouldn't mind it :rolleyes2:.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

When in the interview?

17. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

16 minutes or so... fast forward until the image of BB comes up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. beyond94

beyond94 Member

Next year James Tucker and company need to do a original Superman animated movie and bring Tim Daly back. I feel that the heads of WB Animation are at a point of wearing Batman and Kevin Conroy out with his animated solo movies. Batman needs a break and hopefully in August 2018 they'll decide to do a Superman animated story with a good story with Lois Lane (Dana Delany) and Wonder Woman voiced by (Susan Eisenberg or Keri Russell) involved

• Like Like x 2
  19. the greenman

I'm actually surprised they haven't taken advantage of the fact WB television is successful. Why no solo Flash or Green Arrow films?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, we did see Green Arrow and Flash featured fairly prominently in the Batman Unlimited movies, so I imagine that was in part a response to the two character's popularity on TV :).

This reminds me that I still wonder if we'll ever see a movie set in the Arrowverse....

I mean, we've got the Vixen DVD release that is being advertised as a movie, but it's just combining both seasons of the web-series with some additional content. It's like an anime compilation movie more then anything else o_O.

Speaking of a Flash movie, a film based on the John Wesley Shipp Flash show would be cool. A part of me thinks we'll be seeing the DC Classics Line serve a role in delivering films based on non-Batman heroes :cool:.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.